General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Fay said:

Guys, please, don’t be naive, the whole Award circus was set up to gain back the North American markets, not reward some real achievements, so what did you expect? Just ignore it. Nothing can diminish Yuzuru Hanyu and his achievements. 

The thing is, it isn't going to. If the actual sport in all its greatness and beauty can't attract viewers, an awards show/Ari Zakarian vanity project ain't gonna do it no matter how they massage the bios. 

Anyway, at this point they're practicing 'outrage marketing' (it's a thing, trust me). They're deliberately trying to stir up the hornet's nest of angry fanyus by slighting Yuzu in order to draw attention. It's a sleazy, cheap trick. 

Ugh. Sweden's virus arc has not been good. I don't feel at all comfortable with the idea of having World's there even if it's a year away. Let's hope there's a vaccine by that time. 

4 hours ago, TallyT said:

Maybe someone realised that the sheer downplaying of the People Who Shouldn't Be More Popular But Are was a bit too crude, and people were retweeting it all over the place and making an even bigger mockery of Ari's Super Special Show.

That's the silver lining.

I mean, we can have whatever personal feelings we can/want (I personally, have already been very long into despise for that whole Awards b...s..., I am at no risk to get short of that feeling thanks to French author Chateaubriand's wise advice "to give one's despise with parsimony, because of the great numbers of the needy" and being unable to despise a human being) about the offence made (I would rather say, meant to be made) to the greatest ever skater, who is in addition a wonderful person and whom we love.

But taking things rationally, it shows so blatantly how biased they are! It's not as if they should give some half-argument, here they really give us a good weapon against themselves, and by their own will, nobody needed to show them a bait. I am greatly satisfied. This will always be handy in any "debate" with pro-Chen (or other haters) trolls.

PLUS, I am really relieved if Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't have to deal with those awards, if he can just ignore them as they deserve. Because, if he's named for an infamous "award", he cannot ignore it as it comes from ISU; or he may hamper the future of JSF in ISU. It is not as if he was the only possible retaliated (then he has no hesitation to challenge, as we could witness several times). Of course, not having to be present for some ceremony, it would be easier in any case to send some double-sided shading thanks.

I am much more concerned for poor Nathan Chen, who has asked for nothing, nor intrigued in any way, who is not a "valuable skater" in terms of economy and attracting a new public only by the fault of ISU who didn't let him grow as a complete skater, "second only to legend Yuzuru Hanyu and (with a big dose of furbish) his worthy successor but still younger and less experienced" and made him to undeservedly outscore Yuzuru Hanyu, certainly to Nathan Chen's greater distress (Yuzuru Hanyu has more inner resource to face this injustice; and anyway, such sort of injustice is usually rather easier to face when directed against oneself than when one benefit of it, isn't it?)

Because, you know, if judges were more fair, yes he would never be first, but he would be second and would still motivate Yuzuru Hanyu (for instance in acquiring quad Lutz), and he would be so much better as a whole and pleasant to watch. He would be at ease with himself and the world, of course emulated by Yuzuru Hanyu, and certainly too, hugely popular not only among American fans, and able to attract a new public and new skaters, and he would certainly sell merch and seats and TV rights much more than he does now.

5 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I am much more concerned for poor Nathan Chen, who has asked for nothing, nor intrigued in any way, who is not a "valuable skater" in terms of economy and attracting a new public only by the fault of ISU who didn't let him grow as a complete skater, "second only to legend Yuzuru Hanyu and (with a big dose of furbish) his worthy successor but still younger and less experienced" and made him to undeservedly outscore Yuzuru Hanyu, certainly to Nathan Chen's greater distress (Yuzuru Hanyu has more inner resource to face this injustice; and anyway, such sort of injustice is usually rather easier to face when directed against oneself than when one benefit of it, isn't it?)

I am worried about Nathan too... if he does receive the award, there will be a lot of hate directed towards him that he doesn't deserve :/ 

On to a more positive note: I don't use TikTok but someone on the facebook Yuzu fan group says Yuzu has 44.6million views!! (His hashtag, not his own account) And on the chinese version of the app (Douyin) he has 760million :loveshower: I still have no idea how to make a Weibo account but his Weibo fanpage has 894K followers as of now <3 

50 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

Yes i know the awards its not important and they probably will give it to Nathan but the incorrect info and downplaying his achievement what bother me the most

29 minutes ago, Neenah said:

That is exactly what I meant. The award itself in not important. What is important is what they are using it for, building a narrative around N.C. to make him the undisputed favourite for the Olympics. They are basically building him up to be bigger than he really is just like they built up his PCs. Both are artificial and unbelievable, but also both will be used by the media and fans to defend any controversial results.

...and how many of the gullible newbies who got this narrative stream first will come around and realize the truth? What's also concerning is that there would be a considerable amount of these first time fans that might dig their heel deeper rather than reckoning the truth when it is shown to them. We cannot just let that happen — especially if one claims to care for the truth, honesty and integrity.

Oh, come on, stop crying on Chen`s shoulder, guys! He is not some slave who has no saying in the doings of the people arround him! He likes it because he accepts it, that`s all! He is a fully grown up not some teen at the mercy of his tutors! He accepted the aggressive PR game pre-Oly and he refused to be present at the gala, remember? So, they deserve each other, ISU and his fave, there, they are in it together! I know, we have to behave, to be polite, but it seems that class act is for some just a sign of stupidity. Ok, we will behave, but are not going to kid ourselves.

Just now, Figure_Frenzy said:

...and how many of the gullible newbies who got this narrative stream first will come around and realize the truth? What's also concerning is that there would be a considerable amount of these first time fans that might dig their heel deeper rather than reckoning the truth when it is shown to them. We cannot just let that happen — especially if one claims to care for the truth, honesty and integrity.

Those newcomers either get eyes and keep them open and judge for themselves who is better  - or we shouldn’t worry about them. I am ok with anyone preferring Nathan to Yuzu, honestly. A

I respect Chen and his skating, but having the ISU blatantly putting down Yuzu just to make Chen look better is disgusting. Having said that, Nathan doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he gets. I don't have a link, but there are a few instances where he knows that he's been overscored and he honestly seemed a bit guilty about it, even if it's not his fault- the judges are the ones who should be blamed here. Even if he tried to negotiate, the ISU would probably do nothing- he, like Yuzu, is kind of like another tool in the shed to get views.

1 hour ago, IULIANA said:

Oh, come on, stop crying on Chen`s shoulder, guys! He is not some slave who has no saying in the doings of the people arround him! He likes it because he accepts it, that`s all! He is a fully grown up not some teen at the mercy of his tutors! He accepted the aggressive PR game pre-Oly and he refused to be present at the gala, remember? So, they deserve each other, ISU and his fave, there, they are in it together! I know, we have to behave, to be polite, but it seems that class act is for some just a sign of stupidity. Ok, we will behave, but are not going to kid ourselves.

I very well know "there is one thing (...) which a man can always do, if he choses, and that is, his duty" (Emma, chap.18) but here 1) we have already discussed what he could do and how it would both crush his medical career perspectives (even his health : his injuries will always need support and in US it is not granted), of course his skating career (while he is a great skater, it would be a loss), and this to little or no avail; 2) he is not "manoeuvring and finessing" like Mr Knightley suspects Frank Churchill to be doing; 3) though major of age, he is really dependent on his mother and she has a strong will, if we believe his coach Rafael Arutyunyan; 4) he doesn't have a dominant character, like Mr Knightley or... Yuzuru Hanyu, and this is neither a fault nor to his reach, he is like that (and that seems to have been Daisuke Takahashi's main problem, by the way). When I see "must protecc' at all costs" about Yuzuru Hanyu, but really... :doh: Of course he is very grateful for any help but he's in command, he knows what he's doing and does what he wants (and not whimsically, always thoughtfully and listening to others' advice). Nathan Chen has more a character of an excellent second, helpful, intelligent but needing somebody to tell him what to do. I hope he can survive this ordeal.

36 minutes ago, yuzuru_hanyu_is_an_angel said:

I respect Chen and his skating, but having the ISU blatantly putting down Yuzu just to make Chen look better is disgusting. Having said that, Nathan doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he gets. I don't have a link, but there are a few instances where he knows that he's been overscored and he honestly seemed a bit guilty about it, even if it's not his fault- the judges are the ones who should be blamed here. Even if he tried to negotiate, the ISU would probably do nothing- he, like Yuzu, is kind of like another tool in the shed to get views.

well, his recent interviews say otherwise

I don't think its just ISU who push the narrative about Nathan, but also his federation and his agent -IMG. Its not out of nowhere that Yale come up everytime people mention his name. Alot of his PR articles in Japan have the same formula - tie his name tightly with Yuzuru, and Yale yale yale. He's not a naive kid, no elite athletes are. He doesn't do it directly but he's ok or don't care that people around him doing so, so I don't get why some people feel the need to play the victim card for him

What puzzles me is the sheer stupidity of the ISU in regards to Yuzu.  He's the biggest cash cow they've ever had.  His presence in a competition guarantees a sell-out and since they sell whole-competition tickets before single event ones, it means that the whole competition is sold out.  His presence in a competition also guarantees higher ratings because there are huge numbers of people who might not watch the proceedings if it weren't for him.  His presence also means that there  are a ton of hotel rooms booked that wouldn't have been otherwise, and tons of restaurant meals served  that wouldn't have been otherwise.  It also means concessions at the arena would see higher numbers because he's in the arena.  It means that there will be a higher number of journalists there (not just Japanese because the media know that Yuzu is popular well beyond the Japanese isles) who wouldn't be there.  In Japan, of course, Yuzu rules.  (I think one of the reasons Daisuke was able to console himself with Yuzu's taking the spotlight in Japan is realizing that how can one hope to compete against a GOAT).  Beyond Japan Yuzu has a higher profile than any other skater in any of the four disciplines.  If I were the ISU I would dread the day when Yuzu announces his retirement because he's the goose that lays the golden eggs.

A final note - When Yuzu retires the market for Pooh plushies will crash.

I suppose some of this could play in Yuzuru‘s favour if he goes for the 3rd OGM. This pressure and expectation on Nathan is again building as Beijing approaches. He knows he is bolstered above his true abilities. Yuzu has dealt with constant pressure for years, and still performs consistently (only Gold and Silver finishes for years now). He came back from serious injury and enforced abstention from competition to win Gold at Olys and Silver (with an amazing FS performance) at Saitama worlds. This important pre-season is likely to be pretty limited, if it happens at all. Not the best preparation for the challenger to the Olympic crown. A healthy (and even unhealthy!) Yuzuru is always in with a good chance of winning gold at the Olys, and with his greater experience of pressure, expectation, many years of consistency, and experience of significant gaps in competition only to come back with amazing performances puts him in a very good place as a contender. Plus he loves feeling as if his back is against the wall, and ISU’s preferential treatment of Nate will just reinforce the strength of this feeling. Nathan meanwhile might struggle with the Covid- enforced hiatus, and some sense of awkwardness or even guilt at the erasing of Yuzuru’s legacy to his (Nate’s) benefit, and when Beijing arrives he has to face his rival, the 2 time Olympic champ - no matter how unfairly Yuzu has been scored, if Yuzu performs and Nathan again cracks under the weight of expectation, Yuzuru could well be the (very deserving) victor. Plus, murder face !!
(I know other skaters will be there challenging too! Don’t wish to erase Boyang, Shoma, Yuma, Mikhail, Dmitri etc...) 

Ah it’s a bit of a ramble, sorry!! :joy:

8 hours ago, memae said:

I just went onto the ISU website to check the profiles in their entirety and they aren't up for the MVS award so I'm guessing they've been taken down to have some editing done. 

That had better be the case, because the 'drafts' are unacceptable and obscene in their erasure of the GOAT achievements!!:mad0066: