General Yuzuru Chat

1 час назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Thank you!

Do you think this gift was meant as a pun between carp and love in Japanese, to wish him love?

If you google koi symbolism there's much more to it. It can be wish of luck, happiness, symbol of strength. It's also a symbol of Children's day (or more like boy's day) in Japan. I'm not an expert, so don't want to copy/paste wiki or other articles, but it's quite interesting.

14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Ugh. So many unknowns and variables for this situation... without getting into the politics of it, let me just say that I wonder about what Beijing 2022 will look like. China also needs to be in control of the virus in order to host. 

Either way, if both Tokyo and Beijing get cancelled, it might be the end for the Olympics as we know it. I hope not.

Or we could just have a dream, impractical solution: Tokyo 2022 Winter Games 

3 hours ago, memae said:

Or we could just have a dream, impractical solution: Tokyo 2022 Winter Games 

I think Japanese citizens would have a stroke if they had to go through 2 Olympics in 1 year, having to deal with all the tourists I mean :whiteflag:

Speaking to some of them last year while I was there, you could already see most of them were dreading the Olympics 2020.

1 minute ago, Whoopiewoop said:

I think Japanese citizens would have a stroke if they had to go through 2 Olympics in 1 year, having to deal with all the tourists I mean :whiteflag:

Speaking to some of them last year while I was there, you could already see most of them were dreading the Olympics 2020.

I mean let's just scrap the summer stuff and combine them in the worst, most unfair compromise ever. 

I was, of course, very much joking about it and all but I do think, the way things are at the moment - politically and socially - I wouldn't be surprised if some countries or individual athletes boycott the Beijing games if they go ahead. I think they're bound to be controversial - maybe because they don't happen at all, maybe because they do happen but people have things to say and stances to make about it.  (This is just based on my observations of current sentiment in media as well as what I hear from others from day to day - I'm not trying to make any political comment about China here). 

23 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Ugh. So many unknowns and variables for this situation... without getting into the politics of it, let me just say that I wonder about what Beijing 2022 will look like. China also needs to be in control of the virus in order to host. 

Either way, if both Tokyo and Beijing get cancelled, it might be the end for the Olympics as we know it. I hope not.

Why do you think it's the end? The Olympics was also cancelled during the war and then restarted. People will need something to celebrate when this virus is under control (if not possible in a couple of years, I would imagine in 10 years we might reach some degree of immunization).

Of course, that means the current senior skaters might have no chance at the Olys, but there will be others.

OTOH, not seeing Yuzu at any competition again will be tragic.

29 minutes ago, vd_turnan said:

Why do you think it's the end? The Olympics was also cancelled during the was and then restarted. People will need something to celebrate when this virus is under control (if not possible in a couple of years, I would imagine in 10 years we might reach some degree of imunization).

Of course, that means the current senior skaters might have no chance at the Olys, but there will be others.

OTOH, not seeing Yuzu at any competition again will be tragic.

During the war years, the Olympics weren't the massive financial mess they are now. I don't know if you were aware, but the last several Olympics have had a hard time finding enough cities willing to bid on hosting because it involves such a huge financial commitment with no guarantee of a return on investment. Tokyo 2020 is already losing millions if not billions over the postponement. The only chance to recoup is if the Games do get held next year. 

I'm concerned that if two games get cancelled in a row, the whole thing will go bankrupt and that will be the end.

58 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

During the war years, the Olympics weren't the massive financial mess they are now. I don't know if you were aware, but the last several Olympics have had a hard time finding enough cities willing to bid on hosting because it involves such a huge financial commitment with no guarantee of a return on investment. Tokyo 2020 is already losing millions if not billions over the postponement. The only chance to recoup is if the Games do get held next year. 

I'm concerned that if two games get cancelled in a row, the whole thing will go bankrupt and that will be the end.

That's because of the organizers big egos. They want to show off to the world.

Maybe we can finally go back to having the Olympics be a celebration of sports, and not an event where nations brag to each other and politic/buy the number of medals they win.

And maybe they can finally discover a way of reusing the facilities they build for the Olympics and not abandon them immediately after.

They need money for that also, but not that much and long term they could get some more back (besides the revenues from tickets, TV right and tourism).

52 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not all OLY games lose money - the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City turned a profit.  (Kudos to Mitt Romney for part of that and, yes, I wish he was the president right now). So many of the cities hosting think they have to have all brand new venues and that's one area where they could save.  And so many of those venues are never used again. Perhaps slimming down and using existing venues would help.  Or even choosing a city per continent to host and re-host every five cycles, so their infrastructure costs were kept way down.  City/country egos just over-promise on spectacle when the emphasis should be on sport.  I think they must be run in a more fiscally sensible manner or they will devolve.

The fate of the Olympics?  First off,  the comment one person made about the financial aspects of the Olympics was correct.  The postwar (WWII) Olympics have had increasing costs and cities have been increasingly reluctant to commit.  As it was, when looking for a host for the 2024 summer games several cities withdrew from the competition leaving only Paris and Los Angeles remaining.  Seeing the writing on the wall the Olympic committee decided to choose both, Paris for 24 (its other Olympics were in 1924) and Los Angeles (its 3rd time as host) for 28.  Significantly the 1984 LA games actually turned a profit, the only one I know of to do so.  For LA most of the infrastructure is in place so it will not have to engage in some big building boom (essentially just the Olympic Village and venues for some of the many recently added events).  It has several large stadiums to hold some of the more exotic field events but with two large universities in the area (UCLA and USC) it has their venues that it can use.

We should, however, look at the likelihood that by the end of the year or early next year a vaccine will become available.  Infrastructure to produce the vaccine will be widespread so its rapid production and implementation will be possible.  Economies will be recovering by then although the legal shenanigans involving bankruptcies and liability will become a major industry in a number of them.  I doubt that Tokyo will be cancelled.  It was ready to do the games this year so it can easily remain ready.  Significantly, since the last three of the last four major pandemic threats have all originated in China and with China being very adversely effected both economically and politically by its handling of the situation, the next time a virus threat originates there we can assume they will be more than forthcoming in getting out the news.  China's withholding of pertinent information on the current virus along with its pitiful attempt to blame it on others and portray itself in heroic terms is not gaining any traction outside of China.  We should not rule out, however, that political events involving Chinese treatment of Moslems in its southwest and its cancelling of its obligations regarding Hong Kong under the treaty it signed to make Hong Kong part of it might lead to a possible boycott by Western powers.  It is unlikely but it is nonetheless a possibility.  Only time will tell. 

I think, however, our concerns should be about the forthcoming skating season, whether it will be delayed, modified, or just plain cancelled.  Canada has opened its borders to a select number of nations (if my information is correct) although its borders with the US remain sealed tight.  If and when Japan is on the approved list it will be possible then, I think, for Yuzu to make the journey to Toronto.  TCC is operating now so once Yuzu gets there it will be all systems go.  I imagine Yuzu has done everything he needs to in preparing for getting back to the ice, using the rink in Sendai to keep himself in shape, choosing the music for this next season's programs, laying out ideas for costumes and such (don't forget, he edits his own music and has done so for some time).  I also have a feeling that he has probably finished much of the work he needs to do to earn his university degree.  He does not strike me as a person who likes to waste time.  In any case we have only one option, and that is to bear with the situation as events unfold.  At least we know that Yuzu is healthy and has access to ice.