General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, LadyLou said:

of course it is:biggrin:

you can pick your own personal rank, though the Yuzu-themed "official" rankings are so much fun too:665e343793b9: For example, I'm eagerly waiting to see what my next rank will be (15 posts to go!)

Ngl, sometimes things might get a bit gloomy/heated in the competition threads, but we strive not to jump at each others' throat, or at skaters' throats... though we kinda rant about ISU 24/7:10814716:

also, it's a Yuzu forum, so  the Yuzu gushing might slip here and there in the other threads LMAO but don't worry, there's plenty of satellites absolutely in love with other skaters too:pbow:  I migrated to this forum basically the moment it was created and I have never regretted it...and on this Planet I've "met" most of the other skaters I like and follow now.

I hope you 'll have as much fun here as I did(and do)!

I find everyone is pretty fair here. I've barely seen criticism of other skaters that I would say was out of line or uncalled for. I'm not quiet about the fact that I am a fan of Nathan as well as Yuzu and no one here has ever jumped on me for it (I do, even as someone who quite likes his style, lament the boring transitions and all the crossovers). People here were upset with Nathan's GPF 19 scores but I think everyone was fair in how they justified their anger over the inflation. No one was just yelling and screaming over it because he won and Yuzu didn't. I can't say the same for every pocket of the internet that figure skating fans and Fanyus frequent. Disagreements here are usually productive and interesting. I'd say that here on PH we're in the healthy range for figure skating fans (our obsession aside, of course). 

15 minutes ago, memae said:

I find everyone is pretty fair here. I've barely seen criticism of other skaters that I would say was out of line or uncalled for. I'm not quiet about the fact that I am a fan of Nathan as well as Yuzu and no one here has ever jumped on me for it (I do, even as someone who quite likes his style, lament the boring transitions and all the crossovers). People here were upset with Nathan's GPF 19 scores but I think everyone was fair in how they justified their anger over the inflation. No one was just yelling and screaming over it because he won and Yuzu didn't. I can't say the same for every pocket of the internet that figure skating fans and Fanyus frequent. Disagreements here are usually productive and interesting. I'd say that here on PH we're in the healthy range for figure skating fans (our obsession aside, of course). 

Perhaps the Planet is the last bastion of civil discourse, bound together by the absolute certainty that Yuzu is the most complete and awesome and generous skater of all time. We try, I think, to follow his example of kindness and acceptance.  He'd be the first to admit that he isn't always perfect and that he makes mistakes in competitions (the SP at GP'19 a harrowing case in point-and yes, Nathan's scores were over-inflated.)  I like some other skaters, too.  But Yuzu is not another skater and on this we all agree.

Yuzu pics on display in Shanghai! 

Tbh I really never understood why Yuzu has so many antis :( what confused me the most is that he even has antis in Japan. I understand if his skating isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (we all have our preferences which is completely okay) but how can they dislike someone who has done so much and sacrificed so much for the country? I can’t understand... I guess this is the price you pay for being famous and well-loved, you will get your fair share of people who hate you.

57 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:
Tbh I really never understood why Yuzu has so many antis :( what confused me the most is that he even has antis in Japan. I understand if his skating isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (we all have our preferences which is completely okay) but how can they dislike someone who has done so much and sacrificed so much for the country? I can’t understand... I guess this is the price you pay for being famous and well-loved, you will get your fair share of people who hate you.

Well, Grouchy Smurf hates yuzu (the fruit). And skating. And all. But he secretly lurks at night, when the village is asleep and Yuzu Smurf is skating on the lake under the Moon.

https://smurfs.fandom.com/wiki/Grouchy_Smurf

6 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Well, Grouchy Smurf hates yuzu (the fruit). And skating. And all. But he secretly lurks at night, when the village is asleep and Yuzu Smurf is skating on the lake under the Moon.

https://smurfs.fandom.com/wiki/Grouchy_Smurf

Please don't come at me but... I actually don't like yuzu the fruit and yuzu drinks too.... XD Is this allowed on this forum?

13 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Yuzu pics on display in Shanghai! 

I believe a reason is he rose up the rank while Dai was still competing with a very loyal fan base, some of whom blindly so (but there will be people like that in every fandom, won’t there?). Also, I remember it was said that some of his speech and traits are not very Japanese, among some other reasons.

But the antis, in general, are born because it’s human nature, I guess. We all have those we like and don’t like, as you say. They just take their distaste up a notch, to the more extreme side, so sacrifice is looked at with doubt and achievements with bitterness. 

On this topic, I don’t know if this happens often but I have seen Loyal fans turn other fans away/into antis with their behaviors.

On why some people in Japan hate Yuzu there could be many reasons.  First off, I'd say 'jealousy and resentment'.  They favor another skater and are jealous that Yuzu's success overshadows their favorite.  Second, I think, might be the fact that he's not training in Japan.  Third might be that some people automatically hate anybody who's well-loved simply as a matter of principle.  Finally, Yuzu's many excellences as a human being are hated because those excellences are not their own.  Regarding all these haters out their I can only say that hating takes so much out of a person's life that they are only to be pitied.  Love is much less labor intensive than hatred.

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

. Also, I remember it was said that some of his speech and traits are not very Japanese, among some other reasons.

This. This triggers me so much. Maybe as a non-Japanese I have no right to comment but, like, seriously...of all the lame criticisms. The guy does more for Japan in four minutes on the ice than any other civilian they have has done in a year.

I have heard from talking to Japanese fans in Kelowna that part of the issue is that Yuzu is from Tohoku, which is apparently looked-down upon in certain circles. As I am not from Japan, I can't comment as to the reality of this at all, so make of it what you will.

And just as suggestion, talking about what reasons antis have for being anti, is not really a productive conversation, so should we steer away from it maybe?