General Yuzuru Chat

12 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I’m just guessing, but I think the drawing is a symbolization of “koigatarinai” which means “I don’t have enough love”.

Well I used autotranslate to scroll through the thread there, and quite a few of the Japanese replies are having fun mentioning the giant stuffed golden carp that was tossed to Yuzu at CoR...it was a pretty big carp, but I guess not big enough...:yuzushrug:

13 hours ago, Umebachi said:

... I look forward to seeing what new styles Yuzu will bring into his skating in the coming seasons following the covid inter-regnum.  I am sure he will continue to push the boundaries: after "conquering" the Nessie,  hopefully he will delve into different types of music and expression.  

After Nessie, the siren song will be quints. After all, it's only 1/2 rotation more! :10814716:

@Henni147, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt and the pain you are going through. Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way for your grandfather and friend to recover soon.

@Sombreuil, I am sorry to hear about your loss as well. 

I hope for better times for you both. :snonegai:

@Ewa, welcome and thank you for sharing your journey to the Planet. I love hearing stories about how non-skating fans discover Yuzu. He has such an amazing gravitational pull. 

This makes me emotional, Japanese gymnast, Asuka Teramoto, chose "Origin" as music piece for her last program in the floor routine.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/07/15/kiji/20200715s00067000212000c.html

Asuka tore her Achilles' tendon in February but has been training for the competitions of this season and also aiming for Tokyo Olympics. She is a two time Olympian and two time national champion. She says she wants to end her competitive career with music of Origin and will save the program for the next season because she wants to show it at the very end. Good luck, Asuka! (I think I am going to cry when I see it because I have been watching her since she was very very young :smiley-sad021:)

By the way, I've read that when Kanako Murakami was learning gymnastics in her childhood, Asuka was one of her teammates. Small world!

*peeks at the general thread pretty quickly*

Well, I said Yuzuru needed romantic love way before anyone else. *scoffs* 

No, jk, but seriously, I do agree that love enriches an Artist's creativity and expression, I think Yuzuru always had the capability and the desire to love and be loved (and thus skated wonderful, full of love programs) but maybe now it would be a good time to take some time to actively pursue real life koi, because 25 years alone is hard. I've barely survived 20.

15 hours ago, Ewa said:

If I may add something to that, and at the same time introduce myself a bit, because it's my first post here.  Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for the amazing job you do here <3 
I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and a science communicator as well. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such a fantastic thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 
(My article is here, if you'd like to take a look, but my apologies - it is in Polish. However, I believe that the most important thing in it, not to mention the most beautiful, is the photo of  the GOAT himself and a few words about him :) https://genetyka.bio/lod-chlod-i-astma/)

Welcome to the best and craziest place 😁 

13 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

Sending you hugs and positive energy. Thank you for taking the time to share the Apollo/Yuzu analogy. That wonder boy is really helping in these strange and dire times we are living right now.

@Henni147, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I hope your grandfather and your friend get well soon. Hope you take care of yourself too.

It was intriguing to read about the similarities between Apollo and Yuzu. I didn't know that Apollo was the guardian of the crops as well. This might have already been shared last year, but the rice paddy art was a project to revitalize the area in which Yuzu happily involved by letting them use his image. The area was hit heavily by a typhoon last autumn, but the rice paddy art somehow miraculously stayed intact, and the rice cropped from the art later served as thank-you gifts for people made donations to help the area recover from the disaster. They had a plan to make another art this year, depicting Yuzu and phoenix as symbols of overcoming hardship, although they decided to carry the plan into next year due to the spread of the virus. So Yuzu really has been and will be helping the farmers a bit, although indirectly.:)

As to ”koi,” I don't believe that someone who can empathize with others so easily and deeply as Yuzu hasn't experienced romantic love, but who am I to disagree with Tsuzuki sensei? I didn't even notice his comment about koi when I read this article first myself :68468287: since its focus was on 4A. (The Japanese article is devoting much more space to describe how Tsuzuki sensei looked happy while analyzing Yuzu's 4A attempt and the part it mentioned the romantic love is only a few lines at the end of two-pages text.)

ETA: Fixed a grammatical error

I am sorry for the losses. Hang in there.

About Yuzu and love, as a lit major I dont think experiencing love necessarilly enriches artistic expression. After all, there are so many important diverse life experiences that artist can draw upon. However, I do think that theme of love in art is universally understandable and engaging for everyone. Id say that Yuzus programs lately give intellectual vibe more than something obviously depicting feeling, at least his copetitive ones. Success of Masquarade seems to be partly derived from the fact that it is obviously driven by feeling and passion. People in general respond to that. It would be interesting to see mature Yuzus take on romantic love or passion. Carmen, here we come:graucho:

31 minutes ago, jesenjin said:

I am sorry for the losses. Hang in there.

About Yuzu and love, as a lit major I dont think experiencing love necessarilly enriches artistic expression. After all, there are so many important diverse life experiences that artist can draw upon. However, I do think that theme of love in art is universally understandable and engaging for everyone. Id say that Yuzus programs lately give intellectual vibe more than something obviously depicting feeling, at least his copetitive ones. Success of Masquarade seems to be partly derived from the fact that it is obviously driven by feeling and passion. People in general respond to that. It would be interesting to see mature Yuzus take on romantic love or passion. Carmen, here we come:graucho:

I agree with you that there are many diverse life experiences outside of romance - romance is just but one of the many experiences humans have in life.

And he’s already had programmes with a theme of romance! He skated to two different versions of R&J and also POTO (although I’m not sure - was he depicting the Phantom, or Christine more?) 

Tsuzuki-sensei is just being an Asian grandparent type. Yuzu is now 25 and turning 26 in less than 5 months, established and makes good money. That means it's time for a wife! or a bride, if we want to be poetic like Mikhail Kolyada :laughing:. So he'll start to hint.

It goes like this: "Oh Yuzu.....I'm really feeling my many many years today.....you know what would make me so happy before I die.....to see you happily settled down with your own family.....my final wish....."

But he isn't dying at all. This is so that Tsuzuki-sensei can get a new baby Hanyu to teach 2A out of a spread eagle to. :biggrin:

With regards to love - romantic love is nice if it happens to you, but by no means necessary. Celibate, aromantic, and asexual people may never seek out intimate or romantic relationships but they still enjoy a full and rich spectrum of human emotions and experiences.

Yuzu will go after the life he wants when he wants to do it, like always, and nobody needs to know about it, not even Tsuzuki-sensei. :wink_star:

@Henni147 my heart hurts for you. This pandemic is bringing so much pain to so many people. I pray that your grandfather and friend will recover and thrive. 

You are such a bright light on the Planet. Thank you for all your lovely, creative posts, including the Apollo analogy. For Americans, of course, Apollo has the additional significance of being the series of spaceflights that included the moon landings. 

I also noticed some time ago that the musical score for this inspiring fan video is "Apollo's Triumph" by audiomachine. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

I agree with you that there are many diverse life experiences outside of romance - romance is just but one of the many experiences humans have in life.

And he’s already had programmes with a theme of romance! He skated to two different versions of R&J and also POTO (although I’m not sure - was he depicting the Phantom, or Christine more?) 

Oh sure, thats why I said lately. His musings on love have to be at least a little different now, considering our perception matures with us and it would be interesting to see. He is by no means obligated, of course. In regards to POTO, I always viewed it at least half-intellectual, considering the theme is unhealthy love. Something like that movie Gone girl, romance and psychological thriller. On another note, do you think skaters who skate on larger lobes generally have better skating skills? Ive noticed it with Yuzu, Patrick and Kaori for example... Even they turns are very noticable and clear. I cant tell which turn it is without slow motion, but they take time with them, make them rythmic and elegant, and its very satisfying to watch.