General Yuzuru Chat

34 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Exactly! My friend told me she doesnt feel the music with H&E (as in both he sorta skated through it and that the music is boring). I think this music is such a difficult piece to skate to because it isnt as notey as seimei or melodic as HL. It is rather blend as a piece eventho I do appreciate the complexity in the composition, it will be difficult to translate into skating and project with the audience for Yuzu. It also lacks the climatic moment esp around the choreo seq. To me, for now the program is at 80%. I think Yuzu has always been the type of skater who develops through each competition. I would like to see some changes to the music at the end as well as more highlighted movements in the step sequence and choreo sequence. Right now, the program is a bit less epic and memorable as it has potential to be. 

Hmmm I can see why people would say something like this about H&L (tho I personally wouldn’t agree) but H&E has plenty of movement to me which makes it a great piece to skate to. The play between orchestral and more Japanese parts makes it a quite dynamic piece- tho ofc also complex but not difficult to understand? The piece has moments of quiet but also builds up in places which I love. eg. I love the dramatic pause in the middle of the StSq. I do agree that the Choreo Seq might need some rearrangement since some moves are lost in the music (like the IB) but else I feel like the music during the Choreo Seq is not difficult to translate into skating and provides the climactic moment I personally would look for? And H&E is not as introspective as H&L. I think it has a clear „commercial“ (read: readable by western standards) appeal and has the potential to be well received with western audiences, as well. (I guess that really shouldn’t be the focus but we know judges can be dense.) 

9 minutes ago, robin said:

Hmmm I can see why people would say something like this about H&L (tho I personally wouldn’t agree) but H&E has plenty of movement to me which makes it a great piece to skate to. The play between orchestral and more Japanese parts makes it a quite dynamic piece- tho ofc also complex but not difficult to understand? The piece has moments of quiet but also builds up in places which I love. eg. I love the dramatic pause in the middle of the StSq. I do agree that the Choreo Seq might need some rearrangement since some moves are lost in the music (like the IB) but else I feel like the music during the Choreo Seq is not difficult to translate into skating and like provides the climactic moment I personally would look for? And H&E is not as introspective as H&L. I think it has a clear „commercial“ (read: readable by western standards) appeal and has the potential to be well received with western audiences, as well. (I guess that really shouldn’t be the focus but we know judges can be dense.) 

Yes, there are many parts of the program I really love i.e. the beginning part with his pose he revealed, the pre ss leading to pause holding sword movement, the 30 second jumps, the hydroblade matching the music, the ending pose. But the rest arent as memorable esp the ss and ch ss. Also, i think as fans we are doing much more research and are more emotionally invested in Yuzu to acknowledge the meaning and complexity of this program. But I think judges and most nonfans will superficially see this as a seimei 2.0.  I think they will understand this as a cultural piece but not much the story behind it. I think a lot of people mistook Seimei as being about a samurai. Thats why I think it is important to finetune it and make it a bit more obviously different from his past pieces to the wider audience esp if this is going to be presented as an olympic program. As much as I love this program, it feels like it is missing the epic moment that Seimei gave during the choreographic seq. But then it could be the lack of scream at japanese nationals this year that partially contributed to this.

5 hours ago, monchan said:

NO. He means the opposite 

This post has been tagged by robin as [NEWS].

No to the no, I think.  He does want to go to the Olympics - he's just not making that the goal right now, because, he is, like the rest of us, living in a uncertain world where (especially in the states) people are dying by the thousands, daily (1 in every 1000 Americans has died from Covid).  Until we are out of this darkness, it makes no sense to wish for something that depends on so much out of our control. I am pretty sure that Yuzu is working forward to get better and move on to the next competition, whatever it is.

2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Exactly! My friend told me she doesnt feel the music with H&E (as in both he sorta skated through it and that the music is boring). I think this music is such a difficult piece to skate to because it isnt as notey as seimei or melodic as HL. It is rather blend as a piece eventho I do appreciate the complexity in the composition, it will be difficult to translate into skating and project with the audience for Yuzu. It also lacks the climatic moment esp around the choreo seq. To me, for now the program is at 80%. I think Yuzu has always been the type of skater who develops through each competition. I would like to see some changes to the music at the end as well as more highlighted movements in the step sequence and choreo sequence. Right now, the program is a bit less epic and memorable as it has potential to be. 

I actually think that H&L is harder to skate to since it represents more of an idea and a feeling rather than a character, which is easier to portray. Both Seimei and H&E have historical figures to draw from, and as robin said above, H&L is more introspective. I don't really know how to express this, but to me, Seimei projects "outward" and H&L projects "inward," while H&E does both (though it leans toward "outward"). I do agree that this program can keep improving (especially LMEY, which was a bit empty in the beginning for Yuzu standards), but as you've said, it will develop along with Yuzu, so I'm hopeful.

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

But I think judges and most nonfans will superficially see this as a seimei 2.0.  I think they will understand this as a cultural piece but not much the story behind it. I think a lot of people mistook Seimei as being about a samurai. Thats why I think it is important to finetune it and make it a bit more obviously different from his past pieces to the wider audience esp if this is going to be presented as an olympic program. As much as I love this program, it feels like it is missing the epic moment that Seimei gave during the choreographic seq. But then it could be the lack of scream at japanese nationals this year that partially contributed to this.

The unfortunate reality is that you're right and there will be some people (especially Western media) who will see it as another Seimei :emoticonaci2019_2:

2 hours ago, Umebachi said:

PS  My apologies if I sound like I am lecturing - that is not my intent!    It's just that some of the quick translations on social media makes him sound like an odd person with quirky expressions, because a direct translation from Japanese to English is so geeky, like Yoda-talk on Star Wars.   I am not a professional translator but I want to convey a bit of the sophisticated and complex thought process that seems to lie behind his statements - which means I have to write a whole paragraph for his one short sentence....  

Oh do please lecture us every time the opportunity arises! :agree2: 

I was able to understand Yuzu's short responses, but for his longer ones I definitely need some help. From what I have seen so far, as the thoughtful person that he is Yuzu is definitely the type that pushes the language he speaks in to its utmost potential...(as in, using big words where appropriate etc.) so it definitely helps to have someone to unfold the meaning of his longer responses as much as possible.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:07 AM, Henni147 said:

For me, yes. It's a funny story:

Helsinki 2017: I was extremely nervous, especially after Yuzu's fifth place in the short. It was the first time that mom has watched him live, too. She confidently said that Yuzu would still win the whole thing. It was hard for me to believe her, but well... she was right, so I started to take her predictions more seriously from now on.

PyeongChang 2018: Mom said that Nathan will mess up and Yuzu will win, so I was relatively chilled from the beginning.

She didn't watch Saitama and Torino live. Maybe she should have... but taking care of my grandparents had top priority at that time. I can't blame her for that.

JNats 2020: She said that Yuzu will be great, so I'm chilled again.

Lmaooo u should book your mom's time slot in advance of important competitions from now on :embSwan:

I often dont believe in supernatural force or so but after following Yuzu quite a while I feel his existence has smt to do it. I wont say he got 'superpower', or 'hes not humannnn', but it's smt like 'fate', and how the universe works in a way to put him in the right place.

Coming to this comp, he's 26, picking order 26, introducing himself in 26s, and ending the comp on 26th. God alr signals this won't be a 'normal' win, but a historical one that will make a statement. 

The same 'coincidence' happened at PC, where he got 2nd OGM, and 4CC where he got Super Slam.

Lol I sound like a eccentric conspiracist but I feel like the stronger the 'coincidence', the greater result he achieves.

7 hours ago, Umebachi said:

YH is not just performing but ‘being’.

This is exactly what I feel about Yuzu every time he skates in every program he does. Other skaters perform their programs. Yuzu goes out on the ice and simply is, with his skating becoming an expression of his existence. There's no barrier between Yuzu, the person, and Yuzu, the skater, if that makes sense. For other athletes, skating is an overlay on top of their real selves. IMO for Yuzu, skating is his real self.

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This is exactly what I feel about Yuzu every time he skates in every program he does. Other skaters perform their programs. Yuzu goes out on the ice and simply is, with his skating becoming an expression of his existence. There's no barrier between Yuzu, the person, and Yuzu, the skater, if that makes sense. For other athletes, skating is an overlay on top of their real selves. IMO for Yuzu, skating is his real self.

The difference between Yuzuru Hanyu and other top skaters is that other skaters love to skate, but Yuzuru Hanyu lives to skate.

8 hours ago, Umebachi said:

PS  My apologies if I sound like I am lecturing - that is not my intent!    It's just that some of the quick translations on social media makes him sound like an odd person with quirky expressions, because a direct translation from Japanese to English is so geeky, like Yoda-talk on Star Wars.   I am not a professional translator but I want to convey a bit of the sophisticated and complex thought process that seems to lie behind his statements - which means I have to write a whole paragraph for his one short sentence....  

It is because in actual translations we are not supposed to explain the meaning behind the words.

If the original speaker says "A, B,C and D", it's supposed to be translated as such. It is up to the audience/reader to interpret the meaning behind those words.

Some paraphrasing may be used but translations is that : translate the words from language A to B. Explanations is supposed to be done by the original speaker to convey his meaning.

12 minutes ago, Purple said:

It is because in actual translations we are not supposed to explain the meaning behind the words.

If the original speaker says "A, B,C and D", it's supposed to be translated as such. It is up to the audience/reader to interpret the meaning behind those words.

Some paraphrasing may be used but translations is that : translate the words from language A to B. Explanations is supposed to be done by the original speaker to convey his meaning.

That philosophy only works for translations between two languages that are both definitive in grammatical structure and word meaning. But not every language is designed to be that way. Japanese is one of those ones known for not necessarily lending itself to word-by-word translation.

But even in translations between two languages that allow word-for-word translation, you can get funny results. For example

French: La plume de ma tante est fini.

English: 1. My aunt's pen is done.  2. The pen of my aunt is finished. 3. My aunt's feather is done. 4. The feather from my aunt is finished. 5. The pen from my older female family friend is broken

and so on, depending on the intent and slang of the speaker.

The translator should never twist the words they're translating. But they should definitely consider all possible meanings and try to give the best sense possible of what the speaker wants to convey