General Yuzuru Chat

Hace 2 horas, SuzyQ said:

Why is the Olympic Channel using the picture of 2019?

For what I have seen since Olympics are now owned by the American chain they are trying to diminish Yuzu importance for...reasons. And I suspect that you can purchase articles now. Like pay for something in particular be written, that it's why none of their articles is "neutral" to Yuzu. Right now Olympic Channel it's not a source of reliable information for any sport, sadly.

Nam did an interview with The Ice Tea Podcast today and talked a little about Yuzu and Javi. (Here's the link to the podcast on Spotify, since I failed at embedding the tweet :facepalm:).

Here are most of the Yuzu and Javi bits:

On his tweets about Yuzu's programs at Nationals:

"I just felt that that it was appropriate to show appreciation for Yuzu's program. Like, obviously, I hope everybody has seen it. It's a masterpiece--both short and long, especially the long, like holy moly! The dude is like training like what, ten months without anybody, without any coaching supervision or anything, no like, external motivation. The guy just pulls that out, like butter. Like, I don't even know how he does it. That was incredible, and I just thought, you know, maybe people can share the same views as, 'Wow, that was an incredible performance.' Let's all just, you know, bask in that."

Q: "Imagine a theoretical [world] where some sort of alien lifeform comes to Earth, and they've never seen figure skating before; they have no idea what it is. It's just a completely unfamiliar blank slate. What would be the one program you'd show a complete outsider to be like, 'This is it. This is the sport. This is what we do'?"

Nam picked two performances:

"Javier Fernandez 2019 European Championship program and Yuzu's free program from 2020 Nationals...really capture the whole figure skating spirit--Yuzu's being more majestic, regal with the Heaven and Earth, and Javi with more emotional, spiritual kinda vibe with it."

He then talked about how he teared up watching Javi's final program. "And like, obviously, I split ways from the Cricket back in what, 2016? When I watched [Javi's skate], it put me back into 2015 where him, Yuzu, and I were all training together. And it was just the three of us back then. You know, pushing out our technical content and really just getting the training spirit going, and just to watch that really brought me back...Yeah, those are the two performances that I recommend, for sure."

He talked more about Javi's program and how it embodied Javi's career. "It perfectly represents his entire career. That free program was not one hundred percent clean...and I think that little hiccup perfectly represents his career and his lifestyle. Nothing is always perfect for him and yet he still can adapt to it and push through it, with a little bit of humor, because that's who he is. He's a humorous guy, and everybody who has ever met him, honestly like, should be grateful, because he's a very special person...I miss him a lot. His character is so evident through his skating...When you watch him skate, not only do you know him as a skater, you know him as a person, even though you may have never met him.

"That was kinda my whole thing. Just watching [Javi] go through his career, especially at the Cricket. Like when I first moved to Cricket, I had no idea who these people were. But then, you know, as the years go by, and you know, the emotions we share, it's like, 'Holy damn, we got something special going on,' and you know, unfortunately, it all ended, but obviously at some point in life, you have to move on, right?"

Even though Nam may have parted ways with the Cricket, I'm so happy he still looks back at the old days so fondly and that his respect and admiration for Yuzu and Javi have never changed. I mean, he picked a performance from each of them as examples of the sport, and then naturally brought up his memories from his time at TCC. You can tell he really looks up to them. :softYuzu::cri:

I hope he achieves his dream of making the Olympic team!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
7 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

Nam did an interview with The Ice Tea Podcast today and talked a little about Yuzu and Javi. (Here's the link to the podcast on Spotify, since I failed at embedding the tweet :facepalm:).

Here are most of the Yuzu and Javi bits:

On his tweets about Yuzu's programs at Nationals:

"I just felt that that it was appropriate to show appreciation for Yuzu's program. Like, obviously, I hope everybody has seen it. It's a masterpiece--both short and long, especially the long, like holy moly! The dude is like training like what, ten months without anybody, without any coaching supervision or anything, no like, external motivation. The guy just pulls that out, like butter. Like, I don't even know how he does it. That was incredible, and I just thought, you know, maybe people can share the same views as, 'Wow, that was an incredible performance.' Let's all just, you know, bask in that."

Q: "Imagine a theoretical [world] where some sort of alien lifeform comes to Earth, and they've never seen figure skating before; they have no idea what it is. It's just a completely unfamiliar blank slate. What would be the one program you'd show a complete outsider to be like, 'This is it. This is the sport. This is what we do'?"

Nam picked two performances:

"Javier Fernandez 2019 European Championship program and Yuzu's free program from 2020 Nationals...really capture the whole figure skating spirit--Yuzu's being more majestic, regal with the Heaven and Earth, and Javi with more emotional, spiritual kinda vibe with it."

He then talked about how he teared up watching Javi's final program. "And like, obviously, I split ways from the Cricket back in what, 2016? When I watched [Javi's skate], it put me back into 2015 where him, Yuzu, and I were all training together. And it was just the three of us back then. You know, pushing out our technical content and really just getting the training spirit going, and just to watch that really brought me back...Yeah, those are the two performances that I recommend, for sure."

He talked more about Javi's program and how it embodied Javi's career. "It perfectly represents his entire career. That free program was not one hundred percent clean...and I think that little hiccup perfectly represents his career and his lifestyle. Nothing is always perfect for him and yet he still can adapt to it and push through it, with a little bit of humor, because that's who he is. He's a humorous guy, and everybody who has ever met him, honestly like, should be grateful, because he's a very special person...I miss him a lot. His character is so evident through his skating...When you watch him skate, not only do you know him as a skater, you know him as a person, even though you may have never met him.

"That was kinda my whole thing. Just watching [Javi] go through his career, especially at the Cricket. Like when I first moved to Cricket, I had no idea who these people were. But then, you know, as the years go by, and you know, the emotions we share, it's like, 'Holy damn, we got something special going on,' and you know, unfortunately, it all ended, but obviously at some point in life, you have to move on, right?"

Even though Nam may have parted ways with the Cricket, I'm so happy he still looks back at the old days so fondly and that his respect and admiration for Yuzu and Javi have never changed. I mean, he picked a performance from each of them as examples of the sport, and then naturally brought up his memories from his time at TCC. You can tell he really looks up to them. :softYuzu::cri:

I hope he achieves his dream of making the Olympic team!

Thank you so much for sharing this interview. It makes me cry to remember that this skating trio was torn apart so early... Now they are spread across the globe, separated by thousands of miles... but still loyal and supportive comrades. One of the best stories in the history of figure skating.

EDIT: I just read that one of the pairs at US Nats was skating to Seimei. So the story of Yuzu tributes continues.

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I would agree with the others for B (NDP) and C (PoTo) but I think G may rather be Notte Stellata. I have no clue as to the others, I didn't take time to search in fact. Yet I am under the impression that for A and D, I should know.

I see sparklies.  Lots and lots of sparklies. And some folds.  I'm not even going to guess because, well, I think I'm good on a few of them, but not all, so I'll wait.

During this past seemingly ENDLESS period of IHYS I've been watering myself by watching his programs from Skate Canada 2019 quite a bit, and also the 2020 4CC programs. Since his Nationals performance I've been watching LMEY and H&E exclusively, they are such MASTERPIECES! 

But then when I went back to SCI performances it was suddenly clear HOW MUCH his jump technique has improved since SCI, and I thought it was pretty darn good back then!

It's really quite shocking that he got so much better, with no direct coaching and all the stresses going along with the pandemic. Maybe part of it is attributable to lack of early season competitions, so he is so much more rested and healed than normal for this time of year. 

I also thought it was absolutely amazing that he didn't seem winded AT ALL after the FS, again partly due to being in very good condition presumably, but also maybe the way he structured the program it doesn't use as much energy as Origin did? I don't know how that can be the case, maybe someone else can explain it?

I'm really really excited to see him continue to bring these programs to competition next season (presumably for the Olympics) to see how he continues to improve on perfection!

1 hour ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

I also thought it was absolutely amazing that he didn't seem winded AT ALL after the FS, again partly due to being in very good condition presumably, but also maybe the way he structured the program it doesn't use as much energy as Origin did? I don't know how that can be the case, maybe someone else can explain it?

I still believe that Origin's biggest challenge was the performance. It's a bit similar to other dramatic programs like Masquerade or Romeo & Juliet 1.0. Those are the types of programs that only work, if you die. If you shed your last drop of blood and sweat on the ice.

Remember FaOI 2019 in Toyama? Yuzu only did two jumps in Masquerade, but he sweat like a fountain after the performance. Then he came back, skated the choreo sequence and two final spins of Origin and he dropped to the knees, gasped and choked. Nothing left in the tank. Game over.

If you add a 4-quad or not to mention 5-quad layout to a program like Origin that is suicidal on its own, well. I guess, no other skater in the Milky Way would have survived the first 60 seconds of this monster. Some might have thrown in the towel after the starting pose already.

EDIT: Mom feels that Heaven & Earth is less energy consuming than Origin, because:

"If you imagine the music like an ocean wave, in Origin Yuzu was fighting against a giant wave, in H&E he is riding on the wave."

I like this comparison very much.

15 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

Thank you so much for the link and info. Had so much fun while listening to it, but also loved the serious parts of the Podcast. He gave really good insights to the whole situation he was/is in.

I really love how Nam appreciates Yuzu and how much respect he has for Javi.:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Spoiler

And he is also an ARMY, he wanted to do Dynamite as his exhibition.......well,I hope he checked with Roman beforehand, not that he wanted to skate to it too;).

2 hours ago, Faithyu said:

Thank you so much for the link and info. Had so much fun while listening to it, but also loved the serious parts of the Podcast. He gave really good insights to the whole situation he was/is in.

I really love how Nam appreciates Yuzu and how much respect he has for Javi.:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Reveal hidden contents

And he is also an ARMY, he wanted to do Dynamite as his exhibition.......well,I hope he checked with Roman beforehand, not that he wanted to skate to it too;).

Spoiler

Oh, that's hilarious! I could absolutely see Nam doing Dynamite and hamming it up. I think Dope would suit him very well, too.