General Yuzuru Chat

27 minutes ago, Pammi said:

I feel a bit like I have crashed today, after the highs of the last few days, and partly due to the unkindness found on social media,

But from what I have seen, the vast majority of social media has been overwhelmingly positive, an outpouring of love and happiness and appreciation. It is true that, just as he has by far the largest number of fans, he also has the most antis simply because of his status but he can't be unaware that most of Japan, and huge numbers of people around the world, love both programs and are thrilled that he is again the National Champion.

I have to admit, I have very high expectations of Yuzu's performances, like a lot of us do- because he soooooooooo reliably delivers. And he's never disappointed me, even when it's not his best skate, even when he comes in second. Because he always puts his EVERYTHING into the performance.

After 10 months training alone, new programs, total lack of support resources, inadequate rink time (presumably), what could we expect this time? 

Well, he gave us 2 of the MOST MARVELOUS PERFORMANCES ever seen!!! The artistry, the dichotomy, the SOLID technique! I died when I heard him say that, of course in competition you're never sure you can perform to your capabilities but that MOST of his run throughs in training have been like that (perfection)!!!

I was instantly smitten by LMEY, I've been dying to see him do something HOT since Masquarade. I can watch this one ten million times, it is so fun!

Heaven & Earth is clearly a masterpiece, and something that he'll be able to polish to a brilliant diamond in time for Beijing (if we're fortunate enough to see him there). I confess, it maybe took me a few hours to fall in love with it, but I mostly blame my sleep deprived state, being a midwesterner insanely trying to follow Japanese figure skating live LOL.

But once I was able to focus on the flow of his performance, I began to understand his pacing and the overall picture he was painting. At first, I could see the individual brilliant parts but not how they all worked together. And I do think I'm a bit hampered by my "western" view of music and structure, but I wouldn't want to be a person who can't learn to enjoy other cultures. 

It feels its a little like the difference between reading a non-fiction book versus poetry. I read novels almost daily, it's easy for me. To read poetry, I have to concentrate and put some effort into understanding it. But when it's GOOD, there is a big reward for the 'effort'.

Yuzu is poetry to me. He has once again surpassed himself in the most extraordinary way. He brings such depth and meaning to his artistry. What did we ever do to deserve this magical being in our lives?? Honestly, I feel like my brain has severely overloaded with the ecstasy of what he has accomplished.

THANK YOU YUZURU, we can never repay you, but we will never stop loving you and supporting you!

:cri:

9 minutes ago, TallyT said:

But from what I have seen, the vast majority of social media has been overwhelmingly positive, an outpouring of love and happiness and appreciation.

You are right, of course!

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to just discuss about the two new programs (if we need a new thread specific for the two, admin/mod please move!) but could I hear more of your opinions on the two? How would you rate/rank them against his past programs? The Japanese Nationals sp and fs were mostly filled with our excitement and screams so I didn't see too many analyses there. I also have stayed away from reading comments other platforms like twitter or youtube. 

(I really wish they'd leave out the ina bauer and back spiral from H&E. the elements were so poorly placed imo.)

I enjoy very much LMEY but at the moment, I find it a bit less bright technically than the gem that is LGC, and less subtle than tongue-in-cheek PW. I wonder if he chose and co-choreographed it just as a program for a very diminished 2020-2021 season and later for shows and galas, or in view of the Olympics... or in view of jumping 4A. After a 4A he would certainly not be able to skate as he did at Worlds 2017 (my preferred version in spite of this small mistake in the combo and the big judging "error" on it). This doesn't prevent me from watching it many times.

As to H&E, it is a masterpiece and I hope that, either he will skate it in Beijing, or he will skate it in 2022-2023 if Worlds are in Japan and he decides to skate competitively until then. I know I will always wish more of it.

Yes, I must be deaf but there is one moment rather near the beginning, when I find the music would suit any other skater but cannot support his skate. It is a part with orchestral music and I find the composition to be "on the lower limit" (but I know he likes to have one such moment; and I had the same problem with Origin and in its last version I think it was cut) and the execution/the sound rather poor. I wonder if an orchestra could play it to have a better version? But as a whole it is wonderful and when I watched it, at no moment I thought of SEIMEI. I am not a musical analyst but I really don't see any likeness between these two programs, except that they portray a Japanese historical character? Same for the costume. So I cannot but suspect some prejudice (or pure bad faith!) for those who write the two programs are similar.

And when I think he will certainly perfect his skating with time, I really wonder how it is possible but it is always the same with him. He is more perfect than my ideal of perfection.

29 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

I don't know if this has already been posted. Yuzu commenting on his own FS with English subtitles. :dancingpooh:

I love the bits where he seems to get lost in the music as he watches himself - his face and expression is so lovely :softYuzu:

Thoughts on the programs:

LMEY: A quick review of my Youtube history since Christmas will tell you I really like this one. It's fun. It's upbeat. It showcases a side of Yuzu I thought he might have put away for good. And he likes skating it! The K&C audio catches him saying 楽しかった ("that was fun") while watching the replay. It's been too long since he seemed that happy while skating. From a choreography standpoint, my only complaint is that he needs to commit more to one particular moment near the beginning. You all know the one, I'm sure. You can't get away with something that surprising and only half do it, although I'm not sure how much more he can do while skating. Also, maybe his arms get a little wild during the StSq? They fit the music, but I can see a judge who was inclined to do so knocking off a GOE point for it.

I can't see him only competing with a program twice, but I do worry that if the Olympics go forward, it won't seem a "serious" enough program for a gold medal contender next season. Which is dumb IMO but alas, as I am not an ISU judge, my opinion doesn't matter. Also, from a costuming perspective, I'd like to see him go with pants that are a little more fitted and more matte with that top. Might restrict his movement, though.

H&E: Oh man. I got goosebumps. The placement of the sit spin with the music is probably my favorite musical accent. The program itself is brilliantly constructed. Somehow, he and SLB have managed to create a 4 quad FS with 2 backloaded 4T combos that still has breathing room. My major concern is being able to increase the base value if needed without interrupting the choreography. Let's face it, if Nathan manages to do a 6 quad free skate now that his 4Lo is back, Yuzu will need 5 quads minimum to compete with him.

Also, will some judges be Eurocentric enough to think that it's a rehash of SEIMEI? H&E and SEIMEI are obviously completely different, but that's not the view I've seen in certain corners of the Internet. Of course, the people saying that complain when Yuzu does his more lyrical, elegant programs, and they complain when he steps a little out of his comfort zone - so I suppose to them he can't do anything right and therefore, their opinions on him shouldn't matter at all.

As a pair, I think they showcase two completely different aspects of his skating and personality brilliantly. I'm curious if he'll hang on to them next season - he'll likely only get to skate them twice this season, which seems a shame. Especially going into the Olympics, it might be nice to keep them, as they'll be familiar by then but no serious critic could say they're overused. (Selfishly, I hope he keeps them. I look forward to possibly being able to see them both live one day.)

It was revealed on the 28th that the average household audience rating of "All Japan Figure Skating Championships 2020 Men's Singles Free" (7:00 pm), which was broadcast live on Fuji TV on the 26th, was 13.2%. The highest audience rating at the moment marked 21.6% at 9:16 pm.

The final run, Yuzuru Hanyu (26) = ANA =, was performing a new Japanese-style program "Heaven and Earth".

The average household audience rating of the "Men's Short Program" (9:15 pm) broadcast on the same station on the 25th was 11.9%. From 10:24 pm to 27 pm, the highest audience rating at the moment was 15.2%. (Numbers are from Kanto area, according to video research)

https://hochi.news/articles/20201228-OHT1T50046.html

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

I love love love LMEY. It could be cos the song brings back fond memories and the rock genre is up my alley. But I also feel the program works structurally and the choreo brings out the music accents well especially from 3A onwards. 

H&E is a potential masterpiece and I love it too but in a different way. I’m glad he’s not winded skating H&E. He was well within the limits of his endurance and stamina. BV considerations aside, the jumps matched the musical ebbs and flows, especially the seamless fluid 4S - 3A2T - 3Lo series of jumps.

I do see however some stretches where the choreo could be enhanced/ padded up. This seems more like an issue due to lack of face to face practice time w SLB. I hv no probs with the music (I’m Asian and used to this kind of contemplative BGM in martial arts historical epics). But I do think the choreo could be polished, to do his intentions and the music justice

For anyone who wants the music to just listen on their devices, people have already put together cuts of his music... maybe not quite perfect (I have a feeling he puts so much and time work into them, t would be impossible to replicate so fast) but just listening to the music of H&E, I like it for itself.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to just discuss about the two new programs (if we need a new thread specific for the two, admin/mod please move!) but could I hear more of your opinions on the two? How would you rate/rank them against his past programs? The Japanese Nationals sp and fs were mostly filled with our excitement and screams so I didn't see too many analyses there. I also have stayed away from reading comments other platforms like twitter or youtube. 

(I really wish they'd leave out the ina bauer and back spiral from H&E. the elements were so poorly placed imo.)

Agree. I don’t think the Ina Bauer added much to the program. The last spin too didn’t seem to match the music with the exception of the raising of hands to the sky to the last note of music.

I wonder if he could end with a jump ie 3A similar to Beautiful storm. 

Just to add what I love about the program: The middle portions including the step sequence are beautiful and languid. And the dramatic pause in the middle where he covers his face and then raises his hand? Absolutely gorgeous 

33 minutes ago, Sukigirl said:

Just to add what I love about the program: The middle portions including the step sequence are beautiful and languid. And the dramatic pause in the middle where he covers his face and then raises his hand? Absolutely gorgeous 

YESSSS. It's like watching a theatrical performance, which I've never seen in his programs, or any skating program honestly.

It's not a Yuzu's program without past reference=)))