General Yuzuru Chat

:clapping-smiley::clapping-smiley::clapping-smiley::congratualtions:

Well done Yuzu!!! Another milestone achieved in your life, one no less significant than all your skating achievements. And it's so like him to research into an area that benefits his beloved sport and seeks to improve it. I hope the fanyus get cracking on translating his thesis as it'll be a fascinating read, although as a humanities major, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't understand half of it.

I’m so so proud of Yuzu, he’s sooo smart and hardworking!! Not only is he the nost dedicated to the sport, has the best technique and the best artistry, he also contributes to the development of the sport with his thesis... truly extraordinary, truly the GOAT, truly born to skate.

But seriously though, what would his references section look like?? When the sources are mostly himself XD

Doing the ISU's work for them for free. That Most Valuable Skater award really hits on a different level now:hihi:

I'm so happy for him and I hope this is a weight off his mind! Imagine, the past year or more, every time he went for a jump in competition, his thesis probably flashed before his eyes.....

On 8/18/2020 at 6:45 PM, Whoopiewoop said:

We always talk about how perfect he is. So I have a suggestion, although I'm aware that it might end up opening a can of worms. :laughing:

How about we list what we consider his (meaningless) flaws based on what we have been shown throughout these years? :sin: Obviously we don't know him on a personal level so all opinions would be rather "superficial" I'd say.

Just an idea...to pass the time during this drought.

If that's ok, I'll start. His appetite. Oh boy, I love food, I love to cook and I love to eat (how I've not become obese after all this time I have no idea, must me my South American heritage). I almost feel offended when people don't stuff themselves up with amazing food when it's-right-there!

Pft, I give up. He's perfect. :gaah:

1 hour ago, Fay said:

The technology wasn’t cheap... 

According to the pdf shared in this tweet, several years ago, a professor in the same department was researching remote coaching using motion capture in classical Japanese dancing and figure skating. Although the release date of the equipment Yuzu used in his research was much later, there is a possibility that Waseda has it for other research.

21 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

According to the pdf shared in this tweet, several years ago, a professor in the same department was researching remote coaching using motion capture in classical Japanese dancing and figure skating. Although the release date of the equipment Yuzu used in his research was much later, there is a possibility that Waseda has it for other research.

Hmmm, then Yuzu had it on loan for quite a while. :P 

When a student submits their proposed research topic right at the start, they (and if they've already talked it through with the Faculty, someone there like the proposed supervisor) usually also come up with the list of the resources needed and from my time working at university, this is considered before their proposal is accepted. I can't see Waseda approving such a resource-heavy proposal unless they had/were arranging what was necessary or Yuzuru made it clear he was covering that part of the cost. When you think of his earnings the last few years, he can more than afford it, and probably has plans for anything he bought post-graduation.

Waseda is a wealthy institution, though, so they could also afford it as long as they were able to justify it for staff or other students. Remember, Yuzuru Hanyu is very much a prized student to them, they make that very clear.