General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Also with Camden Pulkinen – he was super impressed and thought that Yuzu was a classy man when Yuzu went out of his way to take a selfie with Camden.

....at the 4CC banquet, no less...while everyone else was after Yuzu for a photo. Camden still sounded amazed about when he mentioned it in the interview.

9 hours ago, IceWings said:

Here too, in the first video (You might have to click View to see the video hidden for "potentially sensitive content"). At 0:45, he offers to take a selfie with the 2 women, and then runs to a surprised Kevin Aymoz to take a selfie with him.

I think the funniest thing about this video is how quickly Kevin adopts his "selfie face".  

39 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

It's amazing, but 羊 is sheep, and 习 isn't used as an independent kanji in Japanese, so I would call it an incredible coincidence, like his winning 1000th OGM.

As far as I know, 羊 means both sheep and goat in Chinese. And 习 does mean to learn/practice in Chinese. I wouldn't put it past our super perfectionist boy to actually do some research on Chinese characters before choosing his kanji. :pouty:

Quick translation of the article by Mr. Tsutomu Takasu. (Not so quick actually :animal0070: )

https://real-sports.jp/page/articles/422376074614145985

Yuzuru Hanyu continues to take on challenges in the harsh world he has created himself.  Photographer Tsutomu Takasu gives us a glimpse of his true face

At the moment an athlete shines, we are thrilled and excited, and moved to tears at times.  The photographer waits for such a moment through the viewfinder to capture them forever.  Standing on the same field as the athletes stand and not missing any of their moves, there are scenes that can be felt.

Yuzuru Hanyu, also known as the “absolute champion” by the media, was however going through a tougher time than ever before last season.  How did he look in the eyes of Tsutomu Takasu, a photographer, who has been pursuing many sports scenes including figure skating?  We asked him to tell us the real face of the athlete he saw:

" The harsh world created by Yuzuru Hanyu.  A perpetual challenger who always aims for the higher level.

When I'm taking photos of sports, what I put most importance on is the facial expressions of the athletes.  To be precise, I’m particular about the position of their eyes.  In that sense, Yuzuru Hanyu is the best subject.  At a press conference, while listening to his rivals talking, he is staring at one point, then nodding with a big smile.  He is always very expressive.  My most favorite thing about him is his murderous eyes.

I've been following his every move, literally from the moment he arrives on the scene to the moment he leaves the rink. I don't know any other athlete like him.  Why do I keep chasing him?  Of course, I have to respond to the needs as it’s my job.  However, even if it’s my job, I am not such a hard-working man that I can keep up with it all the time.  I once thought there might be some other reason.

In writing this article, I was looking for the reasons, and I found a few things that came to mind, so I'd like to share them with you.

I think that the world of figure skating has changed before and after Hanyu, as the framework of two opposing advantages; "highly difficult jumps vs. expressiveness", which was a hot topic about 10 years ago, no longer holds true.  Nowadays, you can't talk about figure skating without quad jumps.  It requires more difficult jumps and more beautiful skating.  It is definitely Hanyu who has created such a world of figure skating.

But the world he wanted to live in was harsh.  The quad jumps hurt his ankles mercilessly.  Still, he would not give up.  He keeps challenging.  The media that want to hype up might call him the absolute champion, but I don't see it that way.  He is a man who is always aiming for even higher levels and is willing to take risks in order to reach there.  To put it in a cool way, he's a perpetual challenger, but put simply, he has a ultimate competitive spirit and hates to lose.  He does not care where his interests lie.  Losing in a competition is out of the question. He doesn't even like to lose to himself yesterday.

Last season, he spoke of his wish "to skate without injury through the season".  I guess that's because he has been suffering from injuries over the past years, but it was a bit surprising to me.  Did you blame me if I would say he had matured?  I thought he had chosen to endure for the challenge aiming a new world in the next season.  But after all he is not a man who can contain himself inherently.  He didn't get injured, but he couldn't win.  I think the sudden announcement in February that he was going to change his programs meant it was the limits of his patience.  I nodded when I heard the news, saying to myself, "I knew it, that's what Yuzuru Hanyu is.”

I think that I can watch him all the time because he's such a competitive guy.

There was another thing I noticed last season.  It was at Skate Canada.  During the practice, he picked up a bottle with a red liquid in it.

“Oh, was it that color last year?  I wonder what it tastes like.  Smoothie type? No, it's not viscous, so maybe it's a sports drink?”

I was really surprised to realize that I was thinking like that while shooting.

Is this the so-called (Hanyu) swamp? "

EDIT:  Sorry, I have changed "control himself" to "contain himself", with some minor changes.

3 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

As far as I know, 羊 means both sheep and goat in Chinese. And 习 does mean to learn/practice in Chinese. I wouldn't put it past our super perfectionist boy to actually do some research on Chinese characters before choosing his kanji. :pouty:

Either way, technically the 'feathers' part of his name could sort of be 'practice, practice' in Chinese, then, right? Seems very fitting. :1:

39 minutes ago, Veveco said:

I love seeing the answers/RT to this tweet.

So far I've seen English, Turkish, Malay, French,  Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Indonesian, Arabic, 

Hindi, Tagalog, Chinese, Croatian, Spanish and Greek.

(No Japanese yet :laughing:)

Added in Polish :)