General Yuzuru Chat

Another issue with the article was whatever it said about Nathan walking away empty handed when he's won all the major competitions since whenever. Except he didn't win 4CC this season or last, and WC didn't happen this season. If they're not counting that simply because he didn't attend, then what about Yuzu missing GPF and WC with injury in 2018?

Anyway, that's not my problem with it. My problem is that by winning all those events he's already been rewarded for them with titles and medals. Why reward someone twice for the same thing?

And, more importantly, P/C broke all three records in their discipline last season which I think is a much bigger deal than winning events, even championships, simply because you can do that without actually doing your best.  And also Sui/Han have won all 3 major events they've competed in at least once since the Olympics, and they came 2nd at WC18 only to the Olympic gold medalists - Nathan didn't have that opportunity because Yuzuru wasn't there. They also have 2 current world records. They have a lot in common with Nathan (and they've even got an Olympic silver, like P/C). So there's all this talk about Nathan in the men's field but none about teams doing exactly the same thing in their own disciplines. And, well, Kostornaia can also be thrown into the mix. 2 records, won all major events last season, won JGPF the year before. Why would Nathan be more deserving for MVS than any of the others if it was just based on performance? The scores can't be compared because the disciplines are scored differently. So his record looks big but 6 points across programs is huge in ladies skating because of the PCS but also without quads in SP (and Kosto didn't do any in the free anyway). And it's her debut season. Sure, best newcomer, whatever. But that would absolutely be a cop out if MVS was based on performance - if it was, she deserved to be up for it as much as Nathan. 

I actually adore Nathan. I even like his skating. But I am so sick of this constant nonsense. It does him no favours and he sure does not need everyone trying to shine the light on him. He said it himself: he loves skating. He's happy to be here. He's not in it for the popularity or for his fans but for his love of the sport. Everyone drumming up this ridiculous rivalry narrative  just takes away from what it really is about Yuzu and Nathan - two skaters who love their sport and are striving to do better and better. 

3 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I find the article upsetting because the average person reading this may believe this junk journalism as fact coming from the 'Olympic channel'.  

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Channel ), there's an IOC "Olympic Channel" with the official website =  http://www.olympicchannel.com/ .

And there are localized versions including the American "Olympic Channel" owned by NBC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Channel_(American_TV_channel) , with the official website = https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/

I took a quick look at the two websites and they're virtually identical, so you can probably safely assume that NBC is the one funneling content to the "Olympic Channel".

Cross-posting from Team Japan thread: 

JSF announced that they decided to stop sending their athletes to the following JGP and CS competitions considering the risk of getting/spreading the coronavirus and that athletes will have to self-quarantine themselves after coming back from competitions held abroad.

The CS events subject to this announcement:
CS Autumn Classic International
CS Nevelhorn Trophy
CS Finlandia Trophy
CS Budapest Trophy

7 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Cross-posting from Team Japan thread: 

JSF announced that they decided to stop sending their athletes to the following JGP and CS competitions considering the risk of getting/spreading the coronavirus and that athletes will have to self-quarantine themselves after coming back from competitions held abroad.

The CS events subject to this announcement:
CS Autumn Classic International
CS Nevelhorn Trophy
CS Finlandia Trophy
CS Budapest Trophy

Hmmm, would the same be applicable for skaters who are not based in Japan? Let's say Yuzu wants to sign up for ACI... he wouldn't have to go into quarantine after (in theory).

6 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Hmmm, would the same be applicable for skaters who are not based in Japan? Let's say Yuzu wants to sign up for ACI... he wouldn't have to go into quarantine after (in theory).

The same is applicable to Japanese skaters based abroad, I read. 

15 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

In the press release, they didn't mention excluding the skaters training abroad, so I think this applies to everyone who belongs to JSF.

7 часов назад, Dreamer сказал:

I find the article upsetting because the average person reading this may believe this junk journalism as fact coming from the 'Olympic channel'.  

I wonder how much "average person" reads such articles? As long as I was causal FS viewer for a lot of years until Yuzu I only watched comps and wasn't interested in any press/articles (apart only what I accidentally saw in the news on the local TV). And even if you're causal FS viewer you have your own eyes and opinion about skating (though here I would say commentators may have more influence as it's hard to judge technique if you don't dig deep yourself). But I always prefer to form my own opinion and not to trust blindly to any press, maybe for others it's different.

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

I wonder how much "average person" reads such articles? As long as I was causal FS viewer for a lot of years until Yuzu I only watched comps and wasn't interested in any press/articles (apart only what I accidentally saw in the news on the local TV). And even if you're causal FS viewer you have your own eyes and opinion about skating (though here I would say commentators may have more influence as it's hard to judge technique if you don't dig deep yourself). But I always prefer to form my own opinion and not to trust blindly to any press, maybe for others it's different.

Hmm, just my personal opinion but I doubt a casual FS viewer will take the time to read articles! Depends on how you define casual FS viewer too haha. Nearly all of my friends, family and acquaintances know nothing about FS and the only people they know are Yuna Kim and Yuzu, and sometimes Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. The only FS videos they have watched would be Yuna’s 2010 Olympic free skate and Yuzu’s 2018 Seimei haha