General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

I was reading a paragraph about the twelve Olympian Gods of the Greek mythology, when I suddenly realized how familiar the description of Apollo was... Here is a shortlist of the most striking details:

• Apollo is one of the twelve Olympian deities and the son of Zeus and Leto. He has a sister named Artemis.
  • The month of his birth varies among different cultures, but there is consensus that he was born on the seventh day of the month.
  • Apollo is seen as the most beautiful god and the ideal of kouros, the beardless, athletic youth. He is the most beloved and popular of all Olympian gods.
  • He is the god of archery and sport, music and dance, poetry and philosophy, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the sun and light.
  • He is the protector of the young leading them to adulthood, such as the protector of herds, crops and fields.
  • Apollo is the god of truth and foreseeing, his oracles were consulted before setting laws in a city.
  • The invention of string-music and archery is credited to Apollo, the latter also to his sister Artemis.
  • Apollo is the patron of sport and the laurel is his tree, the symbol of triumph and victory. He used his powers of eternal youth and immortality to render the laurel tree evergreen.
  • During the winter months he rides on the back of a swan to the land of the Hyperboreans. The absence of warmth in winter is due to his departure.
  • His most common and famous symbols are the lyre, bow and arrow, the swan, the python and the laurel wreath.

I can’t help, but the similarities with a certain Olympic hero are just too funny...

EDIT: I'd like to note that Apollo was not a throughout positive deity. He could bring diseases to the people and his actions in the Trojan War were anything but laudable. I also wouldn't dare to put Yuzu on par with a god. Yuzu is Yuzu, a very talented, hard-working athlete and wonderful human being.

ln9I4Rb.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ig0QxXh (edited myself)

Henni, I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope things will get better for you and your family. I’m glad that the similarities you found between Yuzuru and Apollo made you smile, and I hope you can find comfort. 

3 hours ago, Pammi said:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love"  :cri:  Waaaaaaa!! Yuzu deserves the joy (and pain - there is no Spring without Winter) of romantic love! I'm such a sap.....

I know the details of Yuzuru's private life is none of my business, and this is probably not universally true, but I do think there might be some validity to the view that without experiencing the depth of shared emotion characteristic of romantic love, an artist could be somewhat limited in the full expression of the range of human emotion (please discuss lol).  Maybe Yuzuru will have even more to give his adoring fans and supporters through his performances if/when he takes the risk of falling in love......we know how Yuzuru hates to be constrained by limits/limitations, and strives to go beyond them!

Anything for the benefit of his skating of course!

It will be interesting to see what Tsuzuki and Naoko Utsunomiya say about the matter in due course!

Note: this is a lighthearted musing only; I am certainly not suggesting what Yuzuru should or shouldn't do :)

Regarding the romantic love thing, I do agree with you that romantic love can be an emotion an artist expresses! For example, there are countless pieces of music out there written regarding the joy and pain of romantic love. We all know Yuzu is in love with the ice, but loving a human and loving the ice are very different things in my opinion!

But since Yuzu is very private about his personal life (as he has every right to be), I think we can’t just assume he’s never dated/been in a relationship? And even if he hasn’t, there’s a chance he might have had crushes in the past or even present too. 

Of course I am not saying Yuzu should or should not experience romantic love (that’s none of my business) but I just feel I can’t assume anything about his romantic life since he doesn’t reveal anything about it heh. 

17 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Guys, it was just a cliffhanger until next article...

One HECK of a one! look at us all scratching our heads. 

Anyway, you'd have to be blind not to see that Yuzu is aflame with love. It practically blazes out of him every time he skates a program. Maybe it's not the intimate love of a conventional relationship between two people, but what's not romantic about it? 

@Henni147 , I'm truly wrenched by what has happened, but I pray that your friend and grandfather will recover. I'm glad that you've found something that has made you smile, and I send my best wishes and hopes to you! Thank you for sharing this observation with us, it's very interesting and informative, and I think it's made many others of us smile too! :8232307:

....trying in vain to remember/come up with something funny or heartwarming to cheer your spirits, but :59227c768286a__s: Sorry!!! 

1 hour ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I don't know what this is about. I just think it's adorable.

My Japanese is just good enough that I think I can guess that the artist is making a pun. 'koi' means 'carp', but it also means 'love', and the first word is 'tarinai' - 'not enough'. So it says 'carp (love?) is not enough'. 

It also kind of plays off 'Haru yo Koi', at least to my English-speaking ear. 

I wonder if this is relating to Coach Tsuzuki's comment. 

Sorry for my amateur thinking out loud here. Feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track.

9 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love" ----> Ice-chan begs to differ!

I mean yes, she's the tsundere-est of tsunderes, the cruelest of cruel angels, but there isn't a shadow of a doubt that Yuzu loves her dearly. Just go look at the hydroblade in Haru Yo Koi. 

ice-chan plays coy, but she loves him back. 

Joking apart, and without wanting to speculate about Yuzu's private life, I can't help but wonder what Coach Tsuzuki meant.  I can think of a few interpretations, the most obvious being that he's saying Yuzu has never fallen 'in love'. 

Yes, it could have many interpretations.

I don't think he lacks romantic love to have a full range of expressions as says @Pammi, in the sense of Marius Petipa asking Mathilda Kshessinska if she had already felt love we could see it at Nice in 2012, and he was so young.

But since a few months I have felt on him sometimes expressions which I interpreted as him "lacking something" (but I am so bad at interpreting people's expressions, though his are always so open and varied), it was particularly visible in the CBC interview where it made him look older during a moment. May Mr Tsuzuki mean that, after having quietly decided not to love before 25 (which would then have been such a foresight, and a great knowledge of himself, according to @Henni147's parallel with Apollo), then decided to hold on one more Olympic cycle, he is now experiencing a lack of a love and life companion?

He didn't know him only as a child : if I understand well, he coached him also after the Great Earthquake.

But saying his former pupil is lacking romantic love, may be akin to opening Pandora's box, to continue with Greek mythology, given the number of fanyus who would love to be this love. :0011:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

My Japanese is just good enough that I think I can guess that the artist is making a pun. 'koi' means 'carp', but it also means 'love', and the first word is 'tarinai' - 'not enough'. So it says 'carp (love?) is not enough'. 

It also kind of plays off 'Haru yo Koi', at least to my English-speaking ear. 

I wonder if this is relating to Coach Tsuzuki's comment. 

Sorry for my amateur thinking out loud here. Feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track.

I’m just guessing, but I think the drawing is a symbolization of “koigatarinai” which means “I don’t have enough love”.

8 hours ago, Pammi said:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love"  :cri:  Waaaaaaa!! Yuzu deserves the joy (and pain - there is no Spring without Winter) of romantic love! I'm such a sap.....

I know the details of Yuzuru's private life is none of my business, and this is probably not universally true, but I do think there might be some validity to the view that without experiencing the depth of shared emotion characteristic of romantic love, an artist could be somewhat limited in the full expression of the range of human emotion (please discuss lol).  Maybe Yuzuru will have even more to give his adoring fans and supporters through his performances if/when he takes the risk of falling in love......we know how Yuzuru hates to be constrained by limits/limitations, and strives to go beyond them!

Anything for the benefit of his skating of course!

It will be interesting to see what Tsuzuki and Naoko Utsunomiya say about the matter in due course!

Note: this is a lighthearted musing only; I am certainly not suggesting what Yuzuru should or shouldn't do :)

I mean... idk, that RJ at Worlds 2012 was pretty convincing. 

Yuzu's dedication to the sport leaves very little room for much.  He lives and breathes figureskating.  He, himself, describes his life as monastic, ascetic.  Perhaps to continue refining his skills, to achieve his goals requires great sacrifice as he has alluded in the past.

Elite athletes, let alone the GOAT of a sport...it must be a very lonely hard path to the top of the mountain

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Joking apart, and without wanting to speculate about Yuzu's private life, I can't help but wonder what Coach Tsuzuki meant.  I can think of a few interpretations, the most obvious being that he's saying Yuzu has never fallen 'in love'. 

It also might be a comment about age and wisdom in a way. Not many people have experienced true, profound romantic love by the age of 25. And even if they have, there's something to be experienced in romantic love as it grows with time.