General Yuzuru Chat

Some comments are far better:

Chen is a brilliant technician. Hanyu is a poet on ice.

And this one is very long and well written:

I think that Nathan is more of what I personally call a base-value jumper. That's saying he actually does all the jumps properly, with no cheats. Executed, but still some ways to boost GOE. I think being able to do all the quads properly (with the exception of the axel) is already a huge advantage, whether or not they deserve positive GOEs. Just the base value alone and PCS to support them puts him in contention for gold every single time. The GOEs can be somewhat inflated imo, which is a little upsetting. What's even more upsetting is how the ISU rewards so many skaters nowadays with ratified quads AND positive GOEs, when they aren't honestly deserving of the base values in the first place. Off the top of my head, the only big quad jumpers who deserve their entire quad repertoire ratified are Yuzuru, Nathan and Jin Boyang. It's a very interesting battle between them jump wise; for Yuzuru his quality is unmatched, but he's trying to up his jump quantity. Chen's jump quantity is unmatched, but he's trying to up his quality. They're both in very good spots in the Quality VS Quantity spectrum because they've got both in varying degrees. Yuzuru's repertoire is not as impressive as Chen, but Yuzu's greatest strength is his balance of difficult jumps and quality. He doesn't necessarily weild the 4Lz like Chen or Boyang does, where Chen is almost guaranteed to land his 4Lz or 4F when planned. (The only skaters to really benefit from the 4Lz is really only Jin and Nathan at this point.) Chen definitely wins quantity wise, but for quality: Yuzuru's best 4T and 4S however will top Nathan's best 4T and 4S. It's all so exciting and nerve racking because the way they'd win gold is slightly different yet evenly matched. They're both brilliant in their unique ways.

15 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Cut for a possibly unpleasant ramble about strategy.

Hide contents

Nathan may not attempt a 4A in competition (it's not that simple) but what this tells me is that he and his team are prepared to set up any number of narratives to help keep him ahead of the game. Artistry narrative is in play from new programs, and now (deployed after a FS with more mistakes than anticipated) technical dominance narrative is at the forefront again.

I know Yuzu doesn't like to play these games but he's going to have to give the FS world something to remind everyone that he is still in this. Staying silent and holed away in Sendai may help him focus but will not help his status or his scores, especially when he'll already re-enter the season (provided he ever has the chance to) at a disadvantage from missing the whole first half of it. (Not that others aren't also at a disadvantage, and not that there's as much of a season to miss, but many top men have at least had the chance to compete and show their stuff.)

As far as anyone knows right now, Nathan is out-teching him, Misha and Jason have the programs of the year, Shoma's skating has never looked more beautiful, they all have a refreshed outlook of some sort and are trying to reinvent themselves in various ways. The only one without a real progress narrative, apart from one comment by his choreographer, is Yuzu. He isn't defending himself or letting anyone else defend him, and he shouldn't have to, but I think he needs to. :/

hmmm....that's interesting. Although I would not agree that skaters using the extra time due to Covid19 for improvement = pushing a narrative. As for Yuzu, he just does not speak out until he's ready to blow everyone's mind. It's his choice not to talk and that's not about narratives.

14 hours ago, Paskud said:

A bit random thought, but one of the things that make me sad about Zuzuru WDing from GP (and GPF being postponed/cancelled) is that if we would have yet another scoring shenanigans, then our lovely chinese fanyus, out of all people, wouldn't be scared to go and burn ISU with torches and forks and I kinda wanted to see it.😥

I suppose you don't actually mean it?

50 minutes ago, Katt said:

Its better to delete it competely in all posts ( is it possible ?) since people cite the source as PH everywhere. 

/will edit this post later/

I think we should delete the post.  The admin has been diligent in keeping our Forum respectful of other skaters and I hope you will continue to do so.  The post has invited unwelcome attention to PH that plays into the anti-fanyu narrative.  

1 hour ago, Katt said:

Its better to delete it competely in all posts ( is it possible ?) since people cite the source as PH everywhere. 

/will edit this post later/

13 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

I think we should delete the post.  The admin has been diligent in keeping our Forum respectful of other skaters and I hope you will continue to do so.  The post has invited unwelcome attention to PH that plays into the anti-fanyu narrative.  

I've removed it. I didn't know (when I first posted it) that it was a private training video. For some reason, I thought it was Skate America practice.

I'm sorry for posting it. If anyone has any questions, please DM me :)

15 hours ago, QuadOllie said:

lol I just saw it and he literally landed backwards and prerotated almost a full half :rofl2:If he wants to train it, go ahead. But he definitely hasn't yet. 

Agree. We also have Dima I think, the one with a harness one year ago, Keegan attempt. So with or without Nathan, there're still skaters trying it, and why not. Yuzu prefers competition so that will boost him.

58 minutes ago, Kadova said:

Agree. We also have Dima I think, the one with a harness one year ago, Keegan attempt. So with or without Nathan, there're still skaters trying it, and why not. Yuzu prefers competition so that will boost him.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Camden tried it as well. 

1 hour ago, Yuzu_legend said:

:laughing: Why am I seeing this for the first time?!! It’s so cool!! 

“Gaze at the red dots without blinking for about 30 seconds. Then look at a plain wall!” IT WORKS!!!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

I don't know too much about the physiological processes behind this, but I believe it has something to do with the after image effect... on a brief search, it seems like this goes into some of the mechanisms behind it pretty well-- for any of you interested. c: 

Science really is wonderful, giving us another method through which to see Yuzu during droughts. :devilYuzu:

Apologies, I knew we have moved away from *that* topic but...

Spoiler

I'll be that petty b€#*! and say this: NC is not even a superb jump technician, and those who said so put the cart before the horse (as in, seeing the inflated GOEs that he always got and then assuming (wrongly) that since his GOEs are so big, his jumps must be technically sound). If you want to see exceptional 4Lz, go see Boyang Jin/Mikhail Kolyada. Wanna see superb 4S/4Lo? Heck, go see Yuzu. I'd give it to him for 4F, sure, but him landing his jumps consistently ≠ being a superb technician (surprise surprise!), and those people don't realize that landing the jump consistently is only one (dare I say small?) part of technical expertise.

PS: I try my hardest not to say this but this particular behavior of ride-or-die NC fans is too reminiscent of a certain US demographic I'd rather not think of, especially around this time. Granted that they (unfortunately) transcend borders, but still, it's just too infuriating to see that behavior pattern unfolds in people...

...anyway that's all I'm gonna say on that 😛.

As for Yuzu's PR strategy, I don't think I'd worry too much on that — he might end up doing something analogous to what happened in Pyeongchang (ie. simply shock the world with his latest performance), albeit on a smaller scale of prestige.

Anyhow, let's just amuse ourselves until the giant loaf that is his FS performance drops (eg. staring at that Yuzu afterimage edit 😅😂), we can do this~~~

1 hour ago, Yuzu_legend said:

“Gaze at the red dots without blinking for about 30 seconds. Then look at a plain wall!” IT WORKS!!!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

Anyway if any of you are worried about not being able to stare down into something without blinking, I tell you this — it still works even when you blink when you do the long stare — it's the staring duration that counts :xD::LOL:

(...yeah this is a trivial comment, just saying! 😂😅😂)

Hace 1 hora, snowy said:

Man, this is creepy awesome 😁

Ikr?!! I tried all of them! 😂

hace 57 minutos , yuzublaze said:

I don't know too much about the physiological processes behind this, but I believe it has something to do with the after image effect... on a brief search, it seems like this goes into some of the mechanisms behind it pretty well-- for any of you interested. c: 

Science really is wonderful, giving us another method through which to see Yuzu during droughts. :devilYuzu:

So interesting, thanks!!!

Ahhh the drought... look what you get us to do while patiently waiting for you dear Mr. Hanyu! :laughing:

On the topic of jumping technique: Alice's summary of the takeoffs of Toe jumps.

Chen has some good points re his jumping technique - he would not have been as consistent at landing them if his technique was truly atrocious. However, as Alice said while comparing the Flips,

"Nathan doesn’t get very impressive height and distance on his jumps, his average quads are smaller than both Yuzu’s and Boyang’s, but his trade secret is in how quick he rotates: compare, against all the rest, how close he manages to keep his feet together and how fast he crosses his ankles - that is how he is able to execute the highly challenging quad flip."

His choice to rely on going into the rotation as quick as possible (without having to reach the height and distance quads usually require) is, I think, the reason 1) why Axel is a challenging jump for him 2) he can be consistent at landing the quads he does have, but 3) his quads are not as awe-inducing as any of Yuzu's, or Jin's and Kolyada's 4Lz. It works for him, tho. So:shrug:

Bonus, cz I miss Yuzu, Alice, and good Lutzes: On Lutzes - both Men's and Ladies'.