General Yuzuru Chat

52 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I wonder how set in stone this is - SCI bridges Oct into Nov - and there are only four other GP events before the final. If Yuzu (and Shoma and Rika) can't compete in two of the final four, they won't qualify for the Final - so would they compete in any at all?  Perhaps - and I am being as optimistic in these uncertain times as I can be - JSF will recognize that and allow the senior skaters to go to SCI (?). Otherwise, what? No international comps until 4CC?

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

I just read this using Google Translate. Can someone confirm whether this includes the GPs? 

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200713/k10012513231000.html

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Not sure why this article is circulating now, but it is an old one reporting on JSF's decision to not sending their athletes to JGP events and some CS events scheduled in September and October, published on Monday this week. They haven't announced anything about senior GP yet. (I am personally not so hopeful about GP this year, though)

Spoiler

3ymDNiV.jpg

2 hours ago, Glory said:

Maybe they will just push back all comps a month or so

Umm... the pandemic is getting worse as we speak.  According to this site

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

There were over 240,000 new cases yesterday, over 70,000 in the US alone. I cannot see any way that they can run international competitions, no matter what the precautions and restrictions, unless a miracle happens. And virtual competitions are lovely for small, unofficial events like the Peggy Fleming... but even an organisation way more efficient, trustworthy, cashed up and tech-savvy than the ISU would not be able to run big official ones.

18 hours ago, TallyT said:

Umm... the pandemic is getting worse as we speak.  Accouding to this site

There were over 240,000 new cases yesterday, over 70,000 in the US alone. I cannot see any way that they can run international competitions, no matter what the precautions and restrictions, unless a miracle happens. And virtual competitions are lovely for small, unofficial events like the Peggy Fleming... but even an organisation way more efficient, trustworthy, cashed up and tech-savvy than the ISU would not be able to run big official ones.

[admin edit: getting too political]

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

Umm... the pandemic is getting worse as we speak.  According to this site

Yes true. Sorry I'm not with it some of the time😁(I've been inside since March. Here in the US some people would think I'm insane to stay at home for longer than a few weeks!!)

So I automatically think that's the way the rest of the world thinks. 

And I keep forgetting that even if they had it without fans there would be a lot of people from every country spreading it around. And travel involved. And athletes and everyone might get sick.  

It would be cool if they could invent a new style of competition where each skater is at their own rink with a camera man!! I would love to watch that!! Or anything really with Yuzuru and other great skaters skating :)

17 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

[admin edit: getting too political]

NO. Stop saying the increase in US cases is merely due to more tests. It's absolutely inaccurate and I'm tired of people spreading misinformation. 

1) People are not tested randomly so there is no reason that the % positive case should remain the same. Lower % doesn't mean the spread is slowing down, it means the test is now open to more people and thus include population less at risk (in other words, when you have limited tests avalaible, you test the most suspect cases first so the % will be higher).

2) Hospitalization rates are also on the rise in several states. These are basically independent from testing, proving that it's not just the number of tests.

3) Death rates have also started to increase in several states in the past 2 weeks. Look at Texas. Look at Florida.

Sorry for the rant but I find this sort of denial insulting for the health care professionals who are still working crazy shifts and risking their lives with improper ppe on a daily basis. Now I'm going to take a walk to calm down.

7 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Not sure why this article is circulating now, but it is an old one reporting on JSF's decision to not sending their athletes to JGP events and some CS events scheduled in September and October, published on Monday this week. They haven't announced anything about senior GP yet. (I am personally not so hopeful about GP this year, though)

Hide contents

3ymDNiV.jpg

thank you @sweetwater for clarifying <3

Though, looking at how things are going in the USA, I woulnd't be surprised if GP just didn't happen. Or if at least it won't have the usual format. I wonder when USFSA will accept that they cannot possibly hold an international comp in 3 months, no matter how good things might be in Las Vegas...(are they? I've mostly heard about neighboring California pedalling back on reopenings, but checking Nevada it doesn't seem they ever reached a plateau, either)

:offtopic2:

Spoiler

The discourse about "increase of tests"-->"that's why we have more positive", while partially true, reminds me of the same narrative by those who wanted at all cost make it look as if Lombardy (epicenter of covid in Italy) was the first in the class among all 20 regions.

Back in May (source it's in italian but I guess the graphs are easy to understand even without google tranlaste), when many regions were counting new daily cases in dozens(and some even below that), Lombardy still counted them in several hundreths. "But, look, we're testing more than any other region!" some politician boasted proudly.

It was true.

But looking at new daily positive test/daily tests, most of the other regions had very low percentages while Lombardy still had, on average, the highest percentage.

It meant that, while Lombardia did more test in absolute terms, other regions kept searching A LOT more for new positive cases. The one region that ought to actively search for the many, many "submerged" cases was still lagging behind.

Moreover, a big percentage of their tests were not the "We're searching for new cases" type of tests but "We wanted to know if this person, who was positive, is finally virus-free and can leave their home", so their numbers weren't as reassuring as they could look at first (since they had many more positive people, they also run more test to confirm negativization, compared to regions that never had that many cases to begin with)

back to the present: it might look that USA is being like Lombardia in their narratives, but in fact it's worse.

In Lombardia, at some point, new daily cases DID stabilize and then DID drop despite number of new tests still increasing (second graph in the source above)

Right now, they DO manage to keep their daily positive tests/total test below 1%. It means they are searching and finding many of those milder and asymphtomatic cases that before went undetected, that they are testing all contacts of a positive case (in March, most of the times they couldn't afford to test people who didn't require hospitalization) and that they probably screen their healthcare workers properly, too.

The curve of total cases now is in a clear plateau (crossing everything that we stick to that plateau), despite the fact than now asymptomatic cases are much more likely to get "caught" on the radar than in all the past months

In USA all of this is yet to come

an aside, I also wish USA stopped conflating together all the results from tests with very different specificity and sensitivity. Sure, they aren't the only Country doing this, far from it, and sure, they themselves do have the disaggregated data for their own analyses, but still...

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

thank you @sweetwater for clarifying <3

Though, looking at how things are going in the USA, I woulnd't be surprised if GP just didn't happen. Or if at least it won't have the usual format. I wonder when USFSA will accept that they cannot possibly hold an international comp in 3 months, no matter how good things might be in Las Vegas...(are they? I've mostly heard about neighboring California pedalling back on reopenings, but checking Nevada it doesn't seem they ever reached a plateau, either)

:offtopic2:

Hide contents

The discourse about "increase of tests"-->"that's why we have more positive", while partially true, reminds me of the same narrative by those who wanted at all cost make it look as if Lombardy (epicenter of covid in Italy) was the first in the class among all 20 regions.

Back in May (source it's in italian but I guess the graphs are easy to understand even without google tranlaste), when many regions were counting new daily cases in dozens(and some even below that), Lombardy still counted them in several hundreths. "But, look, we're testing more than any other region!" some politician boasted proudly.

It was true.

But looking at new daily positive test/daily tests, most of the other regions had very low percentages while Lombardy still had, on average, the highest percentage.

It meant that, while Lombardia did more test in absolute terms, other regions kept searching A LOT more for new positive cases. The one region that ought to actively search for the many, many "submerged" cases was still lagging behind.

Moreover, a big percentage of their tests were not the "We're searching for new cases" type of tests but "We wanted to know if this person, who was positive, is finally virus-free and can leave their home", so their numbers weren't as reassuring as they could look at first (since they had many more positive people, they also run more test to confirm negativization, compared to regions that never had that many cases to begin with)

back to the present: it might look that USA is being like Lombardia in their narratives, but in fact it's worse.

In Lombardia, at some point, new daily cases DID stabilize and then DID drop despite number of new tests still increasing (second graph in the source above)

Right now, they DO manage to keep their daily positive tests/total test below 1%. It means they are searching and finding many of those milder and asymphtomatic cases that before went undetected, that they are testing all contacts of a positive case (in March, most of the times they couldn't afford to test people who didn't require hospitalization) and that they probably screen their healthcare workers properly, too.

The curve of total cases now is in a clear plateau (crossing everything that we stick to that plateau), despite the fact than now asymptomatic cases are much more likely to get "caught" on the radar than in all the past months

In USA all of this is yet to come

an aside, I also wish USA stopped conflating together all the results from tests with very different specificity and sensitivity. Sure, they aren't the only Country doing this, far from it, and sure, they themselves do have the disaggregated data for their own analyses, but still...

Nevada is doing only marginally better than other states in the "red zone".  Travel restrictions currently vary state to state but, for instance, if I were to travel to New Mexico from Arizona, I'd have to quarantine for 14 days.  Nevada at least has a mask mandate (AZ does not!). We need a federal mask mandate. It is insane that we do not.

2 часа назад, LadyLou сказал:

Though, looking at how things are going in the USA, I woulnd't be surprised if GP just didn't happen.

Yes, there's less and less hope considering US is one of the strongest feds. 

Спойлер

I agree that number of tests is not fully representative cuz it's not the same as number of people tested. If one tests positive, likely that person will be tested several times until it's negative. Medics are tested regularly, politics and maybe some other professions.