General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Neenah said:

I think it is fine if they keep the awards in this format (virtual). No need to disturb Worlds or any other competition. Just do an award show later after  the season ends to celebrate it and the skaters. This way it would be harmless and less expensive for them as well. I think it will bring more engagement from the fans if they weren't feeling cheated by losing the gala. 

as others suggested, it could easily be done as part of Banquet too (skaters are asked to dress formally for that one, anyway, they'd be spared the need of finding two different fancy outfits). Maybe use it to open the banquet and then leave skaters alone so they can have their usual fun.

Or maybe, yes, keep them virtual. Better, they would be more free with calendar and could keep the vote open till after last comp, then use the event to bring a bit of "excitement" (read: something to talk about) in off season, so more casual FS fans can be reminded that yes, FS exists!:tumblr_inline_n2pjcvIX6p1qdlkyg:

The Oly channel article was a disappontment.

I expected the usual rather inane (but harmless) fluff, but instead the parts about Yuzuru (or should I rather say, about why Nate isn't MVS) could have been written by another skater's agent or H*rsh (who has written the article? I have screenshotted parts, in case someone makes the sensible choice of editing things out, but I can't find the author, tho iirc sometimes he had wrote for them).

Yuzu said he hates when they speak as if he were a fossil. Well, Oly channel did exactly that.

Forgetting that:

• he has won one of the 3 major events of the season (blame ISU ranking points, other skaters' strategic choices that turned out bad in hindsight, covid or just adverse fate, but it's a fact that 4CC is a major comp and Yuzuru won it);
  • he set a new highest score in the short;
  • he landed a new quad combo;
  • in SC he had gotten mightly close to the fake Saitama WR;
  • and he got scores >300 twice in int comps this season (vs the clearly dominant skater one time)

All the article does is (not so subtly)hint that Yuzu is an has-been competitively, and that the only good thing to recommend him now is that he has many dedicated fans. Fans that apparently buy him a stupid award that others would have deserved more:tumblr_inline_mzx8vsq1d71r8msi5:

Well, I totally expected the downplaying&narratives would come back strong once pre-oly season truly started... but I didn't think they'd start so early:eek: not even one day after ISU had reluctantly gritted their teeth and "celebrated" Yuzuru:drama:

We can summarize Yuzu getting the MVS thing like this:

:hachimaki_angryparty_:

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

My main takeaway from this: the Awards would be best done as a stand-alone event. Even doing it virtually, getting through the six awards took more than an hour. I can't picture grafting that onto any arena event such as a Gala or even ice-show type performance that came at the end of a week of competition, when everyone's weary and their butts are sore from stadium seats and their hands are sore from clapping and skaters just want to get home . If it has to be held in any way that's connected to a competition, such as Worlds, then it should still be a separate event from the Gala. For the skaters' and audience sakes, both. Literally schedule it apart from the other stuff, and sell separate tickets to it.

this is an excellent point

I guess that, originally, live music and a few performances were supposed to liven up things (tough, when were the medallists supposed to skate, if skaters had been asked to dress up in formal attire?)

but still, only 1/3 of the surface would be left for the very thing people had bought: the skating

And what if one had bought a seat that was on the opposite side of where the (limited) skating happened? What if people who had paid to be ice level and found themselves eye to level to a platform instead?

Whenever there is an arena with a stage somewhere, the seats have different prices according the position of the stage, too. Would people with obstructed view or far from the "skating zone" been offered partial refund or switching seat? I doubt it

And you're right about the first and main reason why we've never quite liked the awards: the breach of trust from organizers was blatant and shameless. And never once addressed by any media. After than, any proclaim was just empty.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Okay, here are my two cents about the awards. I was going to post this in General Skating Chat but since everyone seems to be talking about it here:

My main takeaway from this: the Awards would be best done as a stand-alone event. Even doing it virtually, getting through the six awards took more than an hour. I can't picture grafting that onto any arena event such as a Gala or even ice-show type performance that came at the end of a week of competition, when everyone's weary and their butts are sore from stadium seats and their hands are sore from clapping and skaters just want to get home . If it has to be held in any way that's connected to a competition, such as Worlds, then it should still be a separate event from the Gala. For the skaters' and audience sakes, both. Literally schedule it apart from the other stuff, and sell separate tickets to it.

Or, keep it virtual. The format works pretty well and probably costs less to stage.

It should NOT replace a Gala exhibition. Why? Because the Gala exhibition is an important opportunity for skaters to show their stuff in a non-competitive setting, as performers. It's a stepping stone to landing professional ice show contracts as far as I can tell. Especially for non-medal winners, this could be key to their future careers. Don't take it away.

On top of that, every year skaters retire, and the Worlds Gala is the swansong for some of them...they  and their fans deserve that opportunity to say goodbye.

Now, as for the awards themselves, I agree with everyone else that the lack of transparency around the nomination process, voting, criteria for the awards etc are problems. To that I would add that costume designers should be getting equal billing for the Best Costume award (and maybe this award isn't really all that appropriate anyway? seems a bit like an elementary school Halloween party idea to me. 'Achievement in Costume Design' would be a better approach), that they need to have awards categories for every discipline (pairs being left out of the nominees is a problem!), and that 'Best Coach' seems like a nightmare to judge (another award that would be best switched to the 'Achievement in' approach instead).

I am very pleased that Yuzu got MVS, he's put more bums in seats at competitions for the last ten years than any five of his competitors combined. And I feel mildly ashamed that as his fan, I haven't been able to live up to his level of class and graciousness in regards to these awards. On the other hand, unlike some of us, Yuzu didn't spend $1300 dollars (or more) on an all-event ticket only to find out six months later that he wasn't going to be getting what he paid for. So while I will try to emulate his wonderful manners in future, I still will give voice to my reality here.

Which brings me to the crux of the problem: the reason we all hated the very thought of these awards is because they were introduced to us by means of a trick. Worlds 2020 all-event tickets were sold including a traditional two-hour gala. Long after the deadline for purchasing and paying for the tickets has passed, we were then told we would not be getting the Gala but something entirely different.

It doesn't matter one iota that the 'something entirely different' turned out to be something sort-of okay.

What matters is that we were tricked initially and will not forget it.

I ask one thing of the ISU and all future Worlds organizing committees, and one thing only, from here on out: Be upfront about what you're selling us. Every time.

When people are investing the equivalent of a monthly mortgage payment in the ticket price, it is the rock-bottom least you can do.

:nod2:

7 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

We'll get more and more similar articles from Olympic channel as we approach the Olympic season. Next season will be worse then in the Olympic season multiply it by 10:

Hide contents

Why are people always writing negative articles about Yuzu though? (Forgive my ignorance, I’ve only been here for less than a year)

Especially since no one knows whether Yuzu will go for 2022 (maybe even Yuzu himself doesn’t know)

There's no way they keep the awards in virtual format or make it behind the scene if Worlds happens. Why? CUZ MONEYYYYYYY LOL 

They need an excuse to charge astronomical price. The ticket price is escalating cuz yOU CaN enJOY a w0rLd - cLasS EveNT :003:

This is just the beginng. If Yuzuru decide to go to Bejing, there would more and more bias article/analysis like that. I won't surprise if US judges pull off the same tactic that they use against Plushenko in 2010 to him as well. Once they finish all the "wrong" with Yuzuru, they will switch to his fans. Every single move of fan would be analyzed and mocked and they will try to tie his name with negative thing while hyping others. 

If you don't want to give ISU or OC channel click, block them. Ranting also give them publicity. Some people might not pay attention to bad content, but end up doing so because fans keep talkking about it.

As for the award, may it never comeback again. Yuzuru won won't change the fact that its a bad and cringeworthy idea. But some people and agent in FS community clearly care enough and very bitter about it. 

11 hours ago, TallyT said:

...(Mind you, won't it be funny if Yuzu ends up the first, last and only Most Valuable Skater ever?)

That would be excellent. :agree:  In any case, Yuzu is first, so that's another first for him.

10 hours ago, Lunna said:

But I think voting was about only 1/3 of the result and we never saw voting results anyway (in TV shows like The Voice here in the final they at least show the % voted by audience and % voted by jury and then total result). And final result was decided by jury anyway....

That voting site was not even secure. You could vote as many times as you want, so those vote counts were not even reliable.

7 hours ago, Neenah said:

I think it is fine if they keep the awards in this format (virtual). No need to disturb Worlds or any other competition. Just do an award show later after  the season ends to celebrate it and the skaters. This way it would be harmless and less expensive for them as well. I think it will bring more engagement from the fans if they weren't feeling cheated by losing the gala. 

I think our best bet is to push for a show that is separate from the gala. If we just bash the show, they will ignore all the complaints and lump it in as fanyus being negative again.

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

...Which brings me to the crux of the problem: the reason we all hated the very thought of these awards is because they were introduced to us by means of a trick. Worlds 2020 all-event tickets were sold including a traditional two-hour gala. Long after the deadline for purchasing and paying for the tickets has passed, we were then told we would not be getting the Gala but something entirely different...

Not only did they swap out the Gala for the Show. They changed the TIME of the event. The Gala was scheduled in the afternoon, so some people booked flights in the evening to return home after the Gala. When they changed the Gala to the Show, they scheduled the Show in the evening, so those who already made travel plans had to scramble to rearrange their flights and hotel reservations, and they ended up having to pay fees for making those changes.

15 minutes ago, IceWings said:

Not only did they swap out the Gala for the Show. They changed the TIME of the event. The Gala was scheduled in the afternoon, so some people booked flights in the evening to return home after the Gala. When they changed the Gala to the Show, they scheduled the Show in the evening, so those who already made travel plans had to scramble to rearrange their flights and hotel reservations, and they ended up having to pay fees for making those changes

Which speaks even more to my original point: don't sell the tickets until the event is properly planned, with all the scheduling and content details nailed down and set in cement. 

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

The Oly channel article was a disappontment.

I expected the usual rather inane (but harmless) fluff, but instead the parts about Yuzuru (or should I rather say, about why Nate isn't MVS) could have been written by another skater's agent or H*rsh (who has written the article? I have screenshotted parts, in case someone makes the sensible choice of editing things out, but I can't find the author, tho iirc sometimes he had wrote for them).

Yuzu said he hates when they speak as if he were a fossil. Well, Oly channel did exactly that.

I read that article, and it doesn't seem like it was written by our usual Oly-chan. Reads more like it was written one of the NBC hacks. 

34 minutes ago, Fay said:

Hmmm, Mr. Hanyu does trump everyone else on media coverage. 
Some Japanese newspapers 

Any reason to put Yuzu on the covers...:nod2:

Mind you, that OC article managed to (I'm sure by accident) call Nathan's skating machine-like.... someone didn;'t read their notes about art and ballet.

7 minutes ago, Veveco said:

T*L really desperate for attention lately, aren't they? If trashing fanyus is the only way to remain relevant, it says a lot about their priorities. Sorry, I meant the one fanyu. Singular. :D

lmao shameless and their last tweet was about Yuzu getting the MVS because he's paying ISU bills . They'd sure know the most about this since they'd do anything to drag Yuzu's name or even his fandom in to pay for their bills. i honestly don't get why they're relevant at this point. we should just let them rot in irrelevance. 

7 minutes ago, Veveco said:

T*L really desperate for attention lately, aren't they? If trashing fanyus is the only way to remain relevant, it says a lot about their priorities. Sorry, I meant the one fanyu. Singular. :D

I see that we've become the DeathStar™ , no longer a mere planet.... :darklordyuzu: