General Yuzuru Chat

On 9/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, snowy said:

Hi everyone,

I came here after closing my account in "Golden Skate" under username "Farnaz". I am not a really super fan but it got to a point there that even having a Yuzu avatar would make you an automatic target. For a long time, I did not want to be part of Hanyu planet since I love FS itself regardless of the athletes. But, this long drought and stressful life demands the ray of hope that Yuzuru is.

Kore kara wa yoroshku onegai shimasu (Hope it was correct :wink2:)

:campfr:

Welcome.  I wish you much fun on the “planet”. :wave:

I am new too and very glad I found this place :img_20:

Unfortunately I can't always write much, because I find it difficult to formulate some things in English. But I try my best.

11 hours ago, memae said:

I find everyone is pretty fair here. I've barely seen criticism of other skaters that I would say was out of line or uncalled for. I'm not quiet about the fact that I am a fan of Nathan as well as Yuzu and no one here has ever jumped on me for it (I do, even as someone who quite likes his style, lament the boring transitions and all the crossovers). People here were upset with Nathan's GPF 19 scores but I think everyone was fair in how they justified their anger over the inflation. No one was just yelling and screaming over it because he won and Yuzu didn't. I can't say the same for every pocket of the internet that figure skating fans and Fanyus frequent. Disagreements here are usually productive and interesting. I'd say that here on PH we're in the healthy range for figure skating fans (our obsession aside, of course). 

I can definitely agree with this :2thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Neenah said:

I really miss his skating so much.  

me too :smiley-sad021:

5 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Tbh I really never understood why Yuzu has so many antis :( what confused me the most is that he even has antis in Japan. I understand if his skating isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (we all have our preferences which is completely okay) but how can they dislike someone who has done so much and sacrificed so much for the country? I can’t understand... I guess this is the price you pay for being famous and well-loved, you will get your fair share of people who hate you.

😟

I am new to the fandom and shocked by the hate comments on Twitter. Yuzu is such a nice person. It makes me very sad.  :crybaby:

I'd like to thank everyone, who has contributed something to the creation of Yuzu's page on Wikiquote so far. You were a very big help! :thanks:

The page is still far from being complete, but it's a very decent collection of quotes already, especially for this short amount of time.

For those who are interested to read the latest version, here it is: Yuzuru Hanyu on Wikiquote (draft page)

I will not be able to do much in the next couple of days (weeks) due to work and other commitments, but if you have suggestions or additions, please share them in the discussion thread!

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Please don't come at me but... I actually don't like yuzu the fruit and yuzu drinks too.... XD Is this allowed on this forum?

I tried making jam from yuzu fruit this spring and it was awful.  No amount of sugar could sweeten it.  I was very disappointed. I've had pastries with yuzu-flavored custard in them and I don't know how they got past the sharpness.  It's just a super tart fruit - but I love yuzu gummies and yuzu hot sauce (from Trader Joe's).  Trader Joe's also has a coconut yuzu sparkling beverage that is pretty good, too, and very thirst-quenching.

4 hours ago, barbara said:

I tried making jam from yuzu fruit this spring and it was awful.  No amount of sugar could sweeten it.  I was very disappointed. I've had pastries with yuzu-flavored custard in them and I don't know how they got past the sharpness.  It's just a super tart fruit - but I love yuzu gummies and yuzu hot sauce (from Trader Joe's).  Trader Joe's also has a coconut yuzu sparkling beverage that is pretty good, too, and very thirst-quenching.

I wonder if they're often not pure yuzu. I often add a bit of orange when I make lemon curd if I know kids are going to be eating it just to reduce the tartness. I have never used yuzu in cooking but when I make marmalade I often boil citrus fruit whole, then take of the peel and remove the pith (grapefruit I find needs a second soaking after removing some of the pith just because it's so thick). And then I segment the fruit, add the sugar, and let it macerate overnight before boiling it down the next day.  Perhaps with yuzu macerating will draw the flavour into the sugar so then when the jam is made the fruit can be strained out to reduce the tartness. Honey is good too for cutting the tartness - I think it would go nicely with yuzu although my go-to with really sour citrus is always to add an orange (except with limes because their flavour is too different). 

7 hours ago, barbara said:

Have you tried the golden kiwi fruit---inside is a nice golden color. Couldn't find a kiwi emoticon---only peach ones were available, for good reason :rofl:l. I used to hate kiwi fruit before I discovered these. They are much more mild than the green ones, taste sweeter!  The downside is that as a consequence, they have more carbs, but whats 2-3 grams more :lol:.  I usually buy them at Aeon, the local grocery store, but for those of you near a Costco, you can get a much bigger pack for cheaper per fruit.

1 hour ago, Ladysci said:

Have you tried the golden kiwi fruit---inside is a nice golden color. Couldn't find a kiwi emoticon---only peach ones were available, for good reason :rofl:l. I used to hate kiwi fruit before I discovered these. They are much more mild than the green ones, taste sweeter!  The downside is that as a consequence, they have more carbs, but whats 2-3 grams more :lol:.  I usually buy them at Aeon, the local grocery store, but for those of you near a Costco, you can get a much bigger pack for cheaper per fruit.

I never know that yellow kiwi has more carbs than the green one :shocked: But anyway, the taste is definitely milder. As a personal note, whichever type of kiwi you choose, do not go for the kiwai :Poohgaveup: (that tiny thing is even worse than a lemon, I'm telling you :Poohgaveup:)

I live in kiwifruit country and my brother and nephew have kiwifruit orchards. Green kiwifruit got the PSA virus a few years ago so more gold than green is grown now. There is also a red one which we rarely see here as it's more for export. I wish they would grow yuzu too as it's very hard to find here. Yuzu ice cream is oishii.

Sorry :offtopic2:

10 hours ago, barbara said:

You were able to find the actual fruit? I've never seen them in the local markets. I'll have to pay more attention.

I love <3 yuzu-flavored stuff. That's another item that goes under "If it wasn't for Yuzuru..." cuz I probably would not have discovered the yuzu fruit on my own.

I have the Trader Joe's yuzu stuff too, along with other assorted yuzu-flavored goods from the Asian markets. They definitely pair honey with yuzu cuz I've bought yuzu-honey candy before. 

50 minutes ago, anniered said:

I live in kiwifruit country and my brother and nephew have kiwifruit orchards. Green kiwifruit got the PSA virus a few years ago so more gold than green is grown now. There is also a red one which we rarely see here as it's more for export. I wish they would grow yuzu too as it's very hard to find here. Yuzu ice cream is oishii.

Sorry :offtopic2:

So that's why I haven't seen the green kiwis for a while. I thought people preferred the yellow kiwis so they stopped selling the green ones. I didn't know there were red kiwis too.

I'll have to hunt down some yuzu ice cream!

33 minutes ago, IceWings said:

You were able to find the actual fruit? I've never seen them in the local markets. I'll have to pay more attention.

I love <3 yuzu-flavored stuff. That's another item that goes under "If it wasn't for Yuzuru..." cuz I probably would not have discovered the yuzu fruit on my own.

I have the Trader Joe's yuzu stuff too, along with other assorted yuzu-flavored goods from the Asian markets. They definitely pair honey with yuzu cuz I've bought yuzu-honey candy before. 

So that's why I haven't seen the green kiwis for a while. I thought people preferred the yellow kiwis so they stopped selling the green ones. I didn't know there were red kiwis too.

I'll have to hunt down some yuzu ice cream!

People grow yuzu trees in Tucson and can't give their extra fruit away.  I's read a posting on a neighborhood site about "pick your own" from several trees in someone's yard. And, like you, have never actually seen them in the market.  But I can understand that - they really can't be eaten straight.   Maybe drenched in honey. But they make a grapefruit seem like candy.

4 hours ago, Ladysci said:

I've never seen a yellow kiwi (and am fond enough of the green ones) but will look in Costco next time I go.  Thanks..

I love kiwifruit and yuzu:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: they are both refreshing.
Yuzu goes well with salt or salty food as well. I sometimes make yuzu dressing using yuzu juice or make pasta with dried yuzu peel, cabbage, and sakura shrimp. Although I cannot make it myself, yuzu-flavored pickled Japanese radish or Chinese cabbage is delicious. Yuzu juice goes well with grilled fish as well.

6 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

I love kiwifruit and yuzu:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: they are both refreshing.
Yuzu goes well salt or salty food as well. I sometimes make yuzu dressing using yuzu juice or make pasta with dried yuzu peel, cabbage, and sakura shrimp. Although I cannot make it myself, yuzu-flavored pickled Japanese radish or Chinese cabbage is delicious. Yuzu juice goes well with grilled fish as well.

I had yuzu salt on fish in a restaurant in Kanazawa and it was delicious. I couldn't find it in a supermarket in Japan though and neither could a Japanese friend.