General Yuzuru Chat

Using google translate, it looks like these could be ordered from the waseda university online shop but the time window has now closed ..... we didnt know !!

CONGRATULATIONS YUZURU!!

admin edit: [NEWS]

2 hours ago, yuzuru_hanyu_is_an_angel said:

CONGRATS YUZU!!! :clapping-smiley: Schrodinger's graduation is no more 😌

He's so nerdy and extra and I LOVE.

Can we not do it? As a Theoretical and Computational Chemist, who basically lives in the quantum mechanics world, I just get so offended every time that you call Yuzuru Schrodinger. Schrodinger is not just a name or symbol. The birth of quantum mechanics in the hands of Planck, Schrodinger, Bohr, Heisenberg, Liouville, Bohm, Feynman... is a miracle that can't be explained just based on intelligence. The level of wisdom that was poured into this jaw-dropping science can not be explained by words. As much as I love Yuzuru, his accomplishments can be compared to his own peers not to these giants. 

I have written this post so many times before then deleted it because I don't want to hurt anyone. I hope this doesn't hurt you, I just ask you if we can keep our admiration to the level that it actually is. 

Congratulations Yuzuru on your graduation!! :loveshower:

Congratulations Waseda on being so confusing about whether he had graduated or not that we weren't sure and therefore missed it at the time.

@snowy Physicist here and while I respect that you feel this way, I disagree with you that those scientists  deserve to be put on such a high pedestal. Feynman in particular would have laughed at the idea of his work being 'miraculous'. He would have told you that he was just a curious guy who loved figuring things out. Yuzuru is also just a curious guy who loves figuring things out. The fact that his achievements are in the world of sport doesn't make them any less seminal than similar work in other fields. 

It's great to admire the giants in any field and be inspired by their work. But it should never go beyond admiration. Quantum theory is the work of human hands just like any other work, and as every single one of those scientists you mentioned would have pointed out, could be very fallible. Reverence isn't called for. 

2 minutes ago, snowy said:

Can we not do it? As a Theoretical and Computational Chemist, who basically lives in the quantum mechanics world, I just get so offended every time that you call Yuzuru Schrodinger. Schrodinger is not just a name or symbol. The birth of quantum mechanics in the hands of Planck, Schrodinger, Bohr, Heisenberg, Liouville, Bohm, Feynman... is a miracle that can't be explained just based on intelligence. The level of wisdom that was poured into this jaw-dropping science can not be explained by words. As much as I love Yuzuru, his accomplishments can be compared to his own peers not to these giants. 

I have written this post so many times before then deleted it because I don't want to hurt anyone. I hope this doesn't hurt you, I just ask you if we can keep our admiration to the level that it actually is. 

I was referring to Schrodinger's Cat- Yuzuru's graduation was rather unclear before, like the cat's state of life or death. I respect Schrodinger, of course, but I wasn't comparing Yuzuru to him; you're right, they can only be compared to people in their own field. There might have been a misunderstanding. I'm sorry if I offended you.

14 minutes ago, snowy said:

Nobody has ever compared Yuzu to Schrodinger the scientist. It's always been a joke about Schrodinger's Cat.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@snowy Physicist here and while I respect that you feel this way, I disagree with you that those scientists  deserve to be put on such a high pedestal. Feynman in particular would have laughed at the idea of his work being 'miraculous'. He would have told you that he was just a curious guy who loved figuring things out. Yuzuru is also just a curious guy who loves figuring things out. The fact that his achievements are in the world of sport doesn't make them any less seminal than similar work in other fields. 

It's great to admire the giants in any field and be inspired by their work. But it should never go beyond admiration. Quantum theory is the work of human hands just like any other work, and as every single one of those scientists you mentioned would have pointed out, could be very fallible. Reverence isn't called for. 

"Reverence isn't called for" is actually what I was trying to convey when some fans hold Yuzuru to extra high standards. 

Anyways, I noticed that I missed the point that fans here had a joke about "Schrodinger cat" for a long time. Guess I missed it because I joined this forum recently and not checking it frequently.

My apologies for jumping to conclusions! 

On 11/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, snowy said:

On 11/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

Congratulations Yuzuru on your graduation!! :loveshower:

Congratulations Waseda on being so confusing about whether he had graduated or not that we weren't sure and therefore missed it at the time.

On 11/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, yuzuru_hanyu_is_an_angel said:

I was referring to Schrodinger's Cat- Yuzuru's graduation was rather unclear before, like the cat's state of life or death. I respect Schrodinger, of course, but I wasn't comparing Yuzuru to him; you're right, they can only be compared to people in their own field. There might have been a misunderstanding. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I think I should stay apart a little more but maybe I can add there's an earlier occurrence of a physicist's animal example getting "its own life". Jean Buridan, mainly a XIVth Century logician but also physicist, invented and calculated what is today called momentum and had an early idea of Newton's Third Law relating to gravity; he illustrated it with a dog, which became a donkey in a "paradox of Buridan's a..", still known nowadays but with a completely different meaning (that of human freedom in Philosophy).

It goes the same way with Schrödinger's cat. It is now a myth in common mindset, getting rather far from the original comparison — not easily accessible anyway. Yuzuru Hanyu has "Schrödinger programs", had "Schrödinger graduation", and "Schrödinger appearances" in the present state of the myth, of course not in any Physics reality, and this myth may go further in the next centuries, just like Buridan's dog/a...

2 hours ago, snowy said:

"Reverence isn't called for" is actually what I was trying to convey when some fans hold Yuzuru to extra high standards. 

Anyways, I noticed that I missed the point that fans here had a joke about "Schrodinger cat" for a long time. Guess I missed it because I joined this forum recently and not checking it frequently.

My apologies for jumping to conclusions! 

The Schrodinger's Cat jokes is rather universal, tho - not only this fandom uses it. Every time anything could be either yes or no and there's no way to know either way, people call it Schrodinger's -something- with reference to Schrodinger's Cat. I am surprised you missed that point. But, well, I hope now you know, so that you do not get offended so easily when people reference this here or somewhere else again.

____

Now that I can finally focus on something other than that thing, Zuzu, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer: For real this time!!:2thumbsup:

By the way, I'd like to point out that Yuzu has done it again - ninja'd his graduation past all the fans and media safe and sound. He really has some awesome abilities, outside of skating. I'm sure there's a celebrity or two that'd love to learn his secret ninja skills.