General Yuzuru Chat

Served him well after 5 yrs:))

Btw the only thing i prefer some change in the FS is the costume's color. But when I think about how parissiene walkway, chopin and H&L (his winning skates in Olympics and Worlds) are all blue-ish I feel he should just keep it lol. Thou a darker hue might stand out more on white ice and accentuate flower and bird patterns better

This post has been tagged by Fay as [NEWS].
57 minutes ago, Purple said:

It is because in actual translations we are not supposed to explain the meaning behind the words.

If the original speaker says "A, B,C and D", it's supposed to be translated as such. It is up to the audience/reader to interpret the meaning behind those words.

Some paraphrasing may be used but translations is that : translate the words from language A to B. Explanations is supposed to be done by the original speaker to convey his meaning.

If you are taking translation at it's most shallow form, sure. There is a reason however, that "translator" is a profession, and not just any bilingual person can translate.

My native language is Indonesian. My active language due to where I live and am currently doing a postgrad at, is English. I technically speak these two languages fluently, or near fluently. I would never do Indonesian - English translation unless no one else can do it, because I have neither the talent nor the training to do so. And structural-wise, Indonesian-English translation is no where near as complex as Japanese (or any of the east asian languages, really) - English translation. My cousin, who is a professional translator, would also disagree with you on this.

Here's a quote from Ken Liu, a novelist and translator who translated Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem (book 1 and 3) from Chinese to English (another nuanced languages translations).

"The act of translation involves breaking down one piece of work in one language and ferrying the pieces across a gulf to reconstitute them into a new work in another language... Overly literal translation, far from being faithful, actually distort meaning by obscuring sense..." (taken from Translator Postscript of The Three Body Problem - book 1).

And no, the speaker (in this case Yuzuru) is not supposed to offer explanation of his words (spoken in Japanese, which will be understood completely by Japanese people/speakers - who are most often the target audience) so that audience/readers who do not speak the language understand the meaning. If he does, that's a generous gesture. BUT, he is not supposed to do it.

1 hour ago, yuzupon said:

If you are taking translation at it's most shallow form, sure. There is a reason however, that "translator" is a profession, and not just any bilingual person can translate.

My native language is Indonesian. My active language due to where I live and am currently doing a postgrad at, is English. I technically speak these two languages fluently, or near fluently. I would never do Indonesian - English translation unless no one else can do it, because I have neither the talent nor the training to do so. And structural-wise, Indonesian-English translation is no where near as complex as Japanese (or any of the east asian languages, really) - English translation. My cousin, who is a professional translator, would also disagree with you on this.

Here's a quote from Ken Liu, a novelist and translator who translated Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem (book 1 and 3) from Chinese to English (another nuanced languages translations).

"The act of translation involves breaking down one piece of work in one language and ferrying the pieces across a gulf to reconstitute them into a new work in another language... Overly literal translation, far from being faithful, actually distort meaning by obscuring sense..." (taken from Translator Postscript of The Three Body Problem - book 1).

And no, the speaker (in this case Yuzuru) is not supposed to offer explanation of his words (spoken in Japanese, which will be understood completely by Japanese people/speakers - who are most often the target audience) so that audience/readers who do not speak the language understand the meaning. If he does, that's a generous gesture. BUT, he is not supposed to do it.

I mean the original speaker is supposed explain what he meant after that one sentence. We are not supposed to guess & explain the meaning ourselves cos the original speaker's meaning could be totally different.

English to Indonesian and vice versa is not that hard. I occasionally translate sports article from malay to english(so now you know which country I'm from).

Lets say the athlete says "Perubahan saat akhir ini merupakan satu cabaran tetapi kami dapat mengatasinya. Dengan pengalaman kami, kami dapat menyesuaikan diri dengan keadaan gelanggang yang kurang condusif"

Translation : " This last minute change is a challenge but we were able to overcome it. With our experience, we are able to adapt/adjust to less conducive conditions on court"

What is not being said :' the last minute change and court conditions were shitty and we had to put up with it.' The athlete did not say this so of course I dont translate that, hahaha.

I translate what they say, not the nuances, or body language or facial expression. 

It is for the journalist to ask a follow up question like "What do you think the organisers should improve on?" "Have you/your coaches complained abt these issues to the organisers"

And yes, I do know a few people who are professionally trained translators, who graduated with degrees in translation. 

As far as I know &seen, the standard SOP is what the current translators are doing.

Under spoiler cz this is getting OT

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Purple said:

I mean the original speaker is supposed explain what he meant after that one sentence. We are not supposed to guess & explain the meaning ourselves cos the original speaker's meaning could be totally different.

English to Indonesian and vice versa is not that hard. I occasionally translate sports article from malay to english(so now you know which country I'm from).

Lets say the athlete says "Perubahan saat akhir ini merupakan satu cabaran tetapi kami dapat mengatasinya. Dengan pengalaman kami, kami dapat menyesuaikan diri dengan keadaan gelanggang yang kurang condusif"

Translation : " This last minute change is a challenge but we were able to overcome it. With our experience, we are able to adapt/adjust to less conducive conditions on court"

What is not being said :' the last minute change and court conditions were shitty and we had to put up with it.' The athlete did not say this so of course I dont translate that, hahaha.

I translate what they say, not the nuances, or body language or facial expression. 

It is for the journalist to ask a follow up question like "What do you think the organisers should improve on?" "Have you/your coaches complained abt these issues to the organisers"

And yes, I do know a few people who are professionally trained translators, who graduated with degrees in translation. 

As far as I know &seen, the standard SOP is what the current translators are doing.

You are missing the entirety of my point. And what Yuzu said in Japanese is clearly enough for Japanese people/speaker to understand. What happen is some translations, mostly translated by amateur translator, often missed his entire point, due to losing nuances in the the Japanese - English translation. Hence, some Japanese speaking people jump in to clarify context, subtext, etc., so that people do not misconstrue what Yuzu said based on the missing-the-nuance translation. That is what @Umebachi did, which you originally commented on. In this instance people misconstrue what Yuzu said about his potential desire to participate in the Olympics due to this type of translations, hence the need to clarify. Yuzu does not need to clarify sh*t anything. He said what he said, Japanese people/speaker understood. Umebachi also doesn't technically need to clarify, but did it anyway, so we don't get false hope/false despair because we don't understand Japanese and only have 'incomplete' translation at our disposal.

As for translation SOP as you said, this is precisely the difference between translating Malay/Indonesian to English vs. translating Japanese/Mandarin/Korean to English. The latter is waaaay more nuanced grammatically, structurally, contextually than the former, even without putting into account non-verbal cues. It's the language itself. Heck, even the writing system is different. So, no I am not talking about non-verbal cues. Neither did Umebachi. It's the linguistic nuances. 

I am putting this issue to rest.

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This is exactly what I feel about Yuzu every time he skates in every program he does. Other skaters perform their programs. Yuzu goes out on the ice and simply is, with his skating becoming an expression of his existence. There's no barrier between Yuzu, the person, and Yuzu, the skater, if that makes sense. For other athletes, skating is an overlay on top of their real selves. IMO for Yuzu, skating is his real self.

I think two factors concur here.

The first one, is the artistic vision and talent. But other skaters had artistic talent, and/or performing abilities, sometimes great, though not to this extent I think.

The second one is, that he managed to overcome the inherent handicaps of figure skating : having boots with blades on the feet, and slippy ice under, and sound reverberation, to allow his vision of a new form of dance to emerge. And this required both his physical abilities, his focus and dedication, and his cleverness and understanding of technical matters; plus great coaching and family backing, of course.

I don't know for you, but I woke up this morning, and none of the two last days' magical Christmas presents had disappeared : his two new programs, wonderfully skated in spite of his organisational limitations and their being at their first airing. And his smiles! :626gdau:And you know what? I am happy! (More so than Droopy! :wiggle: )

@axelwithwings team always does an excellent job of translating.  Finally we have the actual transcript of the Sponichi interview, not snippets in the twitter, from which they offer a full translation.   

In the original Japanese, Yuzu literally uses the English term "shut down" when referring to his aspirations about the Olympics.  In another interview he said he wanted to put a "delimiter" - i.e. putting a restraint on himself - when thinking about the Olympics.  His words resonate in Japan right now because the government had been pushing to open the economy and very slow in taking action to slow the spread of infection.  People are feeling extremely anxious and angry about this and a recent poll also indicated that majority of Japanese don't want the Olympics to be held in Tokyo this summer.  It is in this context that the frequent interview questions about his plans to go to the Olympics really irks him, as the media seems to be glossing over the pandemic to pry some titillating responses from him about his Olympics aspirations.  We all know how important the Olympics is for Yuzu, and for him to push back so forcefully is sending shock waves  across the Japanese media.  If I were to write a headline it would read something lie:  "Hanyu 'shuts down' own Olympic aspirations, implores leaders to think first about people". 

'

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
5 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

@axelwithwings team always does an excellent job of translating.  Finally we have the actual transcript of the Sponichi interview, not snippets in the twitter, from which they offer a full translation.   

In the original Japanese, Yuzu literally uses the English term "shut down" when referring to his aspirations about the Olympics.  In another interview he said he wanted to put a "delimiter" - i.e. putting a restraint on himself - when thinking about the Olympics.  His words resonate in Japan right now because the government had been pushing to open the economy and very slow in taking action to slow the spread of infection.  People are feeling extremely anxious and angry about this and a recent poll also indicated that majority of Japanese don't want the Olympics to be held in Tokyo this summer.  It is in this context that the frequent interview questions about his plans to go to the Olympics really irks him, as the media seems to be glossing over the pandemic to pry some titillating responses from him about his Olympics aspirations.  We all know how important the Olympics is for Yuzu, and for him to push back so forcefully is sending shock waves  across the Japanese media.  If I were to write a headline it would read something lie:  "Hanyu 'shuts down' own Olympic aspirations, implores leaders to think first about people". 

'

Thank you so much for the much needed context; it gives his comments added significance. He is clearly aware of his own role and influence and how he wants to channel it for the greater good. What a wonderful person. His parents must be so proud

7 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

'

But honestly, can the leaders of the world have just an ounce of this legend's compassion and consideration?