General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, LadyLou said:

not only STEM satellites, I see so many people whose fields aren't exactly (or even remotely) STEM that are always ready to explain and just, you know, share their knowledge. I think about things like the lesson by @cvdnce, about photographers, all the lovely artists, the linguists on this Planet that always give so many precious insights whenever we talk about Zuzu's english improvements, about our Japanese satellites that always add further cultural context and draw attention to little things that could go undetected to the rest of us...... There's always this will to explain(and also research for)the "why" behind an opinion, a statement.

:iagree:

Yuzu has boosted the level of artistic and cerebral interest in the sport to new heights, which has helped to attract so many non-FS fans to watch him.  For me, it's the complexity of the intellectual and emotional interaction that makes his performance so appealing and engaging.  I loved Torvill and Dean but disappointed in not finding the same level of artistic interpretation among the single skaters (I was totally turned off by the cheerleader-like performances of many of skaters of 1990s).  Plu and Johnny Weir did start to bend back my interest in the sport, but didn't stimulate my intellectual curiosity.  Yuzu's mathematical and strategic mind as well as his self-awareness and social-mindedness have added to the overall appeal.    It's telling that skaters like Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton don't appreciate Yuzu's aesthetics - probably due to cultural imprinting about what is "cool" = square and masculine.  Tastes are formed early and difficult to change.  

I look forward to seeing what new styles Yuzu will bring into his skating in the coming seasons following the covid inter-regnum.  I am sure he will continue to push the boundaries: after "conquering" the Nessie,  hopefully he will delve into different types of music and expression.  

If I may add something to that, and at the same time introduce myself a bit, because it's my first post here.  Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for the amazing job you do here <3 
I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and a science communicator as well. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such a fantastic thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 
(My article is here, if you'd like to take a look, but my apologies - it is in Polish. However, I believe that the most important thing in it, not to mention the most beautiful, is the photo of  the GOAT himself and a few words about him :) https://genetyka.bio/lod-chlod-i-astma/)

1 minute ago, Ewa said:

If I may add something to that, and at the same time introduce myself a bit, because it's my first post here.  Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for the amazing job you do here <3 
I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and science communicator. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and  gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such an amazing thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 
(My article is here, if you'd like to take a look, but my apologies - it is in Polish. However, I believe that the most important thing in it, not to mention the most beautiful, is the photo of  the GOAT himself and a few words about him :) https://genetyka.bio/lod-chlod-i-astma/)

Fellow epigenetics scientist here! :hugs:

Welcome to our crazy planet!

25 minutes ago, Ewa said:

I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and a science communicator as well. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such a fantastic thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 

Welcome, Ewa!! Hope you like it here <3 It’s super cool that you were working and ended up finding the treasure that is Yuzu! 

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Welcome, Ewa!! Hope you like it here <3 It’s super cool that you were working and ended up finding the treasure that is Yuzu! 

Thank you so much @FlyingCamel <3  I'm so happy to be here.
Yes, it was a fantastic journey for me, at the end I was (and still am :) ) enthralled by his charm, talent and beauty.

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

I was reading a paragraph about the twelve Olympian Gods of the Greek mythology, when I suddenly realized how familiar the description of Apollo was... Here is a shortlist of the most striking details:

• Apollo is one of the twelve Olympian deities and the son of Zeus and Leto. He has a sister named Artemis.
  • The month of his birth varies among different cultures, but there is consensus that he was born on the seventh day of the month.
  • Apollo is seen as the most beautiful god and the ideal of kouros, the beardless, athletic youth. He is the most beloved and popular of all Olympian gods.
  • He is the god of archery and sport, music and dance, poetry and philosophy, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the sun and light.
  • He is the protector of the young leading them to adulthood, such as the protector of herds, crops and fields.
  • Apollo is the god of truth and foreseeing, his oracles were consulted before setting laws in a city.
  • The invention of string-music and archery is credited to Apollo, the latter also to his sister Artemis.
  • Apollo is the patron of sport and the laurel is his tree, the symbol of triumph and victory. He used his powers of eternal youth and immortality to render the laurel tree evergreen.
  • During the winter months he rides on the back of a swan to the land of the Hyperboreans. The absence of warmth in winter is due to his departure.
  • His most common and famous symbols are the lyre, bow and arrow, the swan, the python and the laurel wreath.

I can’t help, but the similarities with a certain Olympic hero are just too funny...

EDIT: I'd like to note that Apollo was not a throughout positive deity. He could bring diseases to the people and his actions in the Trojan War were anything but laudable. I also wouldn't dare to put Yuzu on par with a god. Yuzu is Yuzu, a very talented, hard-working athlete and wonderful human being.

ln9I4Rb.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ig0QxXh (edited myself)

@Henni147 I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. Condolences for your aunt and sending all the best wishes for your grandad and friend to get better

Thank you for sharing something that made you smile despite everything, it's even more precious <3 And yes, Yuzu makes for a very lovely Apollo! And it looks like the Universe agreed with you: it gave us those NHK pics so we could finally see the truth!:tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

@Ewa welcome to the Planet!

I'll make full use of the skills of google tranlation to read your article, the subject is very interesting (not only because of Yuzu). And you choose a gorgeous pic:biggrin:

7 hours ago, LadyLou said:

people of science.

This is actually a much better term. You do not have to be a scientist to have a scientific mind. Some of the most observant and analytical people out there are artists, performers, and writers, for example. Or our own dear boy...if he's not a scientist of skating, I don't know who would be. 

15 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

@Henni147 I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time. Condolences for your aunt and sending all the best wishes for your grandad and friend to get better

Thank you for sharing something that made you smile despite everything, it's even more precious <3 And yes, Yuzu makes for a very lovely Apollo! And it looks like the Universe agreed with you: it gave us those NHK pics so we could finally see the truth!:tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

@Ewa welcome to the Planet!

I'll make full use of the skills of google tranlation to read your article, the subject is very interesting (not only because of Yuzu). And you choose a gorgeous pic:biggrin:

Thank you so much for your kind words @LadyLou :thanks:

4 hours ago, Ewa said:

welcome here,what an interesting way to discover Yuzuru!I'm about to read what you wrote thanks to google translator btw!

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

I was reading a paragraph about the twelve Olympian Gods of the Greek mythology, when I suddenly realized how familiar the description of Apollo was... Here is a shortlist of the most striking details:

• Apollo is one of the twelve Olympian deities and the son of Zeus and Leto. He has a sister named Artemis.
  • The month of his birth varies among different cultures, but there is consensus that he was born on the seventh day of the month.
  • Apollo is seen as the most beautiful god and the ideal of kouros, the beardless, athletic youth. He is the most beloved and popular of all Olympian gods.
  • He is the god of archery and sport, music and dance, poetry and philosophy, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the sun and light.
  • He is the protector of the young leading them to adulthood, such as the protector of herds, crops and fields.
  • Apollo is the god of truth and foreseeing, his oracles were consulted before setting laws in a city.
  • The invention of string-music and archery is credited to Apollo, the latter also to his sister Artemis.
  • Apollo is the patron of sport and the laurel is his tree, the symbol of triumph and victory. He used his powers of eternal youth and immortality to render the laurel tree evergreen.
  • During the winter months he rides on the back of a swan to the land of the Hyperboreans. The absence of warmth in winter is due to his departure.
  • His most common and famous symbols are the lyre, bow and arrow, the swan, the python and the laurel wreath.

I can’t help, but the similarities with a certain Olympic hero are just too funny...

EDIT: I'd like to note that Apollo was not a throughout positive deity. He could bring diseases to the people and his actions in the Trojan War were anything but laudable. I also wouldn't dare to put Yuzu on par with a god. Yuzu is Yuzu, a very talented, hard-working athlete and wonderful human being.

ln9I4Rb.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ig0QxXh (edited myself)

Henny I'm sending you a big hug and i'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts:hugs:

@Henni147 I have the greatest sympathy for you - I too have lost a close relative, not to Covid, but the COVID regulations are making the funeral very difficult to organise, and are making a hard situation almost impossible.  I hope your other family members make a swift and full recovery.