General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I know...but please let me dream a hakama Yuzu dream for a little longer...:10742290:

I am so sorry... Yeah, it would be nice to see another version of hakama Yuzu in front of a white wall since the last one was heavenly...

19944661_813482918825774_209659579042667

(I know we've already seen this, but I am going to post it because I love it)

8 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

I am so sorry... Yeah, it would be nice to see another version of hakama Yuzu in front of a white wall since the last one was heavenly...

19944661_813482918825774_209659579042667

(I know we've already seen this, but I am going to post it because I love it)

It might sound a little bit dumb to say that a Japanese person looks great in hakama, but really, Yuzuru looks exceptionally well in Japanese clothes. 

7 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It might sound a little bit dumb to say that a Japanese person looks great in hakama, but really, Yuzuru looks exceptionally well in Japanese clothes. 

That's because in the looks department Yuzu's looks are on an ionospheric level.  He's one of those who looks exceptionally well in almost anything, even suit coats with horribly short arms

1 minute ago, micaelis said:

That's because in the looks department Yuzu's looks are on an ionospheric level.  He's one of those who looks exceptionally well in almost anything, even suit coats with horribly short arms

Yes, but I mean, he looks better than you'd even expect. I sometimes feel like it's a shame he can't wear kimono all the time. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think not every Japanese looks good in kimono or hakama. Because most of us don't wear them daily, so we don't know much about how to move in them or to handle them. It is said that people with sloped shoulders and a long neck look good in kimonos, so Yuzu may be gifted for wearing kimonos. But I think his awareness about his posture, the ability to control his body, and his attention to details are helping him looking so good here.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, Hope_and_Legacy said:

[...] I always really love reading Yuzu's quotes. Sorry for the trouble, but could you let me know where the last quote (I am neither greater nor less than Yuzuru Hanyu) is from? I just like knowing context of things, and I've seen that one several times, but I haven't been able to find out when he said that. Thank you! :loveshower:

The truth is... When I edited the video with Yuzu's famous quotes, I couldn't find all original sources either, this one included. I wish, there was a page, where you can find his best quotes with the exact source, original wording and accurate translations... (ideally in chronological order).

Since Yuzu's words have such deep meaning and impact on so many people all over the world, maybe we as his fans could use the current drought to do something like this.

I would actually volunteer to create a page for him on Wikiquote. I think, that is currently the best platform to collect and present quotes from famous people. It's a website that everyone can access and edit, so it's easy to expand the list of quotes at any time. Also, it can be linked directly with his Wikipedia article, so it's more likely that people will actually view and read it.

Do you think, it's a good idea?

9 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

She makes several of these types of dolls. I also love the "Let's Go Crazy" doll - it features a prominent little butt!

eta: if you click on the link to her profile, you can see the other ones. I can't figure out how to link directly to the screen that pops up

eta 2: If you go to the group page and click on the link to her profile, a page pops up that shows all the pics that she's posted to the group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/2709581379289651/?comment_id=2709714319276357&reply_comment_id=2710291745885281&notif_id=1598683206432756&notif_t=group_comment_mention

That is SOO cute! In general I don't think it's a big deal to sell/buy fan goods like this. It obviously takes time to make and requires the artist to have a lot of original input into the item. Sometimes I do want to support both Yuzu AND small fan artists. So it's not like buying from the fan artist will lead me to spend less money on Yuzu! ;)

23 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

The truth is... When I edited the video with Yuzu's famous quotes, I couldn't find all original sources either, this one included. I wish, there was a page, where you can find his best quotes with the exact source, original wording and accurate translations... (ideally in chronological order).

Since Yuzu's words have such deep meaning and impact on so many people all over the world, maybe we as his fans could use the current drought to do something like this.

I would actually volunteer to create a page for him on Wikiquote. I think, that is currently the best platform to collect and present quotes from famous people. It's a website that everyone can access and edit, so it's easy to expand the list of quotes at any time. Also, it can be linked directly with his Wikipedia article, so it's more likely that people will actually view and read it.

Great idea!

With all the talk about Yuzu products by various artists, and gifts "maybe" included with purchases, I'd like to point out that all of the very best Yuzu-inspired artwork and pins and keychains and magnets and postcards and stickers are made by Fanyus and given, freely, to each other at competitions.  I love my photo books, but I treasure the Fanyu gifties, made with love and given in the Yuzu spirit of sharing. And the clear files given to each other, especially because they are only available in Japan.  (This doesn't mean I wouldn't love to win or be given anything personalized by Yuzu himself...) 

55 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Thank you so much for letting me know!!! :thanks: And I think that's a great idea! :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

That quote - "I am neither greater nor less than Yuzuru Hanyu" - doesn't it come from one of those really introspective interviews he gave after JNats and before 4CC? I seem to remember reading a translation with that in it at around that time. 

I think he's partially quoting Leornardo Da Vinci there, who wrote that "You will never have a greater nor lesser dominion that that over yourself" - i.e. to be oneself is equally and simultaneously both a no-brainer and the largest challenge you'll ever have. 

@Henni147, @Hope_and_Legacy,

I think this may be the source... :

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/783564#:~:text=羽生結弦以上でも、以下でもない。,を、五輪でもしっかりやりたい。

「僕は僕。羽生結弦以上でも、以下でもない。ありのままの自分が出来る事を、五輪でもしっかりやりたい。」
(I am what I am, nothing more nor less than Yuzuru Hanyu. I want to be myself and do what I can do to the full at the Olympics as well.)

This is his comment excerpted from an interview given after Japanese Nationals 2013 and published in Number issue no. 846 shortly before Sochi 2014. The article is about how Yuzu had chased Patrick since Yuzu first competed with him in 2010. I guess it was his answer to a question about his resolution toward Sochi, and the interviewer mentioned Patrick while asking or something, but the context isn't clear in the original text.

Sorry that I can't share the whole article or the gist since it's very long...

ETA: Another article quoting the same comment

https://www.jiji.com/sp/v4?id=14sochioghanyu0002

◇重圧はねのけ、刻んだ歴史

表情にまだあどけなさの残る19歳が、快挙を成し遂げた。日本男子初の五輪金メダル。羽生が夢の初舞台で、頂点に立った。

ショートプログラム(SP)で史上初の100点超えの高得点をマークして迎えたフリー。重圧のかかる場面でも「自分は羽生結弦以上でも以下でもない」と目の前の演技に集中した。

演じたフリーは「ロミオとジュリエット」。仙台市出身で、東日本大震災で被災した後の2011~12年シーズンにも踊った思い入れのあるプログラム。高難度のジャンプを跳び、被災地にも希望を届けるような豊かな感情表現でも魅了した。総合1位に立つと、直後に滑ったSP2位で、世界選手権3連覇中のチャン(カナダ)は羽生に届かず、この時点で勝負の大勢は決した。

12年世界選手権で銅メダルを手にした後、さらなる飛躍を求めて仙台を後にし、バンクーバー五輪で金妍児(韓国)を女王に導いたオーサー・コーチに師事した。当初は言葉の壁にも直面したが、成長したい一心で、異なる環境の苦労もいとわなかった。積み重ねた努力の結晶が、大きく花開いた。

4歳でスケートを始め、7歳で02年ソルトレークシティー五輪を見た時から、大舞台を夢にしてきた。ロシア南部にあるソチで、新たな歴史が刻まれた。(時事)

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

@Henni147, @Hope_and_Legacy,

I think this may be the source... :

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/783564#:~:text=羽生結弦以上でも、以下でもない。,を、五輪でもしっかりやりたい。

This is his comment excerpted from an interview given after Japanese Nationals 2013 and published in Number issue no. 846 shortly before Sochi 2014. The article is about how Yuzu had chased Patrick since Yuzu first competed with him in 2010. I guess it was his answer to a question about his resolution toward Sochi, and the interviewer mentioned Patrick while asking or something, but the context isn't clear in the original text.

Sorry that I can't share the whole article or the gist since it's very long...

ETA: Another article quoting the same comment

https://www.jiji.com/sp/v4?id=14sochioghanyu0002

Thank you so much! This is exactly the source I needed.

I created a draft on wikiquote following their (very strict) layout and quotation guidelines. For me the most important thing is that both the original wording and the translations are correct and accurate.

I haven't published the draft yet (with only 3 quotes it's a bit poor at this point), but I think, with everyone's help it could turn into something promising.

Spoiler

u1hW6Gi.png