General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

If he had not forced himself to skate the free after his collision at 2014 COC, he would not have gone on to win an unprecedented four consecutive Grand Prix Final championships.

As far as I can tell from reading interviews about the incident, rather than force himself, Yuzu wanted to get back out there and skate. And given that since then he's totally ignored doctor's advice and skated on fresh injury at least twice, even if someone had tried to stop him back then, they likely would not have succeeded. 

Still doesn't stop me from feeling such an emotion while watching that particular skate. 

1 hour ago, IceWings said:

Oh gosh. That's awful. I have never seen the entire 6 minute warmup. There was a video of one of the subsequent comps (2014 NHK?) where they showed a quick replay of the collision, and that's where I saw the collision, but it only showed Yuzu and Han Yan colliding and then falling to the ice.

It's definitely an image I can't get out of my mind. Yuzu looked like he'd been run over. They were both going pretty fast when they collided. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

As far as I can tell from reading interviews about the incident, rather than force himself, Yuzu wanted to get back out there and skate. And given that since then he's totally ignored doctor's advice and skated on fresh injury at least twice, even if someone had tried to stop him back then, they likely would not have succeeded. 

Still doesn't stop me from feeling such an emotion while watching that particular skate. 

Yuzu’s decision to skate the free was quite controversial immediately following the event.

As a former athlete, I can tell you that whenever you are injured, no matter how much you may want to go back out to compete, you are forcing yourself to do so in fighting the pain of the injury, fatigue and mental weariness. That is what I meant when I said that Yuzu had to force himself.

When you see him struggling off the ice and falling into Brian’s arms and later not able to stand up without help to vacate the Kiss and Cry, you don’t think that he had forced himself to skate? It took a lot of guts and determination to do what he did.

Ultimately, I was only stating a fact that if Yuzu had not skated the free, he would not have gone on to win four consecutive Grand Prix Final championships.

I had no intention of treading on your emotions.

12 hours ago, Kikooo said:

Hii thank youuu. I was on youtube and suddenly Yuzu's video when he crash with anither skater back in COC 2014 appeared on. I just fell in love right away from how elegance his fall and his hardworking side:crybaby:

Anyway thank you so much for asking. Nice to know youu:heart:

Eeee.... what a first video to come across, I still flinch at the memory of it and how fans watching it live didn't lose hair along with Brian... and if you find threads of people watching it live (say on GS forum) the shock and horror and "why is he DOING this???" is palpable all these years later.

I was lucky, my first sight of him was 2015 Seimei (though being as it was as I was browsing, I can't recall if it was NHK or GPF)

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Ultimately, I was only stating a fact that if Yuzu had not skated the free, he would not have gone on to win four consecutive Grand Prix Final championships.

I had no intention of treading on your emotions.

And when I made my original post, I had no intention of disputing or judging Yuzu's decision to skate that skate. I was only saying that watching him do it makes me feel that way.  

I'm also a former athlete. And in my sport, although you might be in pain before the start of a race, once the starter's gun goes off, you don't feel the pain in that sense of having to force yourself through it - your mind kind of shuts off those pain signals for a bit and your adrenaline and your conditioning carries you through, then you're in a world of hurt once the race ends. So while it's obvious that Yuzu was hurting during that skate, to me it's also obvious that his adrenaline had to have played a huge role in helping him get through it, particularly after he starts falling. And then when he's done, he collapsed because all the pain rushes back in as the adrenaline leaves.

I tend to associate the word 'forcing' with mental unwillingness, not physical effort, especially in relation to sport, so, in this case 'force himself' is not a phrase I'd use. He decided he was going to do it and so he did it.

Do I think he got through that performance mainly by will and adrenaline? Yes. Do I think he in any way resisted the experience and felt like he had to push himself to do it? No. And I'm willing to bet that during the skate itself, he didn't allow the thought of stopping before the music was done to cross his mind even once. 

7 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

It's not the falls in that one - it's the collision during the six-minute warmup at the start and the way he and Han Yan are just lying there dazed and gasping, for several moments, until Han finally staggers to his feet and then it's just Yuzu, flat on his back, with his abdomen laboring up and down trying to force some air into his lungs while you can see his brain going "what just happened?', while it takes the medics another full minute to get out there and help him, that does me in. The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" thing. 

I'm feeling a little "lucky" I was out with friends that day, I missed the collision live and turned tablet on for his skate later, saw him with headband and didn't understood what happened, only heard commentator about collision maybe. I wanted to close my eyes on the falls. I think I only found full videos of warm-up later at home but at least I already knew from the news that he was more or less ok. Next comp at NHK was also painful though mostly mentally, he went to the final by very small margin. But he completely turned tables at GPF and came back so strong, that was one more thing to admire.

8 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It's not the falls in that one - it's the collision during the six-minute warmup at the start and the way he and Han Yan are just lying there dazed and gasping, for several moments, until Han finally staggers to his feet and then it's just Yuzu, flat on his back, with his abdomen laboring up and down trying to force some air into his lungs while you can see his brain going "what just happened?', while it takes the medics another full minute to get out there and help him, that does me in. The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" thing. 

I remember watching it on TV when it was live. So scary. I had never seen something like that happen before. I was amazed they both skated after that!  They were both so brave or stupid depends on how you look at it. I think they were brave and strong to keep going. I totally understand after all their work that summer and wanting to go to GPF.  I feel like Yan Han felt he had to skate because Yuzuru was going to. I wasn’t a fan of Yuzuru's then and I didn't become one till summer of 2017. I think for awhile I was brainwashed to only cheer for the US team lol. Though I was glad Yuzuru won Sochi after hearing about that earthquake and tsunami. I felt he deserved it most. 

I vividly remember the CoC incident because I was watching the Eurosport broadcast on TV, it was midday on a Saturday. The accident looked horribe and I felt very worried about Yuzu, but at the same time I admired his willpower and fighting spirit when he decided to skate. I understood why he wanted to skate. He got to the GPF and won his second gold medal a few weeks later, which was so important for him.

12 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I vividly remember the CoC incident because I was watching the Eurosport broadcast on TV, it was midday on a Saturday. The accident looked horribe and I felt very worried about Yuzu, but at the same time I admired his willpower and fighting spirit when he decided to skate. I understood why he wanted to skate. He got to the GPF and won his second gold medal a few weeks later, which was so important for him.

I was watching it live too, and I remember being glued to the screen, but I just gave up when Yuzu broke down and started to bawl. Horrible memories. 

When I saw the video of the collision on youtube, at first I was just shocked like: did I really just saw that?

And then I started screaming at my laptop, "why is no other skater helping him!"

I think it was obvious that it was not a normal "fall" and they just kept skating around, then needed to clear the ice and then some people came to help Yuzu.

So for me, that was and is until today the worst part of this CoC collision...........that no other skater was helping him, it made me really sad.

4 minutes ago, Faithyu said:

When I saw the video of the collision on youtube, at first I was just shocked like: did I really just saw that?

And then I started screaming at my laptop, "why is no other skater helping him!"

I think it was obvious that it was not a normal "fall" and they just kept skating around, then needed to clear the ice and then some people came to help Yuzu.

So for me, that was and is until today the worst part of this CoC collision...........that no other skater was helping him, it made me really sad.

They couldn’t and they knew it. No people are allowed to help injured skaters on the ice apart from medical staff. Even Brian couldn’t just run out there to check him. 

COC 2014 was a turning point for me. I couldn´t watch Yuzu´s skate. The stream was playing and I heard the music and audience but I just couldn´t watch. After that I made a promise to myself that if Yuzu is brave enough to skate, I will be brave enough to watch. That promise has helped me to get through some bad skates and competitions because I know that my suffering is nothing compered to his own.

I think that COC showed us what kind of athlete and person Yuzu is. When COR 18 injury happened I think that we all were positive that he would skate no matter what. And when NHK 17 happened we knew that the injury was really bad, otherwise he would have skated.

Yuzuru mentioned in the Kenji's Room interviews that Brian was an absolute rock of support, which is nice.... it was a situation I don't think any coach can ever prepare himself for, his injured charge still insisting on going out and doing those quads, and Brian had to watch it all.

11分鐘前, lajoitko說:

COC 2014 was a turning point for me. I couldn´t watch Yuzu´s skate. The stream was playing and I heard the music and audience but I just couldn´t watch. After that I made a promise to myself that if Yuzu is brave enough to skate, I will be brave enough to watch. That promise has helped me to get through some bad skates and competitions because I know that my suffering is nothing compered to his own.

I think that COC showed us what kind of athlete and person Yuzu is. When COR 18 injury happened I think that we all were positive that he would skate no matter what. And when NHK 17 happened we knew that the injury was really bad, otherwise he would have skated.

I am so grateful that we don't have to discuss whether he is withdrawing from competition due to injury this season. (even though we are constantly worrying if he will get injured, especially during that practice :drama:

Please stay healthy in the future too :smiley-angelic001:

20 minutes ago, Fay said:

They couldn’t and they knew it. No people are allowed to help injured skaters on the ice apart from medical staff. Even Brian couldn’t just run out there to check him. 

WHAT:jaw:, they are not allowed to help? Okay, now I'm shocked!

Thats like, a really stupid rule.:thumbsdown: