General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

According to Plushenko, he met Yuzuru when he was only 8 years old haha, he says it at about the 1:50 mark:

In 2008 Yuzuru would be 13-14 years old :)

Hmm, where did you read the spin thing from?

Wow! I hope they had an interpreter though. :wink2:

For the spins, I read nothing positive, even less first hand, just some little jokes, even on this forum, suggesting a dislike.

@Lunna If he just doesn't like to train them, maybe, when he's a coach, he will find a method to teach them pleasantly?

10 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

For the spins, I read nothing positive, even less first hand, just some little jokes, even on this forum, suggesting a dislike.

@Lunna If he just doesn't like to train them, maybe, when he's a coach, he will find a method to teach them pleasantly?

I think you're way, way overthinking this. The joke is just that he doesn't train them much in public practice. That's it. For all we know, he could just be confident enough about them and feel he doesn't need to train them compared to more volatile elements like jumps. Other skaters don't really practice spins in public that much either.

57 минут назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Lots of people who skate say that spins make them dizzy, so maybe it's not good/necessary to train them much at least if you're already good at it like Yuzu, though even Yuzu uses mostly the same positions every year.

18 minutes ago, Fay said:

Dear Italian Fanyus, what does this say? 

According to Google translate 'His coach calls him "an alien", in Japan he is the rockstar of # ice skating. #YuzuruHanyu, the athlete twice a gold medal. which aims to land the 4Axel'

24 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Woah, does 2026 Olympics want Yuzu too? XD

Think it’s quite unlikely Yuzu will stay for that long but if he does... he’ll be 31 at that time right? If I’m not wrong, Plushy was 31 at Sochi, right? 

That’s what surprised me. A bit too old, unless you’re a dancer or a pair skater. 

58 minutes ago, Lunna said:

Lots of people who skate say that spins make them dizzy, so maybe it's not good/necessary to train them much at least if you're already good at it like Yuzu, though even Yuzu uses mostly the same positions every year.

I've often wondered what techniques skaters have to prevent dizziness in spins.  Ballet dancers engage in spotting, whereby they spot something in sight and keep their face facing it while the rest of their body is spinning, only letting go when they can't hold on any longer and whipping around their head to again see the spot, doing it repeatedly until the spinning move is finished.  The thing is that ballet spins, at least those on the floor, are slow enough that they can use that technique.  Figure-skating spins are often much more rapid.  Spotting is not a practicable solution.  So if anyone out there on the Planet knows how skaters hold off dizziness, let the rest of us know.

I think Shoma himself said explicitly that he hated spins. Yuzu has never said such a thing. He just doesn't need to practice them during public practices because they're so consistent, and he gets mostly full credit for them anyway. Except for that year at ACI ... :smiley-laughing015:

36 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Woah, does 2026 Olympics want Yuzu too? XD

Think it’s quite unlikely Yuzu will stay for that long but if he does... he’ll be 31 at that time right? If I’m not wrong, Plushy was 31 at Sochi, right? 

11 minutes ago, Fay said:

That’s what surprised me. A bit too old, unless you’re a dancer or a pair skater. 

Never say never! :D

11 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I've often wondered what techniques skaters have to prevent dizziness in spins.  Ballet dancers engage in spotting, whereby they spot something in sight and keep their face facing it while the rest of their body is spinning, only letting go when they can't hold on any longer and whipping around their head to again see the spot, doing it repeatedly until the spinning move is finished.  The thing is that ballet spins, at least those on the floor, are slow enough that they can use that technique.  Figure-skating spins are often much more rapid.  Spotting is not a practicable solution.  So if anyone out there on the Planet knows how skaters hold off dizziness, let the rest of us know.

Maybe I’m not the right person to answer because I am only a beginner skater but I just... kind of got used to it. When I first started learning how to spin I was very dizzy but nowadays I don’t get dizzy any more... although as I said before I am only a beginner doing very basic spins and spinning very slowly :) 

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

I think Shoma himself said explicitly that he hated spins.

I’m surprised though! I thought Shoma’s a pretty good spinner haha

4 hours ago, Veveco said:

I think you're way, way overthinking this. The joke is just that he doesn't train them much in public practice. That's it. For all we know, he could just be confident enough about them and feel he doesn't need to train them compared to more volatile elements like jumps. Other skaters don't really practice spins in public that much either.

I see. Given the result, indeed he doesn't have to train them more.

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

Even with the same positions, his spins are so varied because he models them to suit his programs. As very few skaters do so, I have the impression that it must be very difficult to move the arms or model the back during a spin?

He just doesn't need to practice them during public practices because they're so consistent, and he gets mostly full credit for them anyway. Except for that year at ACI ... :smiley-laughing015:

@yuzuangel I am always shocked at how small his GOEs are for otherwordly spins. 1 point robbed at every spin, make 3 points at the end of a program.

Of course there may be faults I don't see.

46 минут назад, yuzuangel сказал:

Except for that year at ACI ... 

I remember he tried layback position at the final spin, but got rid of it at Helsinki GP already.

Also that cute moment when he ended on his butt at the end of NDP :10636614: