General Yuzuru Chat

Ok so, while aimlessly scrolling through the obscure side of the Japanese FS community on YT, I accidentally found what seems to be a fortune reading (???) for Yuzuru for the 2020/2021 season.

It seems to be positive and although I don't really believe in fortune telling and stuff, I can't deny that hearing nice things about him and his future always make me a little happier :P So I thought I should share lol.

https://youtu.be/V3SXgYSz0MM

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video...)

1 hour ago, Whoopiewoop said:

pretty good, except for when he butchered the word “plata” which is understandable considering that some of the native Japanese speakers struggle with the “L” 🤣

I wouldn't say butchered, because if nowadays it is always pronounced plata in Spanish, and prata (like he pronounced, with a /r/) only in Portuguese (and probably in Galician), I think in the (remote) past it was an acceptable alternative, although maybe not everywhere? (Because the regional separation between /r/ and /l/ on some words like plata, plaza... occurred rather early). And I may be wrong, but I thought this little mistake meant he had learnt more Spanish than just these few words. Like he's learning Korean with Jun hwan Cha (and, I suppose, Jun hwan Cha is learning Japanese with him.)

A completely different subject, some Sekkisei Miyabi products (and the names are also written in French! :thanks: )

49 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I wouldn't say butchered, because if nowadays it is always pronounced plata in Spanish, and prata (like he pronounced, with a /r/) only in Portuguese (and probably in Galician), I think in the (remote) past it was an acceptable alternative, although maybe not everywhere? (Because the regional separation between /r/ and /l/ on some words like plata, plaza... occurred rather early). And I may be wrong, but I thought this little mistake meant he had learnt more Spanish than just these few words. Like he's learning Korean with Jun hwan Cha (and, I suppose, Jun hwan Cha is learning Japanese with him.)

Spoiler

Not in Spanish. Plata (silver) is rooted from the Latin word “platta” and has always stayed like that. You might argue that it’s also connected to “argento” , and that is what the Portuguese picked up mixing both words together so to speak, creating the variation of “prata”. But Yuzu was speaking Spanish and not Portuguese, therefore for me, as a native Spanish speaker he mispronounced it just like I butcher Japanese when I try to catch the right intonation for “younger brother” :wink2:

*insert image of Yuzu adjusting his glasses here*

43 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:
  Hide contents

Not in Spanish. Plata (silver) is rooted from the Latin word “platta” and has always stayed like that. You might argue that it’s also connected to “argento” , and that is what the Portuguese picked up mixing both words together so to speak, creating the variation of “prata”. But Yuzu was speaking Spanish and not Portuguese, therefore for me, as a native Spanish speaker he mispronounced it just like I butcher Japanese when I try to catch the right intonation for “younger brother” :wink2:

*insert image of Yuzu adjusting his glasses here*

I really don't think the Portuguese for prata comes from argento. It is a common occurrence in Portuguese (and some related dialects) that /l/ is replaced, in its "liquid" uses, by a /r/. Plata → prata, plaza → praça, placer → prazer, blason(French) → brasão, etc. It was just a pronunciation habit, diverging from Latin I agree.

In XVIth and XVIIth Centuries, Spanish language took its "definitive" shape, definitely with /l/ not /r/ when written, but I think the habit of some to pronounce /r/ may have lasted (as it did, replacing completely the /l/, in Portugal and some Spanish regions), just as some pronunciation "aborted shifts" have remained in some French regions or social classes, in French language.

I had to think somehow about it because at a time, I knew an Argentinian gentleman living in Brasil, who spoke a perfect Portuguese with a perfect (rather Argentinian but not "Porteño") Spanish accent, and you can't imagine how it confused me! :176:

Totally different subject, this Twitter account retweeted an answer from Meagan Duhamel, and it seems to relate to Yuzutu Hanyu.

Of course I am not a professional skater, not even a connoisseur.

Yet I think I can say 1) a) Yuzuru Hanyu's transitions are always "to the purpose" and never messy (I would admit for instance, to find messy a program with plenty of kicks where it wouldn't have a special meaning, of course I'm thinking about a recent Russian program, and even there I don't think it would justify a harsh penalty); b) one cannot invent non-existent transitions and award them with more than 9 : if there are none, there are none, and the score must reflect it, this is not subjective and this objectivity is a condition for figure skating to be an Olympic sport;  2) a) one can be more sensitive to a skater's interpretation and less to another's, that's indeed a subjective element, plus not all judges have enough artistic taste to be discerning between skaters above a certain level, but there are objective criteria and this subjective feeling cannot justify more than 1 point difference between judges, plus if a judge has absolutely zero idea about interpretation and is unable to fill the grid properly it has nothing to do on a bench; b) when a program is "executed" (in both meanings of the word) just as a series of exercises without the least bit of interpretation, the score must reflect it; maybe not under 5 if the skater remains on the beat, but certainly not more; this was a case where the score was self-evident yet a certain skater got more than 9).

I got 3 types (out of 4) of clear files at a convenient shop today, but the online shop is offering another set of files including two different types.

I don't need any more gums.  Four bottles of gums (needed to order to get this new set) are too much.  But I want that H&L one :gaah:

OK, maybe Zen time for me :meditationf:  I haven't seen anything enticing. 

Why, Lotte, are you so aggressive in selling gums :facepalm:

https://lotte-shop.jp/shop/e/eLhcf2010/

hanyu2010.jpg

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

Totally different subject, this Twitter account retweeted an answer from Meaghan Duhamel, and it seems to relate to Yuzutu Hanyu.

Of course I am not a professional skater, not even a connoisseur.

Yet I think I can say 1) a) Yuzuru Hanyu's transitions are always "to the purpose" and never messy (I would admit for instance, to find messy a program with plenty of kicks where it wouldn't have a special meaning, of course I'm thinking about a recent Russian program, and even there I don't think it would justify a harsh penalty); b) one cannot invent non-existent transitions and award them with more than 9 : if there are none, there are none, and the score must reflect it, this is not subjective and this objectivity is a condition for figure skating to be an Olympic sport;  2) a) one can be more sensitive to a skater's interpretation and less to another's, that's indeed a subjective element, plus not all judges have enough artistic taste to be discerning between skaters above a certain level, but there are objective criteria and this subjective feeling cannot justify more than 1 point difference between judges, plus if a judge has absolutely zero idea about interpretation and is unable to fill the grid properly it has nothing to do on a bench; b) when a program is "executed" (in both meanings of the word) just as a series of exercises without the least bit of interpretation, the score must reflect it; maybe not under 5 if the skater remains on the beat, but certainly not more; this was a case where the score was self-evident yet a certain skater got more than 9).

I am not a professional skater, but i think everyone who knows about the technique behind the jumps and the other things that compose a program should be able to give a opinion on this statement.

Transitions in figure skating plays an important role in a program, they are the elements responsible to bring an artistic side to balance the more "physical" part such as the jumps, without them the figure skating competitions would be more like jump competitions. I agree that everything in excess is bad so to many transitions can make a program look messy, but also a program with just a few transitions can make us feel like something is missing, balance is always gonna be the key to succeed and good transitions can make a program look so much better. Now about interpretation, this topic is something that the judges are not gonna agree with eachother 100% because ofcourse one judge may feel the program in different levels but if a judge can't feel anything at all from a program then the problem is with him or her not with the skater, you can argument that a judge may feel something and the other judge don't when it comes to a novice or maybe junior level but you can't say that to olympic skaters.

lolol

10 minutes ago, princeyuzu said:

I am not a professional skater, but i think everyone who knows about the technique behind the jumps and the other things that compose a program should be able to give a opinion on this statement.

Transitions in figure skating plays an important role in a program, they are the elements responsible to bring an artistic side to balance the more "physical" part such as the jumps, without them the figure skating competitions would be more like jump competitions. I agree that everything in excess is bad so to many transitions can make a program look messy, but also a program with just a few transitions can make us feel like something is missing, balance is always gonna be the key to succeed and good transitions can make a program look so much better. Now about interpretation, this topic is something that the judges are not gonna agree with eachother 100% because ofcourse one judge may feel the program in different levels but if a judge can't feel anything at all from a program then the problem is with him or her not with the skater, you can argument that a judge may feel something and the other judge don't when it comes to a novice or maybe junior level but you can't say that to olympic skaters.

i can see how transitions could be messy (like some ladies skaters have a LOT of transitions but they look very mechanical, very busy, and doesn't fit the music). IMO judges shouldn't dock them on transitions, but rather composition (choreography) and/or skating skills: most of the time the transitions look messy because of weak edges and poor choreography. But of course, PCS makes no sense and never did. Honestly we should just abolish some of these PCS categories.

I would hope Ms. Duhamel isn't talking about Yuzu there at all :yuzushrug: He's honestly one of the last skaters with "messy" transitions.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

lolol

i can see how transitions could be messy (like some ladies skaters have a LOT of transitions but they look very mechanical, very busy, and doesn't fit the music). IMO judges shouldn't dock them on transitions, but rather composition (choreography) and/or skating skills: most of the time the transitions look messy because of weak edges and poor choreography. But of course, PCS makes no sense and never did. Honestly we should just abolish some of these PCS categories.

I would hope Ms. Duhamel isn't talking about Yuzu there at all :yuzushrug: He's honestly one of the last skaters with "messy" transitions.

I don't think she implied he had messy transitions.
I think, on PCs as well as on GOEs, some elements of the scores can be given by cameras, computer and software. Not only the ice coverage, the speed and accelerations/decelerations, but also edgework, body inclination, arms mobility, etc.