General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, Ladysci said:

Anyone else out there in the typhoon zone?

Not in the typhoon zone but currently in the  tornado zone which shortly will be traded in for the blizzard zone.  In a sense I envy you, because I really would like to experience a good hurricane/typhoon although once would probably be enough.  I've never experienced a serious tornado although some years ago a real humdinger of one went through the southern part of the county I live in.  I've experienced blizzards and loved the experience and would welcome any more that might come along but that's just me.  I LOVE winter and all my friends consider me seriously weird because of that.  Thunderstorms are great also but except for those and the longer days I'd happily get by without summer.  Again, that's just me.  Anyone else with hangups about where they live.  Oh, one other thing.  I love Yuzu and can never get enough of him.  My friends also consider me weird because of that but I don't think I really have to explain that hangup here.  After all, we're all part of the Yuzuru Hanyu pandemic.

9 hours ago, sweetwater said:

If you are going to make a page on English Wikiquote, I am not sure about using fan translations like mine. I checked Yui Aragaki and Chiaki Kuriyama's pages, for example, but their quotes were excerpts from English articles. I guess the quotes on Wikiquote should be something official, and if it is a translation, you need to be able to provide info as to who can take responsibility for the translation as well? I don't look up Wikiquote so often, so sorry if I am mistaken.

My experience with "official" or "reliable" sources is that they are either incomplete, inaccurate, stolen from fans (hello Olympic Channel) or... don't exist at all. Even the subtitles in the official CBC interview were pretty poor. I had the feeling that they only translated every second or third sentence. With simplified wording.

If I could, I would translate Yuzu's quotes myself, but my Japanese skills are too poor for that. Wikipedia has its own team of translators, who are ready to help out with one or two quotes, but I cannot expect them to translate a whole page of quotes. So the only option remaining is fan translations, but I need explicit permission (that's why I didn't dare to publish the draft with your text).

Quick info about quotes on Wikipedia and partner projects:

The most important thing is that you write down the exact quote in its original language and name the source with its publication date. If the orginal language is not English, you must add an English translation, preferably from a "reliable" source, but you are free to add your own as well. Usually Wikipedia authors do not put their name under a translation, but it's permitted. However, if you click on "view history", every edit on the page and every author (username) is listed with exact time and date. The system is quite transparent in that regard.

By the way. Here is the statistics of Yuzu's current English Wikipedia article  :ummm:

Wiki Edit Statistics: Yuzuru Hanyu

Page created:  2 January 2009

Number of editors:  814

Number of edits:  2,579

If you scroll down, you can also find a list of users who worked the most on his article and how the page has progressed over the years.

EDIT: And this is how Yuzu's Wikipedia article looked like when it was created in 2009 :10636614:

Wiki Archive: Yuzuru Hanyu (2 January 2009)

40 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

My experience with "official" or "reliable" sources is that they are either incomplete, inaccurate, stolen from fans (hello Olympic Channel) or... don't exist at all. Even the subtitles in the official CBC interview were pretty poor. I had the feeling that they only translated every second or third sentence. With simplified wording.

If I could, I would translate Yuzu's quotes myself, but my Japanese skills are too poor for that. Wikipedia has its own team of translators, who are ready to help out with one or two quotes, but I cannot expect them to translate a whole page of quotes. So the only option remaining is fan translations, but I need explicit permission (that's why I didn't dare to publish the draft with your text).

The most important thing is that you write down the exact quote in its original language and name the source with its publication date. If the orginal language is not English, you must add an English translation, preferably from a "reliable" source, but you are free to add your own as well. Usually Wikipedia authors do not put their name under a translation, but it's permitted. However, if you click on "view history", every edit on the page and every author (username) is listed with exact time and date. The system is quite transparent in that regard.

By the way. Here is the statistics of Yuzu's current English Wikipedia article  :ummm:

If you scroll down, you can also find a list of users who worked the most on his article and how the page has progressed over the years.

EDIT: And this is how Yuzu's Wikipedia article looked like when it was created in 2009 :10636614:

Thank you for your explanation! So what is absolutely necessary is the info regarding the source. I think I can help with finding sources in Japanese, and with adding translations sometimes if people read them knowing they are fan translation.

The schedule of events is out for Worlds....yay we can see just the gala mentioned on the Sunday, no awards - that's if Worlds goes ahead at all... and will Yuzuru (and fans) travel even if it does??

10 hours ago, sweetwater said:

I am glad if I could help you :happy:

Regarding the Wikiquote, I misread your post and thought you were talking about creating a wiki dedicated to his famous quotes on this planet. If you are going to make a page on English Wikiquote, I am not sure about using fan translations like mine. I checked Yui Aragaki and Chiaki Kuriyama's pages, for example, but their quotes were excerpts from English articles. I guess the quotes on Wikiquote should be something official, and if it is a translation, you need to be able to provide info as to who can take responsibility for the translation as well? I don't look up Wikiquote so often, so sorry if I am mistaken.

But it would be convenient if there is a page you can look up his interesting quotes and their sources. It's fun to search and discuss each time as well, but sometimes it is tough since there are so many quotes, sources, and translations...

@Henni147 do you think you can create a quote wiki on the planet too? :snonegai::embSwan: tbh we don't need it in two places, maybe we can link it somewhere...

:mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4::mushroom4:

The "MGC Mitsubishi Gas Chemistry Ice Arena Trophy", a competition in which the figure skating athletes in Niigata Prefecture and children aiming to be athletes try their strengths, was held on the 29th at the arena in Chuo-ku, Niigata City.

(...)

In the 5th grade of elementary school in Kashiwazaki City, who participated in the men's beginner class, a boy (10) longed for Yuzuru Hanyu and has been practicing for four years. "I'm glad I made a fast spin today," he said with satisfaction.

https://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/local/20200831565048.html

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Wow, that Wiki page was such a glow-up!! In 11 years, he went from Japanese junior champion to 2X Olympic Champion, only men’s singles skater to achieve the Super Slam, and the GOAT of figure skating 😳😳😳

meanwhile 11 years ago I was a potato and I am still a potato now 

9 hours ago, micaelis said:

Not in the typhoon zone but currently in the  tornado zone which shortly will be traded in for the blizzard zone.  In a sense I envy you, because I really would like to experience a good hurricane/typhoon although once would probably be enough.  I've never experienced a serious tornado although some years ago a real humdinger of one went through the southern part of the county I live in.  I've experienced blizzards and loved the experience and would welcome any more that might come along but that's just me.  I LOVE winter and all my friends consider me seriously weird because of that.  Thunderstorms are great also but except for those and the longer days I'd happily get by without summer.  Again, that's just me.  Anyone else with hangups about where they live.  Oh, one other thing.  I love Yuzu and can never get enough of him.  My friends also consider me weird because of that but I don't think I really have to explain that hangup here.  After all, we're all part of the Yuzuru Hanyu pandemic.

Yeah, my hangup about where I live (Eastern seaboard) is waiting for the inevitable next hurricane to come.  It's that time of year.  One is one too many IMHO.

My friends also consider me weird for liking figure skating.  They are hockey fans, so I just tell them I like my skaters with front teeth.

14 hours ago, micaelis said:

I also live in a tornado zone and I used to live in a hurricane zone. We once had 4 hurricanes in one year. I prefer hurricanes to tornados because at least you know when they are coming!! I don't enjoy grabbing things and running into a closet downstairs.Though hurricanes often have tornados in them...

I love winter too. Most people seem to dislike it for some reason but I'd rather be cold than hot. And I'm crazy about snow though sadly we only get 1 or 2 inches a year. 

To all of you in Japan I'm praying it won't be bad!!

11 hours ago, Glory said:

I also live in a tornado zone and I used to live in a hurricane zone. We once had 4 hurricanes in one year. I prefer hurricanes to tornados because at least you know when they are coming!! I don't enjoy grabbing things and running into a closet downstairs.Though hurricanes often have tornados in them...

I love winter too. Most people seem to dislike it for some reason but I'd rather be cold than hot. And I'm crazy about snow though sadly we only get 1 or 2 inches a year. 

To all of you in Japan I'm praying it won't be bad!!

Same. Ottawa seems to be located right at the confluence of the huge air masses pushing east across the continent and the ones coming up the seaboard from the south, so we get everything. Although we're far enough inland that most of the hurricane-force winds have lost their strength by the time they hit us. We do get the rain and flash flooding though. And we get tornadoes. 

But mostly we get heavy thunderstorms throughout the summer. Scary because of lightning but a little less destructive. 

Here's hoping the typhoons lose strength before they hit land for the rest of the season. Japan needs a break :).