General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

I like his calling himself "ore".  It means he is in a casual scene and relaxed and showing his true self :67638860:

Yes, Yuzu has been using "ore" to refer to himself ever since he was a child as evidenced at approximately 3:25 of this video. This was shown to him when he was being interviewed at the age of 15 immediately following his return from the Netherlands after winning the Junior World Championships. At approximately 3:25 of the video, "ore" rolls off primary school aged Yuzu's tongue when he says, "I can't find time to play since the age of kindergarten. But I think that skating is the most fun. So, I don't care even if there is no time to play."

I believe that Yuzu grew up speaking in this colloquial manner with his family and friends and that this is his natural self. As we all know, he is capable of beautiful high level Japanese and being the intelligent and sensitive person that he is, he has always been able to easily adjust his Japanese to suit the listener and the occasion. A case in point is this TV interview when he was 15 years of age. He spoke with a confidence and maturity beyond his years using standard Japanese and without any colloquialisms or trace of dialect. Although the word "I" is used multiple times in the English translation, in his speech it was mostly implied. When he did use a Japanese word for "I" it was "boku".

14 hours ago, Geo1 said:

“Watakushi” or “Watashi” is the standard Japanese form of “I” and not gender specific, but always used by females. “Boku” is a form of “I” commonly used by males. “Ore” is a colloquial or slang form of “I” used by males.

Notice that Yuzu used “omae” when he asked Pooh if he was hurt when he fell off the bench in the Kiss and Cry after “Heaven and Earth”? That is a colloquial or slang form of “you” in place of “anata” or “kimi”.

My understanding is that in almost all cases 'omae' is so casual as to be nearly rude and only to be used with those who you are most familiar with. Pooh must be close to Yuzu's heart indeed

12 hours ago, Umebachi said:

What the non-Japanese speakers might miss is how Yuzu often expresses himself using this very male "voice" and there is no trace of feminity in it.  In these moments you see his poweful dominant self

Considering how all his male competitors either say they find him intimidating or refer to him as 'king', I'm not at all surprised. 

It is quite normal for men to use "ore" in casual settings and use "omae" to address their peers and younger ones if they are close in such settings. I've heard Yuzu call younger skaters like Shoma "omae" in behind-the-scenes footages. His casual language is manlier than most people would expect. He sounds like an older boy in a college sports team ;-)

35 minutes ago, Yuzu_legend said:

This is a pretty good article, but always bugs me when people say "If Yuzuru does X, he will be the greatest of all time."

Mostly because it's a stupid arbitrary title comparing skaters from time periods different enough that it might as well be different sports, with no established measurements (concistency? longevity? completeness? astounding performances? popularity?) which makes the whole thing mostly about what "feels" right. And to be honest, who cares anyway? 

But also, the goalpost is constantly being moved out of Yuzuru's reach. People have been calling him the GOAT or one of the GOATs since at least 2015, and up until the 2018 Olympics people were saying that if he could only repeat as Olympic champion his status as GOAT would be established. Now he suddenly needs yet another medal? I don't doubt that even if he were to re-repeat as olympic champion, making him the most decorated modern olympic figure skater, people would find a way to move the goal further again. 

I don't know why I would expect better of Philip Hersh, but it still annoys me whenever I see it.

Sorry, but I cannot not share my latest dream from yesterday. I had the outrageous luck to watch fragments of Continues With Wings 2022 (hashtag #CiON2:smiley-laughing021:), all three days of the show, and somehow ended up rolling on the carpet.

I put the details in spoilers, because they might turn out to be... true? Maybe? Somehow? :english1:

Spoiler

Most importantly: There was audience! Normal, happy and cheering audience! Is that a sign...? :surprised_pikachu:

I don't know what the exact concept of the show was, but unlike 2018 it was not that typical 'Yuzu and friends' party but rather a gathering of all his main rivals, among them Chiddy, Dai, Javi, Shoma, Boyang, Nathan... and they all joined the 'Yuzu Q&A corner' again. Yuzu seemed to refuse any form of translation help this time and interviewed Chiddy, Javi and Nate directly in English :laughing: It's a pity that I can't remember what they were talking and chuckling about.

Also, Yuzu stuck to his epic program flashback marathon and I completely lost it, especially after day 2 :xD:

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3

Costume

POTO 2.0

Purple Origin and

slicked back hairstyle

Hope & Legacy
Programs

Firebird

POTO

Otonal

LGC

Origin

LMEY

White Legend

Hope & Legacy

Heaven & Earth

I honestly don't know, if he was able to survive day 2 in reality, physically. It's some hell of a content, even without jumps.

However, it was a dream that I will burn on my retina and fix in my memories. Forever. Thank you 2021 for this awesome experience so early in the new year. 

5 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Sorry, but I cannot not share my latest dream from yesterday. I had the outrageous luck to watch fragments of Continues With Wings 2022 (hashtag #CiON2:smiley-laughing021:), all three days of the show, and somehow ended up rolling on the carpet.

I put the details spoilers, because they might turn out to be... true? Maybe? Somehow? :english1:

Hide contents

Most importantly: There was audience! Normal, happy and cheering audience! Is that a sign...? :surprised_pikachu:

I don't know what the exact concept of the show was, but unlike 2018 it was not that typical 'Yuzu and friends' party but rather a gathering of all his main rivals, among them Chiddy, Dai, Javi, Shoma, Boyang, Nathan... and they all joined the 'Yuzu Q&A corner' again. Yuzu seemed to refuse any form of translation help this time and interviewed Chiddy, Javi and Nate directly in English :laughing: It's a pity that I can't remember what they were talking and chuckling about.

Also, Yuzu stuck to his epic program flashback marathon and I completely lost it, especially after day 2 :xD:

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3

Costume

POTO 2.0

Purple Origin and

slicked back hairstyle

Hope & Legacy
Programs

Firebird

POTO

Otonal

LGC

Origin

LMEY

White Legend

Hope & Legacy

Heaven & Earth

I honestly don't know, if he was able to survive day 2 in reality, physically. It's some hell of a content, even without jumps.

However, it was a dream that I will burn on my retina and fix in my memories. Forever. Thank you 2021 for this awesome experience so early in the new year. 

Can somebody invent a dream recorder and time machine like now? We need to send them to the night that @Henni147 had the dream!!

TBH I don't think I'd survive day 2 so I need paramedics stand by as well...:10742290: 

Hace 11 horas, SuzyQ said:

:smiley-laughing021:

My aunt (75 years old) used to say, "I can't learn new technology anymore, so I don't need recording facility. It's just OK if I can watch TV."

Now she has installed a recording tuner for Yuzuru Hanyu.

That's all from the scene.

Sending my love to that aunt!!! :worship::tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw::cool2:

Hace 10 horas, caterpillar said:

This is a pretty good article, but always bugs me when people say "If Yuzuru does X, he will be the greatest of all time."

Mostly because it's a stupid arbitrary title comparing skaters from time periods different enough that it might as well be different sports, with no established measurements (concistency? longevity? completeness? astounding performances? popularity?) which makes the whole thing mostly about what "feels" right. And to be honest, who cares anyway? 

But also, the goalpost is constantly being moved out of Yuzuru's reach. People have been calling him the GOAT or one of the GOATs since at least 2015, and up until the 2018 Olympics people were saying that if he could only repeat as Olympic champion his status as GOAT would be established. Now he suddenly needs yet another medal? I don't doubt that even if he were to re-repeat as olympic champion, making him the most decorated modern olympic figure skater, people would find a way to move the goal further again. 

I don't know why I would expect better of Philip Hersh, but it still annoys me whenever I see it.

Don’t mind H* at all, he already said before PC Yuzu would definitely be the GOAT if he’d take the gold. So credibility is not a word linked to him...:hairflip:

2 hours ago, caterpillar said:

if Yuzu decides to compete at the Beijing Olympics, these people better show how thankful they are bc at this point Yuzu doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone, he’s a legend of figure skating for years already PERIODT. I hate the way the narrative keeps on changing. Sometimes the media talks as if he is a legend from the past, and then bam they change it to how they expect him to do so and so. 

Before PC oly, all media tried to belittle his achievements (sochi oly, his WRs etc), so I’m not surprised they will try to belittle his achievements once again now that we’re closer to a new oly season (if it does happen). 

I just hate how EVERYONE expects him to do more than others. The judges, the media, sport critics etc like I don’t think any other athletes would survive this long if they face the same treatments as Yuzu.