General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh my gosh, that one? That video always makes me cry, it's the most traumatic video of him...so glad he recovered from that. 

Yeaa. At first like I was so shocked when he fell and bleeding😭 I even got the info from comment section that he has asthma 😭😭😭

I thought that he was cant continue the competition but then he continued the competition even though he got injuries 😭

That sides of him really amazed me a lot😭💖

23 minutes ago, Kikooo said:

I was on youtube and suddenly Yuzu's video when he crash with anither skater back in COC 2014 appeared on

Same story with me... 

Really the most traumatic way to learn about Yuzu:sigh:

5 hours ago, Kikooo said:

Hello I'm new here. I don't know how to interact at first so this is my very first comment hehehe

Welome!! Another one captured by the gravity of Planet Hanyu :dancingpooh:

I hope you find your stay most informative and pleasant :D

If this was a normal season you owould have arrived just in time for media day, 24hTV, program reveal... ahh....

But we have streaming parties coming soon so there's that :D

1 hour ago, Kikooo said:

Hellooo. It's been more than a year but I've just really fallin hard for him this quarantine period😭

Yea I was really nervous and confused at the first time so I just like people posts here hehehe

Anyway thank you so much for the suggest, really help a lot💖

Ah yes, so many of us including myself came to this Planet during quarantine. And it's okay to be nervous! When I first came here I wasn't a member; I must have just lurked around as a guest for more than a month!!! Heh heh heh. :space:

You became his fan after seeing CoC 2014??? How did you survive that? :confused0066: I heard about the incident not long after becoming Yuzuru's fan, but it took me a long time to pick up the courage to actually watch the performance because I knew he fell several times. You're really brave! 

And you're welcome; I'm glad I was able to help! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

13 hours ago, Lunna said:

The main problem is creatively (with positive result at least) and flexibility were never associated with ISU, so no much faith in them here.

I still think the main problem is money tho

I've read this yesterday

among other things, it mentions that Speed Skating had failed to secure some sponsors even before covid. As for FS, if the sponsors for WC2021 are really "only" those listed (there's still a little chance they'll add more, tho for how things look now for FS and the world, not very likely companies are willing to invest on comps that might never happen) then there are very meager times ahead.

No wonder that ISU would rather cross their fingers and pray for comps to happen, rather than cancel them, when there's still a glimmer of a chance some host nation will deem things safe enough. They really need those revenues from sponsors and possibly broadcasts too :/

(why on earth did they had to waste so much on those awards?)

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Another thought occurred to me, one which no one is going to like...but I thought that if worse comes to worst, they could take close-up video of skater's individual elements and judge each one as a standalone, then aggregate the scores to arrive at the standings. Then video the whole program to get an artistic score and add that in afterwards. 

Of course, if they did that Yuzu would win all, because for once they'd be forced to view his elements objectively and in isolation. It would probably shake up the women's standings rather a lot, though....

even for that, some kind of standardized equipment for every recording would be needed to guarantee some kind of common ground for all skaters. Also, things like standard camera angles, since those can change a lot things like the the perception of the size of a jump, make it harder to spot wrong edge etc... not even starting about things to be judged for components, like ice coverage, speed and use of the whole surface. And how many tries does a skater get? Who vigilates about that? Also, the problem stays of how to make sure that judges score in autonomy

(only good thing of judging happening on prerecorded material could be that judges *could* maybe get multiple camera angles +  more time to judge, so they could detail which bullets they assign and submit a written report to justify their components scores. That would probably be the closest thing for the audience to know if judges were applying same standard to all skaters. Not that ISU would ever think about something like this, if virtual judging happened)

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Of course, if they did that Yuzu would win all, because for once they'd be forced to view his elements objectively and in isolation

this feels way too optimistic to me:dontknow:

:Poohgaveup:

2 hours ago, EternalSpin said:

Same story with me... 

Really the most traumatic way to learn about Yuzu:sigh:

2 hours ago, Kikooo said:

Yeaa. At first like I was so shocked when he fell and bleeding😭 I even got the info from comment section that he has asthma 😭😭😭

I thought that he was cant continue the competition but then he continued the competition even though he got injuries 😭

wow, COC2014 as the first Yuzu vid... it's a literal trial by fire:tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:  :bow:

@Kikooo welcome!!!:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

And welcome to all new satellites:tumblr_inline_n2pjcvIX6p1qdlkyg: those of you still lurking too, I know you're there:tumblr_inline_n2pjd7snkh1qdlkyg:

hope you all have fun here and feel safe sharing your voice whenever you feel like doing that <3

3 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

You became his fan after seeing CoC 2014??? How did you survive that? :confused0066: I heard about the incident not long after becoming Yuzuru's fan, but it took me a long time to pick up the courage to actually watch the performance because I knew he fell several times. You're really brave! 

And you're welcome; I'm glad I was able to help! :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

I still haven't. Yet I don't have any problem with blood, I know he has more or less recovered... but I can't watch his serious falls (this one and Cup of Russia 2017).

Discovering Yuzuru Hanyu with such a fall must have been traumatic.

9 hours ago, micaelis said:

I've seen the video of the surprise visit Yuzu made.  For those who haven't one important thing should be kept in mind, and that is that the visit almost didn't take place.  In the car on its way to the school Yuzu was hesitant about visiting it.  He didn't want to awaken bad memories of the students there.  The city was one of the hardest hit by the tsunami.  Out of a population of slightly over a hundred thousand over 3500 lost their lives, meaning there was a good chance that every student there knew someone who had perished.  He decided to go ahead with it and perform the visit.  His identity had been kept secret from the students although the faculty knew.  When he entered the gym/auditorium and the students saw him there was an immediate screaming reaction of joy.  I have a feeling that that instant was when Yuzu realized the positive impact just his presence (as one of the most prominent of those who survived the quake/tsunami) could have.  I really think that that was when he realized that he could become an ambassador of hope for all those who were still seemingly without hope (many still are).  It is his consciously taking up of that role and his subsequent performances that elevated Yuzu above the role of being a mere athlete and I am certain that his performance repeatedly in that role was a critical subtext that made him a recipient of the Peoples Honor Award....

Yuzu has visited schools several times over the years. The school visit you are describing is the one in 2014, when he visited a Junior High school in Ishinomaki. The recent video footage is from his visit in 2018 to a school that just reopened in Naraha. That school is located close to the nuclear power plant that was damaged by the earthquake/tsunami.

For those who are new, here is an excellent summary of his school visits: https://lazuliblade.tumblr.com/post/175536700513/yuzurus-visit-to-naraha-fukushima-732018

His words are so inspiring, I'm surprised they didn't include them in the original broadcast, but I guess it's good that they hold back some footage so they can feed us some nuggets of his goodness during drought periods.

8 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Hi there! Welcome, and you don't need to feel worried. :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: I've not been a member for very long, and I was nervous and unsure when I first joined, but in very little time this place became very comfortable and homely to me! How long have you known Yuzu? 

P.S. Here is a page that will help you get more used to the Planet. I hope this helps! :2thumbsup:

@Kikooo, Welcome, and happy to have you join us!  :wave:

When I first joined the Planet, the glittering glossary did not exist yet, and I was so confused... boob-skirt? :confused:  And someone had posted a video clip of cactus blooming, and I kept waiting for some Yuzu content in that video, but there was only blooming cacti.  :shrug:  LOL.

3 hours ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Ah yes, so many of us including myself came to this Planet during quarantine. And it's okay to be nervous! When I first came here I wasn't a member; I must have just lurked around as a guest for more than a month!!! Heh heh heh. :space:

I lurked for a while before joining too. I think I ended up joining because I was trying to get info about the Sendai parade, or maybe CiONTU.

I think I've only watched the 2014 CoC FS once. I can't stomach watching him fall over and over again, and then Kikuchi-san practically had to carry him off the KnC. :59227c768286a__s:

I'm glad he is being more careful about his body these days. 

15 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I still haven't. Yet I don't have any problem with blood, I know he has more or less recovered... but I can't watch his serious falls (this one and Cup of Russia 2017).

Discovering Yuzuru Hanyu with such a fall must have been traumatic.

It's not the falls in that one - it's the collision during the six-minute warmup at the start and the way he and Han Yan are just lying there dazed and gasping, for several moments, until Han finally staggers to his feet and then it's just Yuzu, flat on his back, with his abdomen laboring up and down trying to force some air into his lungs while you can see his brain going "what just happened?', while it takes the medics another full minute to get out there and help him, that does me in. The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" feeling. 

8 hours ago, Kikooo said:

Wow, what a time to discover Yuzuru.

I was fortunate, my 1st was his 2014 Sochi programs  shown on youtube. It was in the news at the time that he was the 1st Japanese male to win OG Gold. 

Being Asian, I'm interested in any skater from Asia country winning a major tournament in a western dominated sport. My 1st was when Shen/Zhao won pairs in 2010.

My first videos were all the olympics skates. Then I wanted to know more about Yuzu and tried to watch whatever videos on Youtube with his name. However, when the CoC 2014 video appeared, I thought the headband was so weird (Sorry Yuzu :cry: I didn't know what happened then), so I didn't click on that immediately. It took me a long time, after having watched many other videos, for me to click on CoC 2014 out of curiosity :facepalm:.

Then I was like :confused0068::cry:

Right after the video, I decided to support this boy forever. :smiley-angelic001:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It's not the falls in that one - it's the collision during the six-minute warmup at the start and the way he and Han Yan are just lying there dazed and gasping, for several moments, until Han finally staggers to his feet and then it's just Yuzu, flat on his back, with his abdomen laboring up and down trying to force some air into his lungs while you can see his brain going "what just happened?', while it takes the medics another full minute to get out there and help him, that does me in. The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" thing. 

I know how you feel....I saw videos all over Youtube of the collision, and I understood that the medics did what they could and that they needed that one minute to get everyone else off the ice, but still....it was really painful to watch. I just wished at that moment that I could be there to comfort him and whisper things like, "Just breathe. It's okay, Yuzu, we're by your side," even though it wasn't okay.  

But for some the free skate is probably equally as painful, seeing how weakened and pained his body was and how he fell so many times. I remember watching it and just wishing it would end rather than wishing that he would win.

But what happened, happened: it's over now, and there's nothing we can do to change what took place that day. I can only hope and pray that this sort of thing won't happen again, to Yuzuru and to other skaters and people. 

On a happy note, because I hate to end a post this way, Yuzuru still won GPF that year, meaning that he was already on his way to achieving his SUPER SLAM!!! :loveshower: Except for 4CC, unfortunately........:banginghead::59227c768286a__s::consoling2: :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:But he's broken the curse now (and ANOTHER world record)!!!! And also, according to Yuzu, "....like the evening skies during March 11, you can see the light only because there is darkness." I think Yuzuru is right. The accident and many other occasions certainly were dark ones for him and all of us, but even the blackest shadow passes, and it is because all other lights have been blotted out that we can see even the smallest spark. Never give up, everyone! I believe in you all! 

And that turned out longer than expected..:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:...sorry for the long post! Thanks for putting up with me, heh heh heh. :thanks:

42 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" thing. 

It can be debated ad nauseam whether it was a good idea for Yuzu to skate the free in his injured condition; however, the fact that he did qualified him for the Grand Prix Final in Barcelona where he won with a 35 point margin over second-place Javier Fernandez.

If he had not forced himself to skate the free after his collision at 2014 COC, he would not have gone on to win an unprecedented four consecutive Grand Prix Final championships.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It's not the falls in that one - it's the collision during the six-minute warmup at the start and the way he and Han Yan are just lying there dazed and gasping, for several moments, until Han finally staggers to his feet and then it's just Yuzu, flat on his back, with his abdomen laboring up and down trying to force some air into his lungs while you can see his brain going "what just happened?', while it takes the medics another full minute to get out there and help him, that does me in. The falls afterwards are more of a "why is he hurting himself like that now, somebody stop him" thing. 

Oh gosh. That's awful. I have never seen the entire 6 minute warmup. There was a video of one of the subsequent comps (2014 NHK?) where they showed a quick replay of the collision, and that's where I saw the collision, but it only showed Yuzu and Han Yan colliding and then falling to the ice.