General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, mmmrazorz said:

Pardon my ignorance but i'm curious whether figure skating was really famous in Japan before Yuzu. Because not-so-popular idols can hold concerts in Japan that are attended by thousands. I always thought japanese were so rich that they literally watch anything 😓

Oh definitely. Mao Asada is deeply loved and Daisuke Takahashi and the quite brilliant group at his time brought mens skating into serious fandom.

Jsports will air you-know-what because they've bought the broadcasting rights a long time ago. They were planning to air it live during Worlds in March. They were supposed to air Worlds as well, although a bit later, so I guess they bought the rights to air them all as a package, including the event. I guess Fuji also did the same as Jsports. They'll stream the event live on FOD (Fuji TV On Demand) which you must subscribe and pay to watch. I don't know if we Japanese will be geo-blocked from ISU stream, but I am more than welcome to be blocked so that I will have another reason to skip the event tonight. Unfortunately, I've already unsubscribed from FOD last month and can't afford to subscribe again because I've spent so much on photobooks, etc.:10814716:  I've never thought that one day I would be so grateful to be geo-blocked...

I am sure Russian TV also bought rights for World's, but I didn't see any streams on TV or online TV site, dunno if they will mention it in news (well, they can, it's not like a lot of sports news are around now)

And it's too good weather here, so I am going to the park with friends till evening so no stream for me anyway, my loss I guess :P

Our sports channel also bought rights for Worlds but they won't broadcast the thing today, they broadcast past Olympic Games these days instead, including men's free skate from PyeongChang on 14 July so I am not complaining. :space:

It's also warm here today, I am going to go to swimming but then a storm will come around the time the YuzuSkatingParty comes so maybe I will be back home by then and can watch the stream. :) If not then I will join you a bit later. 

By the way, Yomiuri uploaded another video of Wakasugi san talking about a photo of Yuzu on their Online Yuzuru Hanyu Exhibition site yesterday.

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/topics/20200615-OYT8T50061/

You can watch it by clicking on the video displayed under this title
”(2)GPファイナル フリー(2019年12月7日、イタリア)”

Rough Translation of his comment

Hello, everyone who has come to see the Hanyu Yuzuru Online Exhibition. It is Kazuki Wakasugi from the photography department of the Yomiuri Shimbun Tokyo headquarters. Today, I am going to talk about this photograph. (Shows a picture of Yuzu on his knee after finishing his FS at GPF2019)

It is a photo of "Origin" during the men's free skate at the Grand Prix Final held in December last year, in Turin, Italy. He participated in GPF for the first time in 3years, and men's FS took place on his 25th birthday. After he finished his program kneeling down and throwing up his left hand, he fell facedown on the ice, as if to collapse. This is the moment he looked up, breathing hard and heavy.

He went into this free skate seeking to come from behind and win over Nathan Chen, who was leading after the short program by a rather large margin of 12.95 points, so, right from the beginning, I could feel his determination, or his energy so strongly even through the finder or the lens. My heart beat fast, and I got a bit terrified while watching him. It was a tremendous free skate.

That free skate was so tremendous that in my mind, I wanted to say, "Please, stop it! You've done enough!" When it comes to photographing Hanyu senshu, I am the kind of photographer who would want to present his comfortable or a gentle expression (t/n: see the note bellow) instead of a bit grim, or pained look like this. However, this moment in this photograph, I think, was something essential to the 2019-2020 season, so I asked (t/n: the curator) to include this photo in this exhibition.

But why did I feel that this moment was essential? He had won the two consecutive Olympic titles and had been demanded, expected to win as a matter of course. But he still wasn't satisfied with himself. He continued performing, giving every bit of himself to it, to reach even higher goals. He kept on fighting, putting all of his energy until finally, he became unable to get up on his feet. I think this expression appeared on his face because he went through that much. This expression also made me hopeful that I might be able to see him reaching a higher goal. When I saw this scene, I could not help but reflect on my whole life, wondering if I ever had put my all energy into something like that, until I become unable to get up in my feet. I think that free skate was something that could make others reflect and ponder on something by watching figure skating. After this men's free skate, I had to go to Stockholm, Sweden as soon as possible to cover the Nobel Prize Award Ceremonies. It's a shame that I wasn't able to see his expressions at the press conference, victory ceremony, and exhibition, but I think it was really fortunate to have been able to witness this free skate that was filled with determination, as well as this moment.

You can see other photographs taken during GPF in this exhibition. I hope you will enjoy them as well. Thank you for watching this video until the end. (Bows)

T/n: "I am the kind of photographer who would want to present his comfortable or a gentle expression"
This part is a rather free translation. Original says that he wants to show "涼しげな、優しげな表情" instead of a bit grim, or pained look here. 表情 means facial expression. 涼しい roughly means "cool in temperature," and 涼しげ roughly means something looks cool, refreshing, clean, etc. It is the opposite of warm, sweaty, and disheveled. 涼しげ is also used to describe someone's facial expression when someone is doing something difficult like nothing as if saying, "No sweat." When it is used to describe the beauty of someone's face itself, it means the face has something that reminds people of something cool, clear, and comfortable, such as clear cold water or cool breeze, etc. A face with long-slitted eyes and clear skin like Yuzu's are typical 涼しげ face to Japanese. However, he also looks 涼しげ when he lands 3A from difficult entry like nothing and goes into spread eagle or twizzle. Since I am not sure which 涼しげ Wakasugi san means here, and could not come up with English expressions suitable for conveying the nuance, I compromised with "comfortable." If you know any words can be used to translate 涼しげ, I would appreciate your advice.

1 minute ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

...is this still about that thought of yours? I am still curious about it as well, and you can be a naughty admin every now and then so go ahead 😏😃

:heavybreathing:

i'm talking about the skating party hahahaha you'll love it guys!!

[and i'm saving my naughty quota for what's coming towards us :devilYuzu:]

32 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I promise you are going to cry guys:sadPooh:

Don't say that, please :drama:. Today is a working day for me (working from home fortunately) and I was planning on joining the stream sneakily on the side  I can't afford getting choked up when I'm supposed to be coaching my colleagues remotely over the phone lol

22 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Today is a working day for me (working from home fortunately)

Lucky you! After 3 months of working from home, my boss needs me in the office today :curse:

I'll try to join the stream somehow. My boss is a fanyu, after all :space: