General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

you mean ...masked bandit who usually comes out in the night?

Except this masked bandit robs you blind in daylight.

Not only.....the unmasked ISU is f***UGLY

I mean ISU has some trouble with math and is trying to count Yuzu's gold medals right to edit his bio :P

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Terry Gannon of NBC got tongue twisted and called Yuzu “Yuruzu” as he was stepping off the ice after his Olympic debut in the team event at Sochi.

Eurosport guy once called Javi "Xavier". How  even? There's no "x" in his name. Oh and they also called him Javert a la Les Mis.

:yuzususpect:,

1 minute ago, EternalSpin said:

I mean ISU has some trouble with math and is trying to count Yuzu's gold medals right to edit his bio :P

@EternalSpin....you are too kind to ISU

They are too stupid to appreciate the precious treasure, Yuzuru Hanyu.

With all the errors of omission and commission in our boy's bio: ISU couldn't:yuck: find it's way out of a paper bag

3 hours ago, Fay said:

Skate Canada Annual Report’s in - and there were 3600 spectators at ACI, 23k in Kelowna, more than at Nationals - I wonder what on earth drew them in? 
http://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2020-Skate-Canada-Annual-Report-EN.pdf

In all fairness, Nationals happened in the middle of a blizzard that made driving unsafe, but still, the numbers are very telling. 

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Who did they employ to write this, a first grade student? 

I would guess some clueless intern, but wouldn't s/he just copy and paste from say wiki, so how yuRuzu??? and twitter has spell check so JulLy??? Me thinks someone may be out shortly of a job.

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Even the "July" is spelled wrongly haha

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Who did they employ to write this, a first grade student? 

4 hours ago, sweetwater said:

I am half jokingly half seriously believe that they tried to measure how many people actually care about this award by publishing bio full of mistakes because the number of likes and retweets their tweets on the award get looks smaller compared to the number of likes and RTs their tweets about streaming of past competitions, or a tweet like this from Nekomasamune gets.

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Hey, the month of Jully sounds fun! 

4 hours ago, Veveco said:

They corrected the name but not Jully :smiley-laughing021:

4 hours ago, Ririka said:

Well~ since we don’t have a Jully in our calendar I guess it means the awards won’t happen too 

3 hours ago, lynnidolz said:

What if this is some evil genius isu idea to rile up Yuzuru fans so that we keep talking about the awards  before its happen than annouced he is actually the winner just to get more of his fan talking post wards also..

21 minutes ago, EternalSpin said:

:headdesk::headdesk::ohno::1:

@lynnidolz that 'evil genius thing' is exactly how outrage marketing works. They do something annoying or outrageous and it gets people talking. 

@sweetwater But Nekomasamune is cute! He deserves more traffic than ISU. 

On 7/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, Veveco said:

Not from the Stockholm organizers. (They seemed as clueless as any of us.) I want to say it was from Ari or ISU. The tweet below is all I could find so if anyone has a better memory than me... :13877886: My understanding is that it *will* happen again (sigh), the only question is where/when. (I'd love to be wrong though) If the next season is shortened though, it will be even less credible than this year.

I had in mind a screenshot from another user, but my memory isn't the most reliable thing (understatement of the century:68556365:), so maybe I've mixed thigs up

On 7/4/2020 at 1:19 AM, SitTwizzle said:

3) Do you mean, there would be no refund even if the buyers were legally forbidden to attend?

I can't be sure, they say tickets won't be refundable under any circumstance, but maybe there's always the chance that if WC get cancelled by Swedish government there would be refunding, but from their wording I wouldn't trust them (I also wouldn't trust Sweden to make a similar call to Canada in similar situation). They do say that if event gets rescheduled, people that can't go just have to suck it up :shrug:

On 7/4/2020 at 2:03 AM, yuzuangel said:

tbh I can see their logic being like "FS was already popular in Japan before Yuzuru" because all fanyus are Japanese (duh), but FS had not been popular in the US for decades and still isn't popular but at least not zero so ... :tumblr_inline_mlrwnrXy0u1qz4rgp:

that makes sense:laughing:

Though I've read that, apparently, SOI US was actually well-attended around the Sochi quadriennium, so the fact that two WC golds + the 4 years of hype by media still couldn't fill arenas sounds...as if something in their carefully laid plans went awry

side note: today I set my vpn on US and while I'm not surprised that views of NBC GPF Nate > Yuzuru, it was endlessly hilarious that the views of Chock/Bates and their snake program were >>>> anyway, and without WRs and gold. True, an OGM in 2022 could change things, but the predictable spike in popularity is just that, a spike. They would need to feed it with new content to turn it into a consolidated plateau and that's hard, if your star is gonna go back to focus on their meds studies

another side note

Spoiler

right now I've got little sympathy to spare for those who, even if they didn't *ask* for the politicking&games done in their names, are still, at the end of the day, getting very practical benefits out of those very politicking&games. Benefits they accept maybe reluctantly(huge maybe), but they *still* do.

Of course I won't ever expect nor demand them to ever say "thanks, but no thanks" or to speak out if they think there's an issue. What they do is perfectly human. But I am human too. I owe them only basic civility and nothing more.

(Well, of course sometimes I also do have sympathy for some of those athletes, but I won't pretend to have sympathy for every single one of them, especially not while they're still in their honeymoon with fed&ISU.  On the other hand, I envy those of you who sincerely do. I don't understand it, but good for you, to have so much generosity inside you)

side note of the side note:

to me, civility includes, among others, patiently untagging skaters' accounts whenever "journalists" drag them in their attempts to polemize with fanyus. In general, keeping my manifestations of frustration in contexts that skaters can easily avoid, if they wish so

anyway, ISU couldn't have been more transparent than they have. Well, Ari's been campaigning for it since the scam awards were announced, but it's another level of baffling how ISU didn't bother to pick a description for the award that *could* really fit their Chosen One (like, idk, setting highest scores, being undefeated in one season) but instead... they just presented the nominees in  away that could justify their choice:smiley-laughing021:

and the Jully typo was funny (the other not so much)

22 hours ago, lynnidolz said:

I hate to say this but do u guys think because Yuzuru is from an Asian country is why  the reason their trying so much to undermine his achievement? Sorry if this question inappropriate.I will delete this

as other have said, it's probably a mix.

• being and Asian
  • AND from an Asian Country (historically NA+Europe and Russia had the monopoly of FS, just look at all the OWG and WC podium and you'll get an idea about just how recent it is to have Asian countries medalling in the biggest comps, and how long and hard the road was...and still is)
  • he isn't signed with IMG or any other big agency. That means he's not as "profitable" as other skaters, and if he keeps winning and being on top there's no space to market those that have signed with them. I'm mentioning IMG in particular because in FS everyone and their mothers are signed with them. Ok, maybe not everyone, but it's true that the FS branch of IMG represents many (and I mean, MANY) coaches, athletes, even whole national feds and... ISU. Yeah, that's right. Now you see why Yuzu is not *as* profitable, despite selling out ISU arenas at comps

of course being managed by IMG doesn't mean skaters get it easy by default. Mao was with IMG....and yet she was never treated (read: scored) as the Chosen One (btw, there were rumours that IMG was somehow involved in what made Yuna leave TCC in 2010. But I wasn't around so I've only read about speculations on GS. For the record, Brian was IMG)

Also, signing with an agency (especially a big and powerful one) can mean that you surrender some of your freedom to them

(more about IMG and also other economic interests in FS by american media here)

Add to all of this broader economic&cultural backgorund that:

• Yuzuru is the worst nightmare for all those people that like to talk about tech vs art dichotomy. He excelles at both. That defies some consolidated narratives
  • his skating and his costumes (and why not, his appearance too) don't fit the western "image" of how Men's champions are supposed to look and skate (because he's pretty and he skates beautifully BUT he's ALSO a relentless beast always hungry for gold who can't be easily dismissed and ignored)

some additional broader historical context. These are not the talks of "mere" fans, but people who researched and published academic papers and books about FS&gender (mostly focusing on the era of 6.0, but some things haven't changed)

• Add that even in Japan Yuzuru is kind of an outsider (he didn't come from one of the "centres of power" of Japan FS), which means that within Japan he doesn't actually have much politicking to his name, aside what he's conquered through his results
  • also add some not-so-edifying episodes involving previous JSF president Hashimoto (let's put it like this: Yuzu was not her favest fave...which, all in all, is a blessing):slinkaway:

And pretty likely there's more...

So, there are multiple complex factors at play, some regarding Yuzu as a Japanese, some Yuzu as just *himself* (and some merely being that USFSA found their own horse for the OWG race). IMO we can roughtly sum everything up as Yuzu blurring certain lines, breaking certain sterotypes and, ultimately, disturbing certain interests

(oh, and he hasn't been gracious enough to just step aside even after the second OGM)

back to more pleasant things:

On 7/4/2020 at 7:00 AM, Paskud said:

9 million views :68556365:

working to bring it to 10 millions:biggrin: 930.000 views to go:biggrin: :biggrin:

(now, if only watchin Yuzu vids could be my real work...:sigh:)

On 7/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, Fay said:

aww, the bb Romeo that Yuzu didn't want to let die:laughing: and the very skate that impressed Shun so much:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

And a few years later, Shun got a gold medal under his senpai's proud gaze, skating to a RJ program set to the music of Yuzu'sRJ2 :10636614:

Re: Sweden

Spoiler

disclaimer: I haven't followed their situation in detail, but afaik (source: and Italian professor living in Sweden) the model they had adopted had predicted around 2000 victims, and thus far they've topped 5000. Of course compared to Italy, France, Belgium and UK, they did much better, despite not locking down. But they certainly fared much much worse than the neighboring countries that, instead, chose a more proactive approach. In terms of lethality, they did worse than Germany, too. The plan was protecting at risk population while letting the not-at-risk mostly go about their lives, but they didn't manage the former as well as they had planned. And their economy didn't emerge totally unscathed either, since it still too interconnected with the rest of Europe.

Looking at social&cultural habits (trusting their scientists for starters) + density, I can see why they thought a soft approach would be good enough (it would have never worked in here, and even there it didn't work as well as they had expected).

Still, I don't think that leaving most of the burdern on individual responsability would be a fireproof approach. Not all people *do* something just because you've asked them nicely (and some people don't even when, instead of asking, you demand). And when you have something like FS comp, with people from all over the world all gathering in the same place for a week and then going back, you have a giant incubator that's ready to explode, unless you take some serious measures. can Sweden take those measures? Who knows.

(Also, same source as above, apparently in Sweden there aren't many ICUs?)

btw, re: lower lethality because younger population gets tested

in Italy we saw a similar thing, average age lowering and milder sympthoms. Now, some people took this as "ah! Everyone, let's celebrate, now covid isn't dangerous anymore! Yay!!!" (then one man acted based on the belief covid wasn't serious... and ended in ICU. Alas. I hope he isn't dragging anyone else with him, he sure as heck tried his best to be a Typhoid Mary)

Of course till we don't know why, exactly, new cases are milder (could be just because they are found and treated earlier), we need to stay alert

I've read that there's the chance T cells could be involved in how body fights sars-cov2, some kind of cross protection thanks to previous encounters with other coronaviruses, resulting in milder covid cases. Apparently (I don't know if true, people commenting on social a paper recently published said so) T cells response is stronger in younger people, also in women compared to men, and declines with age. There's hypothesis that T cells might give some kind of cross protection against reinfection too even without anticorps, so situation might not be so gloomy even without a vaccine (ETA: it would mean part of world population is "already" somewhat protected even if they've never actually been infected). But of course more data and more studies are needed.

It's both fascinating and terrifying to see medical knowledge progress alongside a pandemic

5 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Eurosport guy once called Javi "Xavier". How  even? There's no "x" in his name. Oh and they also called him Javert a la Les Mis.

:yuzususpect:,

Javier can be written Xavier, but in Spanish or Basque (it is a Basque name, which etymology is "etcheberry", meaning "the new house" or "the large house" or "the house in good condition", a very common Basque name; it was the name of the feudal domain of St Francis Xavier's father, their family name being de Jasso) it is pronounced sort of "kh", a hard "h", or sometimes "sh", but not "x". In French, though, it is usually pronounced "x" (not the only phonetic difference in the name), in some regions even it becomes s.

The coincidence being, that St Francis Xavier was the first evangelist of Japan and seems to have fallen in love with the country, while the first embassy from Japan to Spain set out from Sendai (sent by its founder Date Masamune) — and there are still descendants of part of the crew in Coro de los Ríos, near Seville, some 700 of whom still bear the name Japón.

This is one more reason for me to be moved by the "Yuzuvier" friendship, sorry if it is a bit out of topic.:love:

3 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

anywya, ISU couldn't have been more transparent than they have. Well, Ari's been campaigning for it since the scam awards were announced, but it's another level of baffling how ISU didn't bother to pick a description for the award that *could* really fit their Chosen One (like, idk, setting highest scores, being undefeated in one season) but instead... they just presented the nominees in  away that could justify their choice:smiley-laughing021:

I think the hypothesis on the street was that it was meant for Yuzu, but at the last minute someone and/or agent(s) intervened.

That's...why the description was clearly written for Yuzu, and of course they can't change it now, but had to hastily write up awkward bios of each skater to make things "fit" ...

12 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think the hypothesis on the street was that it was meant for Yuzu, but at the last minute someone and/or agent(s) intervened.

That's...why the description was clearly written for Yuzu, and of course they can't change it now, but had to hastily write up awkward bios of each skater to make things "fit" ...

it makes sense. Probably to throw us a bone after yet another scoring robbery at WC :/

They can't let the season end with the wrong narrative, can they?:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I had in mind a screenshot from another user, but my memory isn't the most reliable thing (understatement of the century:68556365:), so maybe I've mixed thigs up

I can't be sure, they say tickets won't be refundable under any circumstance, but maybe there's always the chance that if WC get cancelled by Swedish government there would be refunding, but from their wording I wouldn't trust them (I also wouldn't trust Sweden to make a similar call to Canada in similar situation). They do say that if event gets rescheduled, people that can't go just have to suck it up :shrug:

that makes sense:laughing:

Though I've read that, apparently, SOI US was actually well-attended around the Sochi quadriennium, so the fact that two WC golds + the 4 years of hype by media still couldn't fill arenas sounds...as if something in their carefully laid plans went awry

side note: today I set my vpn on US and while I'm not surprised that views of NBC GPF Nate > Yuzuru, it was endlessly hilarious that the views of Chock/Bates and their snake program were >>>> anyway, and without WRs and gold. True, an OGM in 2022 could change things, but the predictable spike in popularity is just that, a spike. They would need to feed it with new content to turn it into a consolidated plateau and that's hard, if your star is gonna go back to focus on their meds studies

another side note

Reveal hidden contents

right now I've got little sympathy to spare for those who, even if they didn't *ask* for the politicking&games done in their names, are still, at the end of the day, getting very practical benefits out of those very politicking&games. Benefits they accept maybe reluctantly(huge maybe), but they *still* do.

Of course I won't ever expect nor demand them to ever say "thanks, but no thanks" or to speak out if they think there's an issue. What they do is perfectly human. But I am human too. I owe them only basic civility and nothing more.

(Well, of course sometimes I also do have sympathy for some of those athletes, but I won't pretend to have sympathy for every single one of them, especially not while they're still in their honeymoon with fed&ISU.  On the other hand, I envy those of you who sincerely do. I don't understand it, but good for you, to have so much generosity inside you)

side note of the side note:

to me, civility includes, among others, patiently untagging skaters' accounts whenever "journalists" drag them in their attempts to polemize with fanyus. In general, keeping my manifestations of frustration in contexts that skaters can easily avoid, if they wish so

anyway, ISU couldn't have been more transparent than they have. Well, Ari's been campaigning for it since the scam awards were announced, but it's another level of baffling how ISU didn't bother to pick a description for the award that *could* really fit their Chosen One (like, idk, setting highest scores, being undefeated in one season) but instead... they just presented the nominees in  away that could justify their choice:smiley-laughing021:

and the Jully typo was funny (the other not so much)

as other have said, it's probably a mix.

• being and Asian
  • AND from an Asian Country (historically NA+Europe and Russia had the monopoly of FS, just look at all the OWG and WC podium and you'll get an idea about just how recent it is to have Asian countries medalling in the biggest comps, and how long and hard the road was...and still is)
  • he isn't signed with IMG or any other big agency. That means he's not as "profitable" as other skaters, and if he keeps winning and being on top there's no space to market those that have signed with them. I'm mentioning IMG in particular because in FS everyone and their mothers are signed with them. Ok, maybe not everyone, but it's true that the FS branch of IMG represents many (and I mean, MANY) coaches, athletes, even whole national feds and... ISU. Yeah, that's right. Now you see why Yuzu is not *as* profitable, despite selling out ISU arenas at comps

of course being managed by IMG doesn't mean skaters get it easy by default. Mao was with IMG....and yet she was never treated (read: scored) as the Chosen One (btw, there were rumours that IMG was somehow involved in what made Yuna leave TCC in 2010. But I wasn't around so I've only read about speculations on GS. For the record, Brian was IMG)

Also, signing with an agency (especially a big and powerful one) can mean that you surrender some of your freedom to them

(more about IMG and also other economic interests in FS by american media here)

Add to all of this broader economic&cultural backgorund that:

• Yuzuru is the worst nightmare for all those people that like to talk about tech vs art dichotomy. He excelles at both. That defies some consolidated narratives
  • his skating and his costumes (and why not, his appearance too) don't fit the western "image" of how Men's champions are supposed to look and skate (because he's pretty and he skates beautifully BUT he's ALSO a relentless beast always hungry for gold who can't be easily dismissed and ignored)

some additional broader historical context. These are not the talks of "mere" fans, but people who researched and published academic papers and books about FS&gender (mostly focusing on the era of 6.0, but some things haven't changed)

• Add that even in Japan Yuzuru is kind of an outsider (he didn't come from one of the "centres of power" of Japan FS), which means that within Japan he doesn't actually have much politicking to his name, aside what he's conquered through his results
  • also add some not-so-edifying episodes involving previous JSF president Hashimoto (let's put it like this: Yuzu was not her favest fave...which, all in all, is a blessing):slinkaway:

And pretty likely there's more...

So, there are multiple complex factors at play, some regarding Yuzu as a Japanese, some Yuzu as just *himself* (and some merely being that USFSA found their own horse for the OWG race). IMO we can roughtly sum everything up as Yuzu blurring certain lines, breaking certain sterotypes and, ultimately, disturbing certain interests

(oh, and he hasn't been gracious enough to just step aside even after the second OGM)

back to more pleasant things:

working to bring it to 10 millions:biggrin: 930.000 views to go:biggrin: :biggrin:

(now, if only watchin Yuzu vids could be my real work...:sigh:)

aww, the bb Romeo that Yuzu didn't want to let die:laughing: and the very skate that impressed Shun so much:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

And a few years later, Shun got a gold medal under his senpai's proud gaze, skating to a RJ program set to the music of Yuzu'sRJ2 :10636614:

Re: Sweden

Reveal hidden contents

disclaimer: I haven't followed their situation in detail, but afaik (source: and Italian professor living in Sweden) the model they had adopted had predicted around 2000 victims, and thus far they've topped 5000. Of course compared to Italy, France, Belgium and UK, they did much better, despite not locking down. But they certainly fared much much worse than the neighboring countries that, instead, chose a more proactive approach. In terms of lethality, they did worse than Germany, too. The plan was protecting at risk population while letting the not-at-risk mostly go about their lives, but they didn't manage the former as well as they had planned. And their economy didn't emerge totally unscathed either, since it still too interconnected with the rest of Europe.

Looking at social&cultural habits (trusting their scientists for starters) + density, I can see why they thought a soft approach would be good enough (it would have never worked in here, and even there it didn't work as well as they had expected).

Still, I don't think that leaving most of the burdern on individual responsability would be a fireproof approach. Not all people *do* something just because you've asked them nicely (and some people don't even when, instead of asking, you demand). And when you have something like FS comp, with people from all over the world all gathering in the same place for a week and then going back, you have a giant incubator that's ready to explode, unless you take some serious measures. can Sweden take those measures? Who knows.

(Also, same source as above, apparently in Sweden there aren't many ICUs?)

btw, re: lower lethality because younger population gets tested

in Italy we saw a similar thing, average age lowering and milder sympthoms. Now, some people took this as "ah! Everyone, let's celebrate, now covid isn't dangerous anymore! Yay!!!" (then one man acted based on the belief covid wasn't serious... and ended in ICU. Alas. I hope he isn't dragging anyone else with him, he sure as heck tried his best to be a Typhoid Mary)

Of course till we don't know why, exactely, new cases are milder (could be just because they are found and treated earlier, which means that we need to stay alert)

I've read that there' the chance T cells could be involved in how body fights sars-cov2, some kind of cross protection thanks to previous encounters with other coronaviruses, resulting in milder infections. Apparently (I don't know if true, people commenting on social awork recently published said so) T cells response is stronger in younger people, also in women compared to men, and declines with age. There's hypothesis that T cells might give some kind of cross protection agaisnt reinfection too even without anticorps, so situation might not be so gloomy even without a vaccine. But of course more datas and more studies are needed.

It's both fascinating and terrifying to see medical knowledge progress alongside a pandemic

I had read a hint about the agents problem but I haden't imagined the extent of it, and your explanation makes things show so logical!

And there, what are the links between IMG and Ari Zakarian?

29 minutes ago, LadyLou said:
  •  

As far as the Awards show specifically goes, this is the most likely reason. When in doubt, follow the money, after all.  The other reasons probably factor in more in things like scoring issues and so on.

38 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Javier can be written Xavier, but in Spanish or Basque (it is a Basque name, which etymology is "etcheberry", meaning "the new house" or "the large house" or "the house in good condition", a very common Basque name; it was the name of the feudal domain of St Francis Xavier's father, their family name being de Jasso) it is pronounced sort of "kh", a hard "h", or sometimes "sh", but not "x". In French, though, it is usually pronounced "x" (not the only phonetic difference in the name), in some regions even it becomes s.

The coincidence being, that St Francis Xavier was the first evangelist of Japan and seems to have fallen in love with the country, while the first embassy from Japan to Spain set out from Sendai (sent by its founder Date Masamune) — and there are still descendants of part of the crew in Coro de los Ríos, near Seville, some 700 of whom still bear the name Japón.

This is one more reason for me to be moved by the "Yuzuvier" friendship, sorry if it is a bit out of topic.:love:

Lovely, ty

Tho I was actually aware of the variations.

It just always struck me as funny that there'd be an obvious pause where the commentators would check their notes for the skaters names and still get it wrong. And Javier is such a common name. Ah well still better than Tara and Johnny.