General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Also, the saga of The White Wall goes on.

He definitely has a monochrome aesthetic at the moment! Black clothes (and hair) and the White Wall.

I missed the White Corner today.....maybe he'll return to it for the next video?

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

I'm a well-watered and happy cactus today :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

(not thanks to you know what, but thanks to the magic combo of 3h of old Zuzu rewatching + new Zuzu appearing and reminding me that's he's such a wonderful person, other than skating GOAT <3

he truly is too good for this sport (and yes, I'm definiteyl not as good as he is)

Yuzu, we love you and this shower of hearts is all for you: :loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower::loveshower:

I haven't listened much to Charlie and Tanith's commentaries, but I remember Charlie being so sweet and toughtfulwhen interviewing Yuzu after WC17 SP and Tanith being nice in the NBC OWG specials, so I'm glad they were good hosts here too

The video montage intorducing MVS Yuzu they put those two amazing fans wearing pooh onesies in Turin too! They always make me crack up so much because they were just SO HYPED and they're clearly NOT your stereotypical "japanese" fans:laughing:  I also got soft seeing on of our banners :10636614: felt a vit as if I was holding it myself.

The MVS video was actually really lovely!

A pity ISU is... ISU and had to ruin a potentially nice (or at least harmless) idea

Reveal hidden contents

I won't forget the tickets mess, nor how, amidst COVID epidemy(soon to be declared pandemic) dramatically escalating, they just kept adding and adding new occasions for skaters and fans to mix in supercrowded indoor spaces.

The nerve and calloussness of that! The irresponsibility!

To me that's what taints the whole initiative: how thoughtlessly the thing was handled since the very start, and has been handled since then.

It was born with an original sin, so to say, and then they made it worse.

One award given to a deserving person doesn't change this

As for TrashLessons, they wish they had as many people ready to throw money at them as we do for Yuzu :P

(yeah, I know this is petty and materialist , but it does give me a bit of satisfaction and isn't nearly as petty as the not-so-veiled preemptive self-victimization)

I almost wish ISU was shameless till the end and gave that stupid award to someone else, if could mean we would be spared more trash opinions :/

cutie patootie? :ohmygod:

it sounds about right:tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

well, there was the chance of new Yuzu content, especially since there was always the chance of Yuzu getting a "consolation prize" to make ISU look good(&make us displeased fans look bad and silly) and have some acceptance speech.

I'm happy he delivered, and even happier that he didn't stick to a couple of cold, formal sentences but showed all his thoughtfulness and kindess and sincerity<3

But while he might have felt sad that something about his beloved sport was being actively avoided by many fans, I feel that he, more than anyone, would understand why many of us just couldn't stomach to give our share of views to ISU streaming. After all, he's always been more symphatetic with the kind of issues we've been pointing out than anyone in the merry brigade of Ari&ISU&assorted media

ETA: small :offtopic2:

Hide contents

I saw the whole MVS candidates introduction and gosh they truly chose the most stiff-knee landings among the stiff landings for Nate...not that anyone aside fanyus cares about good knee bend anymore, but...so aestethically not pleasing...

Also...how radically they changed Yuzu's introduction compared to those descriptions(with mistakes) they had uploaded when anjnoncing candidates: they started calling him trailblazer, talking about his following, being featured on magazines...:yznotimpressed:

someone did a major rewriting

Anyway, I suppose this is our July quota of Yuzu vids. Now it starts the wait for August:13877886: Gosh, i miss him already...

Also, the saga of The White Wall goes on. What can we expect next?:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Charlie and Tanith are some my favorite north american commentators and I could really see their true appreciation for Yuzu shone through every time they talked about him or to him. I feel like ice dancers tend to appreciate Yuzu more bc they understand artistry. and yes, the clownery show was all about popularity and money, that's what it was created for and that's what it wanted to streamline. I think they tried so hard to split the pie. they gave most of the awards to eteri camp and some to the other disciplines, but they didn't forget to nominate the north american skaters in order to attract those patriots, and most importantly, they nominated popular skaters like Yuzu, Zhenya who bring in the views. :emoticonaci2019: honestly, i felt like giving the award to Yuzu was a last minute decision thing where they witnessed the reception and realized it wouldn't be a good idea after all to give it to anyone else, which should have even come as a surprise in the first place. It seems like they needed Yuzu to validate the show by giving the MVS to him rather than the other way around.

Practically we'd have at most 2 more seasons left with Yuzu (and figure skating as a whole for me) so I just wish the cancel this thing next two seasons and bring back gala shows. 

And I cannot believe August is coming. I realized that my life has really fallen into seasons now and it all revolves around when Yuzu competes. And I'm so used to waiting that the cactus season begins to feel normal haha I wonder if we would really get a program announcement this august or have to wait until the competition day like last season to find out. 

Putting everything in retrospect, I feel like although Yuzu lost GPF and Jnats last season, it wasn't a disastrous season. Yes, scoring has been a mess since 16/17 and the GPF results were unbelievably ridiculous, but I feel like there were a lot more things to be thankful for in 19/20 compared to 18/19. While he did break a lot more records in 18/19 and there was more excitement since we got to experience otonal/origin the first time, 19/20 seemed more bittersweet. He was able to break so many curses, still break records, bring back old jumps, bring in new jumps, achieved super slam, and most importantly competed at 6 events injured free! it just amazing what he could still do as a 2 time olympic champion. while he has nothing more to prove, it's just so exciting as a fan to still see how he was able to keep grabbing more achievements along the way trying to achieve his main mission of landing a 4A. And hopefully since he stays, even if it might seem infeasible to win a 3rd olympic, you can never underestimate Mr. Hanyu.

5 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Charlie and Tanith are a few of my favorite north american commentators and I could really see their true appreciation for Yuzu shone through every time they talked about him or to him. I feel like ice dancers tend to appreciate Yuzu more bc they understand artistry. and yes, the clownery show was all about popularity and money, that's what it was created for and that's what it wanted to streamline. I think they tried so hard to split the pie. they gave most of the awards to eteri camp and some to the other disciplines, but they didn't forget to nominate the north american skaters in order to attract those patriots, and most importantly, they nominated popular skaters like Yuzu, Zhenya, and Rika who bring in the views. . 

Not that I'm unaware of the politicking and corruption in the ISU, but to be fair the 3 nominations for each category  were selected by the voting open to the general public a few months ago and there were plenty of other skaters people could vote for. I remember voting for Shoma for best costume (his first SP costume was the best one last season and I will not hear otherwise).

I do wish they made these awards less about the skaters and more about the behind-the-scenes work. Coaches and choreographers were a good category. I think best newcomer is a good idea in theory because in most disciplines, debuts to senior don't usually make it to the podium so it's a way of recognising their achievements but when the new ladies are winning everything it doesn't really serve its purpose because they're being acknowledged through their event wins. Perhaps that one needs to be split by discipline. The costume category needs to be awarded to the designers. From what I read about Origin 2.0, Yuzu basically just said he didn't want it to be black and Satomi went from there. She interpreted the music for the costume, kept Yuzu's skating presence in mind, chose a different colour, and went from there. And yet he was the one up for the award lol. I do have to say that I'm glad Chock/Bates won because she went to the practice at GPF in snakeskin print leggings and that is the kind of dedication to a costume and theme that I'm here for. I think she also had her hair done. 

47 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

...honestly, i felt like giving the award to Yuzu was a last minute decision thing where they witnessed the reception and realized it wouldn't be a good idea after all to give it to anyone else, which should have even come as a surprise in the first place. It seems like they needed Yuzu to validate the show by giving the MVS to him rather than the other way around.

I've been thinking (once I got over the shock of 'they did the right thing!') and it occurred to me that the ISU - certainly Zakarian (sp?) intended it for Nathan, right from the start but then in the last month or so the pandemic has made it clear that the season - and therefore the sport's general popularity and bottom line worldwide - is going to take an almighty hit. And Yuzuru, the top Japanese, and the Russian and Korean girls are their only real hope to get back attention and income once international skating gets going again (which I doubt will be before the new year at the earliest, but who knows?) So all of a sudden, toadying to the US Fed over their award show was not worth it. 

The omission of Alina in anything (c'mon, they could have made it four nominees, or even five like the Oscars, and brought in Sui/Han) and the godawful mess they made of the bios doesn't support my suspicions, unless it was a last minute thing... but I can't help wondering.

1 hour ago, memae said:

I'm glad Chock/Bates won because she went to the practice at GPF in snakeskin print leggings and that is the kind of dedication to a costume and theme that I'm here for. I think she also had her hair done.

Mind you, you have to laugh at how the clip is all MADISONMADISONMADISONevan?MADISON!!! It is a magnificent dress.

One thing, seeing some pictures (and doesn't he look great? not too formal but dressed with respect for the audience) I did notice something reassuringly Yuzu...

The sleeves of his jacket.

As always, the sleeves are the wrong length. Yet again, Mister Hanyu has bought a suit (or jacket, he could have been wearing jammies like Jason) that does not fit.

He is so lucky he has Satomi to dress him on ice....

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

I've been thinking (once I got over the shock of 'they did the right thing!') and it occurred to me that the ISU - certainly Zakarian (sp?) intended it for Nathan, right from the start but then in the last month or so the pandemic has made it clear that the season - and therefore the sport's general popularity and bottom line worldwide - is going to take an almighty hit. And Yuzuru, the top Japanese, and the Russian and Korean girls are their only real hope to get back attention and income once international skating gets going again (which I doubt will be before the new year at the earliest, but who knows?) So all of a sudden, toadying to the US Fed over their award show was not worth it. 

The omission of Alina in anything (c'mon, they could have made it four nominees, or even five like the Oscars, and brought in Sui/Han) and the godawful mess they made of the bios doesn't support my suspicions, unless it was a last minute thing... but I can't help wondering.

I am sort of wondering the same thing, that the “switch” to give the MVS to Yuzuru instead of Nathan was a last minute change.  Like, ISU is taking a big hit financially, losing sponsors and all, and someone finally realize that Yuzu is only going to stick around for 2 more years at most and the fanyus are the ones who bring in the cash.  So they realize that they only have 2 more years to make the most money they can, in order to dig themselves out of the current financial hole, and they cannot afford to lose the hanyuconomy?  If this is the case, will they finally score him a bit more fairly? (Or, probably just my wishful thinking....)

Thinking about what Yuzu will do next season is SCARY.  Like, we thought that there was a chance for 4A to show up in Montreal Worlds.  He has so much time to train for it now....will it finally show up next season?  The fact that nobody knows anything about next season makes it a bit more scary!

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

One thing, seeing some pictures (and doesn't he look great? not too formal but dressed with respect for the audience) I did notice something reassuringly Yuzu...

The sleeves of his jacket.

As always, the sleeves are the wrong length. Yet again, Mister Hanyu has bought a suit (or jacket, he could have been wearing jammies like Jason) that does not fit.

He is so lucky he has Satomi to dress him on ice....

Eh? Sorry if this is kind of OT, but could you clarify to me what was up with the length of his sleeves? I was too busy admiring his hands, :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow: so I failed to pay any attention to the sleeves....sorry!  :thanks:

1 hour ago, Hope_and_Legacy said:

Eh? Sorry if this is kind of OT, but could you clarify to me what was up with the length of his sleeves? I was too busy admiring his hands, :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow: so I failed to pay any attention to the sleeves....sorry!  :thanks:

I've lost the tweet with the caps, but they looked just that but too short (not as bad as his official jacket at PC) and too much cuff showing.  I could be wrong...

6 hours ago, Veveco said:

I'm a bit late, but as someone living in the rain ravaged part of Japan, I want to say thank you to Yuzu for mentioning this situation in his Japanese interview during the awards. He truly has great empathy for people and this is one reason I'm such a fan of his.

We are fortunate that our house in on a small hill, but far enough from steeper parts, so no flooding and no danger of landslides. Even for the Japanese rainy season, the rain fall was much greater than usual; about 400mm + in the course of 48 hours and it has been raining for the past couple of weeks. My old research institute, unfortunately by a big river, was flooded. It was good that we were "stuck" in Japan for a longer time due to the Covid situation (had been in the UK for work the last 10 years), since at least we could fix our roof before the rains started. Last year was bad also and I definitely feel that it is a consequence of ocean warming, exacerbating the rain potential.