General Yuzuru Chat

7 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

If Yuzu competes in the Nationals, he will be doing so without Brian, Ghislain or Tracy.

Wouldn’t it be nostalgic and bring more than a few tears if we were able to see him being sent off on his programs with a handshake from Nanami Abe and to see them sitting together again in the Kiss and Cry?

I had just the same thought!!

I hope somebody takes on that role... GPF still fresh in the memory.

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

He doesn't have the best BV nor is the most consistent

Well, in Torino the base value of Yuzu's planned freeskate content has been the highest since the introduction of the +/-5 system. So it's not like Yuzu trails other skaters in that department either.

On the contrary, he was surprisingly close to succeed at first attempt with that hell of a layout. He landed all 5 quads he planned including two backloaded quad combos. He just ran out of energy at the end and popped the 3A+3A sequence, which is not exactly the easiest jumping pass to close with :10640793:

Yuzu may not have the highest BV in his SP, but he's criminally consistent with that layout considering that he's scored 104.21 points in AVERAGE the last two seasons. That is massive.

The only problem was that the few mistakes happened in Nathan's presence. That was not ideal.

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Well, in Torino the base value of Yuzu's planned freeskate content has been the highest since the introduction of the +/-5 system. So it's not like Yuzu trails other skaters in that department either.

On the contrary, he was surprisingly close to succeed at first attempt with that hell of a layout. He landed all 5 quads he planned including two backloaded quad combos. He just ran out of energy at the end and popped the 3A+3A sequence, which is not exactly the easiest jumping pass to close with :10640793:

Yuzu may not have the highest BV in his SP, but he's criminally consistent with that layout considering that he's scored 104.21 points in AVERAGE the last two seasons. That is massive.

The only problem was that the few mistakes happened in Nathan's presence. That was not ideal.

There is the elements base value, but there is also what is done.

He failed to finish with the 3A+3A sequence, but his program was so wild with "stamina demand" and indeed he delivered. Much more so than Nathan Chen, who, I tend to think, would not be able to skate even an approximation (with less skating skills and extensions/turnouts, and without any interpretation) of Yuzuru Hanyu's program with triples instead of quads, because all what Yuzuru Hanyu does in the whole program is so demanding, and Nathan Chen is lacking very much stamina compared with Yuzuru Hanyu — this is why he is not able to skate his programs, even short programs, as choreographed, yet they seem to be so much "easier" than Yuzuru Hanyu's. And not only would he not be able to finish the program : he would fall repeatedly on spins, on step sequence and (in FS) on choreo sequence, because Yuzuru Hanyu keeps "endangering" his balance in his "simpler" moves while Nathan Chen struggles to keep his balance and has to go with movements maintaining most his stability. He was made to grow into jumps and jumps only, and "naked" jumps with neither entry nor transition, instead of becoming a complete skater, in spite of real talent. While several other skaters would be able to skate Yuzuru Hanyu's programs (without his extensions and turnout, with maybe a little simplification, and with some interpretation) with triples instead of quads : Jason Brown I'm sure, Roman Sadovsky maybe, Jun Hwan Cha? Mikhail Kolyada? And maybe others. They would not reach his level but they would skate the (simplified) program.

I am more and more convinced that the very weakness in Nathan Chen's skating (long prepared jumps, stiff landings, general impression of exertion) is what give some people the opinion that he's a better jumper than Yuzuru Hanyu (while it is the opposite, as Yuzuru Hanyu would be pretty consistent in any of Nathan Chen's programs, quads and all, and would still do it much better because he hits more bullets in his jumps, not only on entries), because Nathan Chen looks like he's doing something so very difficult (and he is indeed, but much less so than Yuzuru Hanyu) while Yuzuru Hanyu makes his programs look easy (but, oh, that epic GPF'19 version of Origin! What a power display and how can people not perceive it? There is NO impression of power in Nathan Chen's skating, just of exertion).

To learn to watch figure skating I find it very useful to watch Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu side by side, because in the first one can see all what a skater should avoid on a finished program (except that his elements are correct by themselves), and a skeleton of a high-level program; and in the second, what any skater may aim to, and a full-fleshed dream of a program (and to think Yuzuru Hanyu aims at skating even better! How could it be possible? Only he knows.)

Maybe one should coin a notion of "extended base value", including the bullets reached in elements, and the most technical, objective parts of components. Because when I watch the best juniors, I find them rather better than Nathan Chen, yet their scores are so far from his. Why denying that a senior skater may have components of a junior, and score him accordingly? (I wouldn't say a novice, because only Yuzuru Hanyu was better as a novice, isn't it? Except in performance where Nathan Chen is sooo low. And if he still had novice artistic score, he was underscored there, and on another system, and I wouldn't want Nathan Chen to be underscored.)

2 minutes ago, Toni said:

I'm confused. It says the next even is Dec 19th???

Sorry, I competely forgot to add an event for this weekend in Planet Hanyu! I've just added it now, but admins have to confirm it. But yes, there's another event next weekend too, on Dec19, which will be the last until we restart in January!

12 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

Sorry, I competely forgot to add an event for this weekend in Planet Hanyu! I've just added it now, but admins have to confirm it. But yes, there's another event next weekend too, on Dec19, which will be the last until we restart in January!

I can't figure out how to see today's stream.

22 часа назад, Henni147 сказал:

After a long time I finally had the guts to read discussions on other platforms again and stumbled across one recurring comment:

"Yuzu may not be technically the best, but he's an incredible artist."

Best technicality can be quite subjective, like for different people it will mean different things.

If you ask my mom, she will say Nate is technically best right now, he has a lot of quads and is remarkably consistent with it, at the same time she will say Yuzu's skating is artistically best and he should win with clean skating. I will say that for me Nate's jumps are not exciting enough in terms of height/distance/flow, Yuzu's jumps have great height/distance and look so easy, when successful.

So I can understand those who say they see Yuzu as an artist in the first place, I became his fan for his beautiful skating in the first place too. But even Yuzu's artistry will not look so amazing without his great technical execution and flow.

22 часа назад, Henni147 сказал:

Also, I think that skating clean or making mistakes is not that much about technical prowess, but more about stamina and mental strength/ psychology. I'm sure, if Yuzu had the opportunity to record his performances at home, he would be unbeatable by a mile. It's just that the complexity of his programs makes it extremely hard to skate clean all the time. I think, the longing for perfection is an even bigger challenge for him than the pressure on his shoulders.

Yes, Yuzu has a lot of challengers: complex programs, a lot of pressure on himself, being quite particular about jumping timing and one with the music. But he is who he is and that makes our journey exciting :)

Yuzuru is the most well rounded male singles skater of all time!!

i am afraid for him if he decides to attend Japan Nationals, because I truly believe JSF not only does not 'support' him but would be happy to sabotage him behind the scenes.(including ventilate the arena just before his skate).

All to push their policy of 'we can produce champions off the press' and also because Yuzu is successful without hiring an agency.  The ones who profit most do not want other skaters going the same route.  Follow the $$$$.  I am sure there are a lot of jealous people too, who feel Yuzu does not have the 'right' skating pedigree

4 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Yuzuru is the most well rounded male singles skater of all time!!

i am afraid for him if he decides to attend Japan Nationals, because I truly believe JSF not only does not 'support' him but would be happy to sabotage him behind the scenes.(including ventilate the arena just before his skate).

All to push their policy of 'we can produce champions off the press' and also because Yuzu is successful without hiring an agency.  The ones who profit most do not want other skaters going the same route.  Follow the $$$$.  I am sure there are a lot of jealous people too, who feel Yuzu does not have the 'right' skating pedigree

While I agree that JSF certainly doesn't have the kind of respect for Yuzu that he merits (and think of all the skaters inspired by him -that's who are in the pipeline for Japan's skating future), I really don't think that they would do something so nefarious regarding the safety of the atmosphere inside the rink.  And he wouldn't be the only one impacted, either.  I do hope he skates and takes back his title with a performance that will blow our collective socks off (and be so great that even the JSF can't take #1 from him).

On 12/11/2020 at 2:23 PM, Henni147 said:

"Yuzu may not be technically the best, but he's an incredible artist."

To me, this sounds like a reputational assessment, not based on reality. As was seen at SCI'19, when Yuzu has judges who are prepared to actually LOOK at what he's doing on the ice, instead of ASSUME THEY KNOW what he's doing on the ice, he gets scored correctly with high technical score.

I personally think the overarching issue in figure skating judging is that a skater's early reputation follows them around and leads to judges making up their minds what score they're going to give, long before they ever see the performance.