General Yuzuru Chat

Make no mistake, Nathan and his team DO ask for all of these accolades & media attention...I'm sure it all happens (mostly) behind the scenes but he isn't represented by a famous sports agency for no reason, and the NA/US newspapers aren't extolling his virtues because figure skating is so popular here. 

There's nothing wrong with that, most skaters have to capitalize strategically on their fleeting years at the top of the sport. But please, he's not sitting at home upset "oh no why are they talking about me so positively when Yuzu is so much better" pls gimme a break

Just now, lynnidolz said:

What if this is some evil genius isu idea to rile up Yuzuru fans so that we keep talking about the awards  before its happen than annouced he is actually the winner just to get more of his fan talking post wards also..

We'll ignore it anyway! :mad:

Let's watch CiONTU instead of the awards at the same time. In a week. If we need to, we'll fill it with other Yuzu content!

Sorry but I'll never buy that these mistakes and dubious choices are purely random when they are pretty much always in disfavor of Asian skaters. Butchering Yuzuru's name? Check. Forgetting & reducing his biggest achievements in his bio? Check. Boyang erasure about the "first 4-quad program" claim? Check. No nomination for S/H who have the best record of any skaters this season? Check.

At best, it's microaggressions and implicit bias. I don't give 2 cents about the awards but it says a lot about the mind of the people working at the ISU.

This is the only post I will do on the pandemic, but I'm bringing up a situation of which many might not be aware.  Right now in the United States there is an explosion of new cases, particularly in those states that have 'opened up'.  The media here are having a field day in citing these figures and concluding that things should not have opened up so soon.  What they are ignoring is the fact that there is not a corresponding spike in fatalities.  The reason?  The overwhelming number of those now certified as being Covid-19 infected are those who are young and healthy, those who were overlooked earlier when testing wasn't so widespread.  They are the ones who do not require extreme quarantining to deal with the virus.  What's the significance?  In many respects lockdowns weren't even required.  Just firmly isolate those who are most vulnerable (the elderly and immuno-compromised) and let the rest of the population deal with it just as they deal with the seasonal flu and common cold.  It also means that, if combined with mask-wearing, many public events can proceed as normal.  Remember the audience at 4CC this year.  You had to look hard to find someone there who wasn't wearing a mask.  The vast majority in the stands were probably Korean but there was no subsequent spike in South Korea after the competition.  I am of the opinion that even now travel restrictions can be largely removed and that for activities like figure skating things can be returned to business as usual.  This doesn't mean that all preventive measures should be discontinued, but I do think lockdowns are not needed now and that the emphasis should be on getting things back on track.  Certainly I am hoping that we can get things back on ice as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, lynnidolz said:

I hate to say this but do u guys think because Yuzuru is from an Asian country is why  the reason their trying so much to undermine his achievement? Sorry if this question inappropriate.I will delete this

big sigh....i honestly tend to agree with @rockstaryuzu,althought being japanese and being chinese/american still makes a big difference .

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Here's the graph for confirmed cases per million inhabitants. As you can see, Sweden has the highest number of any European country:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statista.com/chart/amp/21176/covid-19-infection-density-in-countries-most-total-cases/

And this topic is derailing the forum, so that's the last I'm going to say about it. 

I really want to go(not planning the whole event,I just hope i can buy individual events ticket)but yep I'm a little bit worried too.

1 hour ago, EternalSpin said:

:rofl3:

Anyhow on the 11th of Jully i'll watch Ciontu for sure

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

Did we have "Yuruzu" in the name butcher bingo card yet?

Terry Gannon of NBC got tongue twisted and called Yuzu “Yuruzu” as he was stepping off the ice after his Olympic debut in the team event at Sochi.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Let's watch CiONTU instead of the awards at the same time. In a week. If we need to, we'll fill it with other Yuzu content!

I have unsubscribed from all ISU Skating accounts, and will rely on this forum for any relevant ISU news or videos.   Looking forward to watching the CiOntu Streaming party instead.  @yuzuangel  thank you for organizing the streaming!

54 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Sorry but I'll never buy that these mistakes and dubious choices are purely random when they are pretty much always in disfavor of Asian skaters. Butchering Yuzuru's name? Check. Forgetting & reducing his biggest achievements in his bio? Check. Boyang erasure about the "first 4-quad program" claim? Check. No nomination for S/H who have the best record of any skaters this season? Check.

At best, it's microaggressions and implicit bias. I don't give 2 cents about the awards but it says a lot about the mind of the people working at the ISU.

Yeah, same. Outrage marketing works a little too well unfortunately :v

...also agree with those who say that Nate realized his complicity in this whole situation — it flatters him (and handed on a silver platter too!) so why wouldn't he savor it while it last??? (As hollow as it actually is....)

Salaries and benefits for 14.7 ISU Employed staff in 2016  was Euro 2 million, an average of 134000 each. Total financial assets euro 225 million. And they can’t employ efficient staff to put out and proof read a bio on the most important figure skater ever. It’s a calculated insult which they already pulled off by completely omitting Yuzuru’s details in Torino GPF event program bio and repeating another skaters details instead.