General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I wish every satellite and lurker on Planet Hanyu a safe, healthy and Happy New Year!

May the day soon arrive that we can physically support our beloved Yuzu in person safely.

In the meantime, let us all continue to be the light in our homes, our communities...and to each other during difficult times!  I have lost family members to Covid 19, and live in a community where we have the highest per capita Covid 19 infections but we will get through this if we remember to care for each other and to care for ourselves.  Ask for help when you feel down, blue or hopeless.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your family members. I send you my condolences.:8788161:

[NEWS]

3 hours ago, Anni said:

Was it Continues with Wings where Yuzu accidentally used “ore” in the middle of an audience talk, caught himself, and changed to “boku”? I think I remember something like that happening once.

I won’t pretend to understand the system of which pronouns to choose for yourself in Japanese and when, but I did find that particular moment interesting from a linguistic perspective.

(Also interesting: that selfie is very different from the one Yuzu took with Camden at SCI 2019.)

3 hours ago, caterpillar said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the difference between 'ore', 'boku' and 'watashi'? 

I tried googling it but the answers were a bit contradictory 

“Watakushi” or “Watashi” is the standard Japanese form of “I” and not gender specific, but always used by females. “Boku” is a form of “I” commonly used by males. “Ore” is a colloquial or slang form of “I” used by males.

Notice that Yuzu used “omae” when he asked Pooh if he was hurt when he fell off the bench in the Kiss and Cry after “Heaven and Earth”? That is a colloquial or slang form of “you” in place of “anata” or “kimi”.

4 hours ago, caterpillar said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the difference between 'ore', 'boku' and 'watashi'? 

I tried googling it but the answers were a bit contradictory 

Watashi or Watakushi 私 literally refers to the private self and is used to mean "I" in a formal/official/public setting by all gender and by most persons.  (I say "most" because the imperial personages do not use this term in a formal speech.)   This form of "I" is also used by female speakers in an informal or private/personal setting, e.g., with family or friends.   A man or boy would NEVER NEVER use this term in an informal/casual setting.  It would be considered either being too formal and off-putting in such a setting, or just weird.  It's somewhat like using vous to your close friend, in French, but perhaps evokes an even stronger feeling of inappropriateness. 

Male speakers use the term boku 僕 in both formal and informal /private settings, and this goes for male speaker of any age, and generally when speaking among peers.  When speaking with those who are above you in status or age, it would be more appropriate to use a formal tone even in a casual setting, hence "watashi" would be OK for men if the etiquette calls for a show of deference to the other person.  More often, we don't use any subject in a setting.  It's understood you are referring to your "self" and it's egotistical always to be referring to yourself "me, me, me, I, I, I!!"

When male speakers want to talk in a masculine manner, they will use "ore"  俺 .  It's a more aggressive term than "boku" - which is quite neutral - and this term is generally not used in a polite/formal setting (unless you are a macho personality and want to impress the audience with your masculinity by using "ore" throughout an interview). 

What the non-Japanese speakers might miss is how Yuzu often expresses himself using this very male "voice" and there is no trace of feminity in it.  In these moments you see his poweful dominant self peeking out, and then he turns around and speaks in a gentle tone to his Pooh like a caring papa bear.  The duality of man... 

10 時間前, caterpillarさんが言いました:

これはおそらくばかげた質問ですが、「オレ」、「ボク」、「ワタシ」の違いは何ですか? 

グーグルしてみましたが、答えが少し矛盾していました 

I like his calling himself "ore".  It means he is in a casual scene and relaxed and showing his true self :67638860:

Thank you @梅八 for your detailed explanation :8122685:  

49 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

I like his calling himself "ore".  It means he is in a casual scene and relaxed and showing his true self :67638860:

Thank you @梅八 for your detailed explanation :8122685:  

Yuzu usually uses “Ore” when speaking casually with other men and he is careful not to use that tone when speaking casually with women. He has fine sensitivities. 

@SuzyQ  

:offtopic2:
Thank you for using kanji for my PH name -   actually it would be written as 梅鉢. The second kanji is the word for vessel - it refers to Plum in a Vessel. It’s my family crest -  in remembrance of our erstwhile ancestor who wrote poignant verses while in exile about the plum blossoms of Kyoto. (From Heian period same as Seimei). Funny how we can talk with other fanyus about Japanese history by referencing his program. 😆   

I am exceedingly late (my apologies), but I wish that everyone on this forum will have a very happy New Year where their best wishes will come true!

Thank you so much Yuzuru for all that you have given us, we'll always be supporting you.

To those that have lost loved ones to COVID-19, I hope that the pain eases soon. I offer my deepest condolences.

May 2021 be a year of health, happiness, and regrowth. :wink_star:

1 時間前, Umebachiさんが言いました:

Yuzu usually uses “Ore” when speaking casually with other men and he is careful not to use that tone when speaking casually with women. He has fine sensitivities. 

@SuzyQ  

:offtopic2:
Thank you for using kanji for my PH name -   actually it would be written as 梅鉢. The second kanji is the word for vessel - it refers to Plum in a Vessel. It’s my family crest -  in remembrance of our erstwhile ancestor who wrote poignant verses while in exile about the plum blossoms of Kyoto. (From Heian period same as Seimei). Funny how we can talk with other fanyus about Japanese history by referencing his program. 😆   

Sorry to say this, but it was not my intention :smiley-scared003:

After @ mark, it appeared automatically, and I believed it had occurred on my PC only, and clicked it.  I didn't know the same happened on your PC.

I recently use automatic translation to read some accumulated posts as it takes me time to read English although the translation is not perfect enough.  And I noticed that some do not go back to the original English texts even after re-loaded.  My posts I wrote originally in English and other referred posts have never returned to English even after resetting PC :14066882: 

Anyway, thank you for sharing the history of 梅鉢 (this is not an automatic translation believe me).  It was very interesting, and really impressive if Umebachi is translated into 梅鉢 automatically proving its history :smartass: 

Sorry for :offtopic2:continued.

36 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Sorry to say this, but it was not my intention :smiley-scared003:

After @ mark, it appeared automatically, and I believed it had occurred on my PC only, and clicked it.  I didn't know the same happened on your PC.

I recently use automatic translation to read some accumulated posts as it takes me time to read English although the translation is not perfect enough.  And I noticed that some do not go back to the original English texts even after re-loaded.  My posts I wrote originally in English and other referred posts have never returned to English even after resetting PC :14066882: 

Anyway, thank you for sharing the history of 梅鉢 (this is not an automatic translation believe me).  It was very interesting, and really impressive Umebachi is translated into 梅鉢 automatically proving its history :smartass: 

Sorry for :offtopic2:continued.

No problem at all! I don't mind - it gave us a chance for this exchange.  Anyway, as a Japanese, you would recognize the story as that of Sugawara-no-Michizane-ko.  Alas, I don't think Michizane-ko's story lends itself to a dramatic figure skating performance: he was a bureaucrat, a reformist, and a scholar who got kicked out of the Heian court (Kyoto) for stubbornly getting in the way of the Fujiwara power brokers (forgive me if this sounds too flippant towards Tenjin-sama).   Looking back, my career kind of traced a similar pathway, although nothing so grandiose, dramatic or artistic, lol!  After toiling for decades in humongous bureacracies of international finance, here I find myself on a Canadian island in a sort of an exile (a happy exile), pining for the fragrant flowers of homeland - represented by Yuzu-kun! - and occasionally indulging in nostalgic reflections on the Planet H forum.