General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, LadyLou said:

RE: COC, under spoiler in case someone wants to skip this discussion

Hide contents

I can still tolerate watching him fall during that free. I can even watch when, after falling, you see him struggling and  taking way too long to get up on his feet.

What really wrecks me is when they showed rinkside Kikuchi crying and Brian trying to encourage him even if he, too, must have felt terribly (they were rinkside, I don't remember if it was during the warm up or during hte skate), and all those uncontrolled sobs afterwards, in the K&C:sad4:  (really hated that camera lingered on that)

And then I think about Yumi probably being beside herself during those 4 minutes and 30secs, but still helping him not to give up on FS afterwards. She might have hated that he went through so much for a sport, and might have wished she could keep him safe and away from it, but she knew how much FS meant for him and never once stopped supporting him :sadPooh::sadPooh::sadPooh:

(from https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/150270208657/my-sharing-from-aoi-hono-ii-warning-will-cause )

We can't know if withdrawing from that comp and sititng out of GPF would have changed his path a lot.

Maybe, if he had taken time to heal without needing to rush for NHK and then GPF, he wouldn't have needed urgent surgery right after Nats and he would have had time to recover before WC. We can only guess, though I tend to lean towards the idea that all those experiences (going back on the ice immediately, then fighting through NHK and finally triumphing at GPF) was important to Yuzu, possibly even necessary, mentally. Without that, maybe the fear that made him waver at NHK would have rooted itself much deeper and he wouldn't have be able to come back to comps that fast and that well.

But I think that such a choice - to compete or wd after such a collision - shouldn't ever be left again to the athletes alone.

Doctors should be able to do more than just advise.

I recall things like how Yuzu got up when paramedics arrived. In hidsight, we know he wasn't concussed and he later said he had expecienced concussion before and that time didn't felt like that. We know USAteam doctors had kinda cleared him too, based on the kind of examination tha could be done in a few minutes without more sophistcated diagnostic equipment. But what if Yuzuru had been concussed? No one shoud have taken his word (or Yan's) for good and let him get up without at least a first check.

I also recall Yan Han getting up first an getting out of the rink looking kinda ok, till he had to lay down on the floor. He clearly wasn't ok, either, and couldn't even make it as far as the backstage.

Both him, who was skating in front of home crowd, and Yuzuru had their reason, important reasons in their minds, to insist on competing. My admiration for that kind of determination overcomes my worry and all my doubts about their choice being well-advised.

(Tho I fully reserve my right to use this emoji   :Just_Cuz_15:  when talking about Zuzu's brilliant ideas for stitches removal)

But I will blame the ISU for how they let that accident be handled. Compared to what we see in other sports, FS manages potential concussion and other injuries in an extremely poor way (even more so if we think that so many skaters are just teens. And technically Yuzuru himself wasn't an "adult"by Jpn law, either, and Yan was even younger)

Even after that and other (even more)horrifying accidents, ISU still doesn't have a proper concussion protocol in place... or in general a protocol to deal with injuries happening during warm-up/comps that wouldn't majorly rely on skaters themselves making the first call (while also actively discouraging them from calling for time out).

The dominant idea is that skaters gotta soldier on, no matter what. It shouldn't be so. ISU must take responsability: stop leaving all the onus of the choice on the athlete, in matters that require knowledge and coolness they can't have. Have specialized personnel in place instead, sitting next to the referee, and give them power and the onus to call for the comp to paused and athletes to WD, if needed

It's stated somewhere in the ISU regulations, so skaters and paramedics "had" to follow that protocol. The rationale is that skaters might not know how to act and might actually make things worse, so they should just clear the ice as soon as they are told so by the referee AND THEN personnel can get on the ice and help the injured (I guess that they do not trust bystanding skaters not to skate into the paramedics...:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:)

That's the reason why they took that long to enter the rink to help Yuzuru.

well, he did say tht his ankle just wouldn't move :slinkaway:  otherwise I fear he would have skated... and possibly made the injury so bad he would have missed out on OWG

(I guess we should thank the skating gods for preventing him from skating there on half ankle, however terrible it was for him to WD :smiley-angelic001:)

Okay one more word about COC.

Isn't so nice of Yuzuru to make sure he apologized to Yan Han before the free? I mean it was no ones fault but it shows how kind and compassionate he is. He wanted to make sure and do the right thing. Thinking of others even when he's hurt and about to skate. 

1 hour ago, CiONTUw4A said:

This isn't new but Yuzu's voice is cute (please tune up the volume):

So hilarious! Had to turn the volume up to hear Yuzu's voice in the distance but definitely heard it! I bet they were each other's secret fanboy since they met, even long after Javi retired! XD

1 hour ago, Ladysci said:

For those of you willing to spend more money on Yuzu goodies :happy:, there is another way to get the 4 new Lotte gum clear files. You can get them through the Lotte online site, in a campaign that started today and lasts until next Sunday; they are made to order, so everyone who wants them can get them. However, you need to buy a pack of 6 family size bottles of lotte gum (family back is more than 2x as big as a regular one), which costs about 5000 Yen in total  (more or less a few yen); seems expensive, but it is a lot of gum :studsmatta: and may be worth it. You get one set of 4 different files with a purchase. Make sure you click on the Yuzu file pic when you access the online site and then add the gum through that link; if you don't, the free files pack may or may not appear in your cart --- didn't for me at first until I did that---and check before you order. You can view a translation of the site in English and I've been told they accept foreign credit cards. However, the package may be heavy 6 x 143 grams and don't know about overseas shipping.  I will just pay for mine via the convenience store since I'm in Japan.

To get them at Aeon grocery store, I think you need to buy 2 regular size containers for one file; however, this has not shown up at my local store yet. For those of you in Tokyo, Osaka, etc. , are the files available in Aeon yet? Meanwhile, my kids have a supply of gum for a while now :rofl2:!

Thanks for the heads up!

Uuuuuh... I do like Lotte gum tbh >__< i chew a lot of gum bc of anxiety hahaha so it does sound very tempting...

5 hours ago, Ladysci said:

For those of you willing to spend more money on Yuzu goodies :happy:, there is another way to get the 4 new Lotte gum clear files. You can get them through the Lotte online site, in a campaign that started today and lasts until next Sunday; they are made to order, so everyone who wants them can get them. However, you need to buy a pack of 6 family size bottles of lotte gum (family back is more than 2x as big as a regular one), which costs about 5000 Yen in total  (more or less a few yen); seems expensive, but it is a lot of gum :studsmatta: and may be worth it. You get one set of 4 different files with a purchase. Make sure you click on the Yuzu file pic when you access the online site and then add the gum through that link; if you don't, the free files pack may or may not appear in your cart --- didn't for me at first until I did that---and check before you order. You can view a translation of the site in English and I've been told they accept foreign credit cards. However, the package may be heavy 6 x 143 grams and don't know about overseas shipping.  I will just pay for mine via the convenience store since I'm in Japan.

To get them at Aeon grocery store, I think you need to buy 2 regular size containers for one file; however, this has not shown up at my local store yet. For those of you in Tokyo, Osaka, etc. , are the files available in Aeon yet? Meanwhile, my kids have a supply of gum for a while now :rofl2:!

Unfortunately chewing gum is prohibited for import into Singapore. This is the first time I hate this ban (i'm not a chewing gum fan so don't mind it ban... until now... :laughing: ) ETA for clarification: Ban is for import and sales, not on consumption.

I wonder if the package will be caught at immigration... should i risk it... :think:

36 minutes ago, yumeaki said:

Unfortunately chewing gum is prohibited for import into Singapore. This is the first time I hate this ban (i'm not a chewing gum fan so don't mind it ban... until now... :laughing: )

I wonder if the package will be caught at immigration... should i risk it... :think:

If Lotte knows that it is prohibited in Singapore, they might not send it there, it might get returned to sender even if sent, so think it is risky that you might lose money. If you bring it through immigration yourself, don't know if they would find it, but is there a big fine for bringing in prohibited goods? Poor Fanyus have to go through a lot for their " hobby" :tantrum: 

4 minutes ago, Ladysci said:

If Lotte knows that it is prohibited in Singapore, they might not send it there, it might get returned to sender even if sent, so think it is risky that you might lose money. If you bring it through immigration yourself, don't know if they would find it, but is there a big fine for bringing in prohibited goods? Poor Fanyus have to go through a lot for their " hobby" :tantrum: 

Ikr. I see the cost and whoa, that's a huge amount for a gamble. 

Bringing the gum through immigration myself is easier. Officer usually close eyes on that unless you are bringing big carton. In fact I will probably dump the gum first and bring the bottle back (sorry to waste food(?)). Unfortunately, I'm not in Japan. Ah, I really miss going to Japan and planning travel for FS comp. 

2 minutes ago, yumeaki said:

Ikr. I see the cost and whoa, that's a huge amount for a gamble. 

Bringing the gum through immigration myself is easier. Officer usually close eyes on that unless you are bringing big carton. In fact I will probably dump the gum first and bring the bottle back (sorry to waste food(?)). Unfortunately, I'm not in Japan. Ah, I really miss going to Japan and planning travel for FS comp. 

If you have a friend in Japan, get them to buy it, eat all the gum and send you the empty bottle 😂

7 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

Someone on Weibo did a 4Lz comparison for Yuzu and Nathan:

Love this and hate it at the same time. :gaah:  it's so damn frustrating 

1 час назад, bubzsy сказал:

Everyone in the training camp of Team Japan is announcing their programs.. Most of the were recycled from last season.. How about you Yuzu.. when? 

Last year's juniors will have new, Kaori new SP. As for Yuzu he can make new and recycle next season (if he'll aim for it) or... Chopin 5.0? :deal: