General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, barbara said:

Never.  The last time anyone showed up with a jacket and tie for a date was probably prom.

The sad part to live in Brazil is that we don't even have proms, so the last time anyone showed up with a jacket and tie was probably a wedding or something.

41 minutes ago, barbara said:

Never.  The last time anyone showed up with a jacket and tie for a date was probably prom.

One of my roommates in college was in a sorority, and she used to go on fancy dates like that with the fraternity boys. Don't know if they still do that.

ETA: Also, some fancy restaurants require you to dress up. I think this is also regional, as some locations are more formal than others. 

1 hour ago, IceWings said:

One of my roommates in college was in a sorority, and she used to go on fancy dates like that with the fraternity boys. Don't know if they still do that.

ETA: Also, some fancy restaurants require you to dress up. I think this is also regional, as some locations are more formal than others. 

There are still restaurants (though NOT in Tucson) that require a tie and jacket, but they tend to have loaners for guys who show up without them.  In Tucson, there are places that literally cut your tie off if you show up with one.  Then they hang it from the ceiling. Yuzu goes to many "formal" events and, I think, did get a new suit last year (?) that must have been custom made for him because it fit so nicely.  Skaters legs and glutes do not lend themselves to the usual cut.

3 hours ago, barbara said:

There are still restaurants (though NOT in Tucson) that require a tie and jacket, but they tend to have loaners for guys who show up without them.  In Tucson, there are places that literally cut your tie off if you show up with one.  Then they hang it from the ceiling. Yuzu goes to many "formal" events and, I think, did get a new suit last year (?) that must have been custom made for him because it fit so nicely.  Skaters legs and glutes do not lend themselves to the usual cut.

Plenty of fancy/formal restaurants here, but I don't know anyone who goes to them for dates, unless it's something like a wedding anniversary or an engagement or something. Lots of government wonks using the restaurants for 'working dinners', though. And the men going to those use this dress jacket and shirt with open collar look (that Yuzu's got on) fairly frequently.  

My one and only boyfriend literally laughed at the idea of a fancy date. His idea of a special night out was paying for my ribs at Montana's. Sadly, he's the norm, not the exception around here :(. kind of glad we're exes. And I'd like to think Yuzu would have the class to treat a girl to a fancy date if he were so inclined. 

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Plenty of fancy/formal restaurants here, but I don't know anyone who goes to them for dates, unless it's something like a wedding anniversary or an engagement or something. Lots of government wonks using the restaurants for 'working dinners', though. And the men going to those use this dress jacket and shirt with open collar look (that Yuzu's got on) fairly frequently.  

My one and only boyfriend literally laughed at the idea of a fancy date. His idea of a special night out was paying for my ribs at Montana's. Sadly, he's the norm, not the exception around here :(. kind of glad we're exes. And I'd like to think Yuzu would have the class to treat a girl to a fancy date if he were so inclined. 

There again, I was very pleased with the quiet, traditional Portuguese restaurant we found, with real Portuguese family dishes, where casual clothes were the norm. I think this idea of "formal date" is not that European, from what I've heard from my friends. I have kept a weakness to good cod dishes and never found the like of their collard soup.