General Yuzuru Chat

7 分, rockstaryuzuさんが言いました:

The article I read said it was the same online program of Human Information Sciences that Yuzu did.

As @Paskudsaid, I think their departments are different.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/0dbc581e9b6e77f16f0151fc7063f7650537aed7

Yuzuru: 人間情報科学 Human Informatics and Cognitive Sciences

Rika:  健康福祉科学 Health Sciences and Social Welfare

https://www.waseda.jp/fhum/hum/en/about/faculty/

13 hours ago, river said:

Okay, here's the rule they're citing from the tech panel handbook:

"Spin in one position with change of foot: less than 2 revolutions in a basic position on one foot

If a spin in one position with change of foot is executed with a basic position with not less than 2 revolutions on one foot only and no basic position with not less than 2 revolutions on the other foot, it will receive: In Short Program no value. In Free Skating it will be marked with sign “V”."

So the claim is that Yuzu didn't hit 2 consecutive revolutions in a basic position after the change of foot. I was a little harsher than Jackie when I rewatched the spin frame-by-frame (not sure his thigh is quite parallel to the ice when Jackie started counting) and I still got 2 revolutions before he changed positions and broke the basic position for a second. It's a ridiculous call. Especially given what passes for a "sit position" for many other male skaters - sometimes if you watch closely they never get parallel.

Wow, I'm horribly behind. You guys are amazing with your posts. :lol:

Anyway, not sure if this was already posted, but someone compared the spins of various skaters:

16 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Hanyu is experimenting with looks, but has given up on difficult jumps

Hanyu has been acting somewhat arrogant towards viewers and rivals over the past few years, returning programs from past years from year to year. The apotheosis was the decision to return the short under Chopin that season for ... the fourth time. Therefore, Yuzuru could not go to the Japanese championship with the old programs, and even a pandemic would not be an excuse.

Yuzu has given up on difficult jumps? Does that mean, the 4Lo is considered as an easy hop now?

Also, since when do other skaters go full force with their layouts in their first program outings?

About Yuzu and recycling: How many different variations of insult have I read over the last few years...?

Hanyu is not versatile. Hanyu is lazy. Hanyu is a coward. Now he is even arrogant... Did I miss something?

Random question: How many people were mocking Javi for recycling Malaguena three times?

Honestly, I'm so tired of this recycling debate. Especially because Yuzu is one of very few skaters, who's actually able to improve and polish his programs from season to season. He is not reusing but remastering, which is a big difference. But what is quality worth nowadays...

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Lol there’s an over the top article in a Russian online news outlet about Yuzu’s new programs and his outing at the Nationals. 
https://amp.sport24.ru/news/figureskating/2020-12-28-yudzuru-khanyu-korotkaya-programma-video-yudzuru-khanyu-proizvolnaya-programma-analitika-razbor-postanovka

This post has been tagged by robin as [NEWS].

Yo this is what an article should be about! 

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Yuzu has given up on difficult jumps? Does that mean, the 4Lo is considered as an easy hop now?

Also, since when do other skaters go full force with their layouts in their first program outings?

About Yuzu and recycling: How many different variations of insult have I read over the last few years...?

Hanyu is not versatile. Hanyu is lazy. Hanyu is a coward. Now he is even arrogant... Did I miss something?

Random question: How many people were mocking Javi for recycling Malaguena three times?

Honestly, I'm so tired of this recycling debate. Especially because Yuzu is one of very few skaters, who's actually able to improve and polish his programs from season to season. He is not reusing but remastering, which is a big diference. But what is quality worth nowadays...

Id take a recycle program that keeps getting polished with new elements than  4 new programs with the same exact layout, recycled choreo, and people skating through the music anytime

18 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't know how to shorten it :dontdothistome:

I'd like to share some thoughts about a potential SP for the future (if Yuzu intends to do another one after LMEY for the Olympics or whatever occasion).

In general

When Yuzu said that he and Jeff struggled to find a good piano music, I had to think of an advice from my former dance teacher:

"When you are searching for a new music piece, think about your biggest strength as a technician, as a performer and as a person. Pick a music piece that highlights those three strengths as good as possible."

I'm really curious, where Yuzu sees his biggest strengths himself. He has so many. I tried to think about it myself and I'm curious, if you agree:

1. Technically I see Yuzu as an allrounder, but his biggest strength is probably his high quality of execution. For me this is what sets him apart from the rest in the first place. Thankfully, an SP is not that packed with jumps, so he has the time and stamina to show his full range of technical skills there.
  2. As a performer Yuzu has a very special aura that only he has. He doesn't need to draw in the crowd. The crowd comes to him and this gives him a lot of freedom. He is able to create a world or setting around him that makes you forget about competition.
  3. As a person, what fascinates me the most is him having so many different faces. Especially the way he transcends any gender stereotypes with dignity is something that probably only he can do. Masculine or feminine or gender neutral. It never feels grotesque, but completely natural and authentic.

In Romeo and Juliet Yuzu has already tried to portray two different characters, but I think, he did not quite have the maturity at that time to switch between the roles of Romeo and Juliet alone through his expression and body language. Today he definitely has the maturity to do that and it would be super exciting to see imo.

In particular

For the SP I could picture a program with a similar concept. Imagine a tango that is meant to be danced with two, but skated alone by Yuzu portraying both - an elegant, passionate man and a graceful, sensual woman - and switching between the two roles back and forth. It would be very challenging, but also something absolutely unique and thrilling that has never been done in that form yet, as far as I remember. It would be a whole other level of performance skill.

As a costume I could picture something like this:

Hide contents

As a music piece I could imagine Francesca Gagnon's "Querer". It's not too fast, but has a rhythm that I think is very suitable for jumping, spinning and also for long gliding on one foot with nice deep edges (including Yuzu's praised cool-down moves that we hardly get to see in competition).

Here is an excerpt from the lyrics that I found especially fitting for him:

Querer

Entre cielo y mar

Sin fuerza de gravedad

Sentimiento de libertad

Querer

Sin jamas esperar

Dar solo para dar

Siempre y todavia mas

Amar

Para poder luchar

Contra el viento y volar

Descubrir la belleza del mar

Want

Between sky and sea

Without gravity

Feeling of freedom

Want

Without ever expect

Give only to give

Always and still more

Love

To fight

Against the wind and fly

Discover the beauty of the sea

Ahhh I love everything about your idea, you put so much thought and work into it too! I watched the video and thought if Yuzuru skated to that I might actually die lol!!!

Yuzuru could definitely pull it off too, but I know we have talked on here previously about how some seem to long for a return in the men's to more "masculine" skating (whatever that might mean!! thinking of Kaori's throat slashing of judges move lol) and that view has maybe gained traction with the seemingly high scoring of certain skaters etc etc...

Anyway, Yuzuru doesn't seem worried about it if his gorgeous H&E costume and programme and music choice and subject choice is anything to go by :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw: yay!

38 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Ahhh I love everything about your idea, you put so much thought and work into it too! I watched the video and thought if Yuzuru skated to that I might actually die lol!!!

Yuzuru could definitely pull it off too, but I know we have talked on here previously about how some seem to long for a return in the men's to more "masculine" skating (whatever that might mean!! thinking of Kaori's throat slashing of judges move lol) and that view has maybe gained traction with the seemingly high scoring of certain skaters etc etc...

Anyway, Yuzuru doesn't seem worried about it if his gorgeous H&E costume and programme and music choice and subject choice is anything to go by :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw: yay!

I had the impression that Yuzu is a person who always stays true to himself and his style. He does what he likes and he likes what he does. With heart and dignity. He doesn't succumb to any prevalent stereotypes or gender expectations.

For him things like crying, which are considered as "unmanly" or a sign of weakness by many people, are not a weakness at all. As he said himself this week, he even uses crying as a source of strength before competitions. For me his way of thinking feels very refreshing and sort of "ahead of his time".

It also reminds me very much of his own quote: "The driving force for growth is to have an open heart."