General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, yumeaki said:

Psst, seeing small bits of his choreo, I think the same as you too... :P

Though as a technical coach, I also wonder if he may be too geeky such that his words go over the heads of his students. 

Whatever his decision for his post-competitor career, he better continue to do some ice shows! I still want to see him skate live for a few more years. I'm not greedy. Just make it 10 more years. 

Omg I’ve never seen his choreo before? Does anyone have videos? Who did he choreograph for??

6 hours ago, Fay said:

From the automatic translation of the comments in Japanese on the Twitter post, it seems he didn't go there personally? Or is it the Twitter poster who didn't go in person? (Automatic translations tending to mix I and he.) They can send their products.

Anyway there are direct ferries between Sendai and Tomakomai. And I remember a former coach of Yuzuru Hanyu's is now in Hokkaido, and he's already visited her.

Also, they say this pastry shop made a cake for Brian Orser's birthday during Nationals in Sapporo in 2015?

Anyway he seems to have been a customer since 2012 at least! They must have really yummy pastries and I am so glad Yuzuru Hanyu can enjoy them! :studsmatta:

Edit : I have found the dessert shop. From the town centre, you take the (large) Loop Route (what a nice name!) to the West, after the river you pass the Tomakomaishi Toyokawa Community Centre, and it is not very far after.

Here is their website :

http://www.st-dominique.jp/

Edit 2 : I have a theory on the choice of the name of this pastry.

Of course, the pastry chef may have a Dominican spirituality.

But, there is a rather important Paris street, in a posh neighbourhood, called rue Saint-Dominique, and there are a lot of French pastries there, and even a Japanese pastry. It may be related?

http://www.sadaharuaoki.com/boutique/paris-fr.html

19 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Omg I’ve never seen his choreo before? Does anyone have videos? Who did he choreograph for??

The only bits of choreography he did that I am aware of is when he choreographed a Japanese skaters' group performance for one of the galas. Or perhaps team introduction of (eta) WTT? I can't remember what it was precisely. Yuzu has not choreographed a program for anyone.

4 часа назад, yuzupon сказал:

The only bits of choreography he did that I am aware of is when he choreographed a Japanese skaters' group performance for one of the galas. Or perhaps team introduction of Japan Open? I can't remember what it was precisely. Yuzu has not choreographed a program for anyone.

I think there was a group number during last WTT Gala with scarfs (or I mix things up), also a solo bit during FAOI opening in golden jacket and Eva last year.

14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As for what Yuzu does with his career...I expect him to follow in Shizuka's footsteps and become involved in the JSF executive over time. My gut feeling is that the man is secretly burning to change things from within for the sport in Japan, and you can't do that without being influential in the federation. 

Same thought, but I would go a step further and say that it would not only concern a change to figure skating in Japan, but to the sport itself, worldwide.

Thinking about fair judging, rules etc.

Regardless of what he will do after he retires, we can be relatively sure that it has something to do with figure skating, just a feeling.:wink2:

Also, didn't he once say that he would like to produce his own ice show?

22 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Yuzu comes to and stays in Toronto only long enough to train at the TCC. As far as I know, he hasn’t even been to downtown Toronto. He spends his time either at the TCC or the apartment that he shares with his mother and commuting between the two with occasional outings to buy groceries with his mother. As soon as each competitive season is over, he and his mother go straight back to Sendai. Toronto has never been a home to Yuzu. When he stops competing, he will have no reason to return to Toronto. He will stay in Sendai and continue a career involving skating, probably performing. With his looks, intelligence and charisma, all sorts of opportunities are open to him, but as he has said, “I was born for my skate” (or “I was born to skate.”)

He hasn't even been to Niagara Falls.  Up until this summer, he's always had his studies to go back to, at his apartment.  A studious and private guy, I also think he wouldn't want the commotion that would come with his appearance anywhere that tourists go to.  Considering the amount of global travel he's done, I would guess he's seen less of what the world has to offer (museums, natural wonders, historical locations, etc.) than a casual traveler.  Kind of sad, really.  But I understand his reticence.

29 minutes ago, barbara said:

He hasn't even been to Niagara Falls.  Up until this summer, he's always had his studies to go back to, at his apartment.  A studious and private guy, I also think he wouldn't want the commotion that would come with his appearance anywhere that tourists go to.  Considering the amount of global travel he's done, I would guess he's seen less of what the world has to offer (museums, natural wonders, historical locations, etc.) than a casual traveler.  Kind of sad, really.  But I understand his reticence.

That reticence seems to be a common trait in Japanese people though. And if you think about how many of them have been outside of Japan, you notice it isn't a whole lot. Look at the Overseas Japanese populations in the world for example (Brazil having the most people there). Those numbers don't even come close to 125 million. Cultural retention is not very strong as it doesn't last for more than a few generations without strong cultural influence. Japanese civilians have been more inclined to stay put due to lack of need to immigrate and some look down on those who do. Others who have an open mind to the outside world, like my Japanese uncle for instance, are far less common. BTW, I have been to the Niagara Falls region around 2014, it's a small, predominantly White town with little tourist attractions. (Unlike multicultural Toronto which is only over an hour drive there.)

11 минут назад, Cynthia сказал:

That reticence seems to be a common trait in Japanese people though. And if you think about how many of them have been outside of Japan, you notice it isn't a whole lot.

I think you can say this about a lot of nations. Like a relevantly little percent of Russians was abroad,big part of it is due to money issues or language barrier, but a lot of people are not interested in travelling that much of just do it within the country (was always hard for me to understand this).

And really Japan has so much to offer in internal tourism, so I also may be not interested in travel if I were Japanese)) of course European towns are interesting first few times, but after first interest dies down I prefer nature much more to museums etc.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

Hmm, but him traveling in Canada wouldn’t cause much commotion if he didn’t tell anyone right? Like if he were in Japan or China where he is wildly popular people would recognize him in public, but in North America and Europe I don’t think much of the general public would know him unless they watch figure skating? After all, figure skating is a niche sport and not many people know skaters... 

But I understand why he would not want to travel around even if not for the fear of being recognized, I’m personally not that fond of traveling either. 

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hmm, but him traveling in Canada wouldn’t cause much commotion if he didn’t tell anyone right? Like if he were in Japan or China where he is wildly popular people would recognize him in public, but in North America and Europe I don’t think much of the general public would know him unless they watch figure skating? After all, figure skating is a niche sport and not many people know skaters... 

But I understand why he would not want to travel around even if not for the fear of being recognized, I’m personally not that fond of traveling either. 

It's also not actually that easy to get to Niagara Falls from Toronto unless you drive yourself. Public transit isn't exactly stellar. My uncle did it one year when he visited from Ireland and all he could do afterwards was complain about how uncomfortable it was to ride Greyhound