General Yuzuru Chat

12 minutes ago, cereus said:

I appreciate folks who are willing to see and respond to such comments (I'm not thick-skinned enough to do it) because I hope some people are willing to question their assumptions when they're pointed out. A lot of the Eurocentrism in figure skating is willful but some of it is ignorance, and ignorance can be remedied.

Yeah. I honestly don’t have the capacity to understand their POV. I look at this program and my first reaction is being in awe and I didn’t need any backstory and interpretation or any deeper understanding of the program to reach this state. I immediately knew how brilliant it was. I don’t get why people wouldn’t have my reaction and don’t want to waste any more time or breath discounting or understanding why they wouldn’t. 

There was also one question, if I remember correctly about his spins, where he answered something along the lines of "I'll work on it with my coaches". So I don't think he's planning on cutting contact with TCC completely (though he did not name the coaches specifically,  I assumed he meant the TCC coaches). Yuzu is obviously very independent, but it has to be mentally taxing in the long run.

Plus rink access issues, as mentioned by paskud. 

7 hours ago, memae said:

I'm already tired of people calling Heaven and Earth boring because the music doesn't follow a western structure.

Whoever said that has something wrong with their ears.

About Yuzu training alone and his reaction to it: remember that at TCC, he works with a group of other skaters, many of whom have become good training comrades and friends. He's got to be missing all that, not just having coaches. Think of how emotional yuzu was when he found out Javi was retiring and wasn't going to be training with him anymore. Now think of how hard it must have hit when Yuzu realized that Jun, Jason, Evgenia, Katerina, Conrad, Joseph etc suddenly were not going to be by his side training every day, for the foreseeable future. Like, seriously, does no one realize he likes his training mates and probably misses them horribly? 

I'm sure he'd be back at TCC like a shot the second it's safe. 

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to just discuss about the two new programs (if we need a new thread specific for the two, admin/mod please move!) but could I hear more of your opinions on the two? How would you rate/rank them against his past programs? The Japanese Nationals sp and fs were mostly filled with our excitement and screams so I didn't see too many analyses there. I also have stayed away from reading comments other platforms like twitter or youtube. 

(I really wish they'd leave out the ina bauer and back spiral from H&E. the elements were so poorly placed imo.)

It would be interesting to know Satoko's plans re: returning to Toronto. Canada has closed its borders but many people come and go all the time. If she is allowed to go back without much difficulty (earlier in the summer there was uncertainty about entry) then the possibility exists for Yuzu to do the same should he so wish. At this time of heightened alert because of the new variants currently spreading it might not be something he'd want to risk now, and with winter it's projected to get worse, but just knowing admission is possible would be something worth knowing. Even though Ontario has just started lockdown for a month (Toronto extends their lockdown), high performance athletes are allowed to train.

I have never fallen so instantly in love with everything about a performance/programme as I did on my first viewing of H&E on Saturday.  Yuzuru, so beautiful in his costume before the music even started, and the music - to me it was beauty itself - magical, and became more so as Yuzuru weaved his story in that flawless performance and portrayal of Lord Uesugi/himself.  I suppose for those with no ear for music nor eye for expression of music through dance might feel "bored", but I think it's due to ignorance, or maybe just some distorted enjoyment gained from the demeaning of somebody who others hold in such high esteem and who  brings so much joy, and who shows at all times the dignity of the human spirit....I dont understand it, but agree we should fight it with positivity and, like Yuzuru, continue to always show a respectful manner to others.  They are entitled to their opinion of course (even though they are wrong lol!!!).  I feel a bit like I have crashed today, after the highs of the last few days, and partly due to the unkindness found on social media, but I remember that Yuzuru wanted to bring a sense of fun and enjoyment, and also hope and beauty, to us in this difficult time - I want to take that gift with me into the new year and the months to come as we try our best to move forward through this pandemic with care for ourselves and care for others. He should know from us that what he did this weekend was wonderful, it lifted our spirits, and helped us to face the difficulties ahead.  (Also, because most of us love sport and competition, we are just so delighted for him that he WON and is again the National Champion!!!) :cheer:

24 minutes ago, liv said:

It would be interesting to know Satoko's plans re: returning to Toronto. Canada has closed its borders but many people come and go all the time. If she is allowed to go back without much difficulty (earlier in the summer there was uncertainty about entry) then the possibility exists for Yuzu to do the same should he so wish. At this time of heightened alert because of the new variants currently spreading it might not be something he'd want to risk now, and with winter it's projected to get worse, but just knowing admission is possible would be something worth knowing. Even though Ontario has just started lockdown for a month (Toronto extends their lockdown), high performance athletes are allowed to train.

All that is dependent on what kind of visa they have for entry to Canada, though.

25 minutes ago, liv said:

Perhaps if he is vaccinated sometime this spring, he'd feel safer returning to Canada.  I know I'll feel safer.