General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I won't buy the "most embarrassingly infected" story, though.

There are countries far worse-off than US, usually for a similar reason (too much power of Big Pharma). But US tend to think themselves as first everywhere, while French people tend to think they are "unrecognised first". So do I. :peace: (French numbers are the most visibly "worked", but in fact I doubt real French numbers are worse than Belgian ones. Our only real first place must be in the proportion of undetected cases among "developed" countries, for lack of testing except one day mid-April and two weeks in early May.) What I'll admit to you (if one can believe video reports) is a greater lack of social distancing, particularly since a few weeks. We've had it in France too, but probably not to that extent. And the hopes are not wonderful as both our countries have "bought" one more "medicine" narrative.

(Very tempted to send a photo of what NYT called a "bromance" but I thought it would become too political.)

I'm afraid it is a Canadian wife (or husband) who is in demand at the moment, nevertheless. :graucho: (Sorry, this I couldn't resist.)

And as says @IceWings, if they let in somebody from the US, then they can let in, maybe not from everywhere, but at least from Japan (and particularly Tohoku) or South Korea, who are managing things so much better.

@fyere0 I tend to think she is essential to his living in Canada, but may not be accepted as such.

Of course I'm sure there would be a great many candidates willing to take an unpaid leave to prepare him Japanese food as planned by his nutritionist and wash his laundry and go and watch him at TCC, but he also needs peace of mind. :jester:

I do claim "sickest" and "worst response" for the the United States. In Arizona alone, we have a higher per capita infection rate than even Brazil.  The US has 4% of the world population and 25% of the deaths. Believe me, I am not proud - but alarmed.  It's like living in a prolonged dystopian nightmare.

Ok, I was not expecting good ol' recommendation letters to be the real reason Jason could return to Canada😶😅 

Eta: it looks like he wasn't the only skater who did this. I suppose borders officials are given some discretion in deciding which reasons are "good enough" to cross the border

In these circumstances, it makes all the more sense that Yuzuru might not even want to ask JSF to take this kind of initiative and he would, instead, prefer to just stay wherever he is (which now we know it's his cave in Japan:biggrin:). I hope he manages to lay low has he's done thus far:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:  also, comforting to know he&mama Hanyu spent these past months, so full of uncertainties and dread, "close" to their loved ones. I hope they are all fine 

11 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Ok, I was not expecting good ol' recommendation letters to be the real reason Jason could return to Canada😶😅 

Eta: it looks like he wasn't the only skater who did this. I suppose borders officials are given some discretion in deciding which reasons are "good enough" to cross the border

This is especially true for the US-Canada land border. Those border agents have a lot of discretion. It's not surprising to me that he had one border agent who rejected him and another who allowed him in. Good for him for trying again, but sucks it didn't work the first time.

2 hours ago, barbara said:

I do claim "sickest" and "worst response" for the the United States. In Arizona alone, we have a higher per capita infection rate than even Brazil.  The US has 4% of the world population and 25% of the deaths. Believe me, I am not proud - but alarmed.  It's like living in a prolonged dystopian nightmare.

:offtopic2:

Spoiler

To remain in that morbid "humour" (in France, we say "mieux vaut en rire qu'en pleurer" : better to laugh of it than to weep), should we have the same (proportional of course) number and timing in tests as USA (that is something I grant you we can envy), I am 100% sure we would have more official cases than you (per million inhabitants).

By the way, and though it would be better in the dedicated topic, I have found a link to the nice graphics of an institution whose existence I ignored, which now depends from ECDC but which seems to "work seriously".

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

One can see that the worst affected of these countries was Spain (I'll admit they started just like France, with irresponsible politicians publicly violating — and boasting — any social distancing good sense, had even worse hospital structure as us — like Italy who was rather unlucky at the beginning, but later Italy accepted China's help and managed to stop the epidemic faster, saving thousands lives) closely followed by England (but Wales were less hit, Scotland no more than average and Northern Ireland was nearly unaffected), then the trio France, Belgium and, surprisingly, Netherlands who managed to "conceal" the real level of contamination and probable CoViD-deaths (I didn't suspect it at least).

In France, only the third largest city, who have an infectiology institute with two of the most quoted infectiologists in the world, who managed (with very little means and under still pending threats of many "institutions" and the government) to test widely and treat the positive cases, didn't have a pike in deaths.

Now the epidemic is finished (we are at an endemic level) but US started weeks later AND we didn't have the blatant breaches in social distancing the US have had recently.

It would be nice to compare these graphs with US.

Ah, and we can see too, that Sweden, who neither confined nor did proper testing, was less affected than confined countries who didn't do proper testing either (but, of course, more affected than countries who tested enough, even if these confined).
Judging by numbers, clearly Arizona is far from getting out of the epidemic — without being into an explosion either, but I see a trend to a rise.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/arizona/

N.B.: this may looks political but in fact, apart from France, Spain, Germany and a little UK (England and Wales only in fact), I have little idea of the (real or supposed) "colour" of the governments, and I have never managed to understand US politics, so I am just observing graphs and remembering some events.

I wish you are safe and will remain so, and can work nevertheless!

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

Maybe there's someone working that border crossing who is a figure skating fan. you never know. 

But, I, too, was visualizing Jason using his Sunshine Beam Smile* power and his charm to convince the border agent to let him through

*now available in Lemon Fresh scent. Patent pending. 

5 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Yeah as far as I know Grafstrom is the only triple Olympic champion! Although during his time, I think figure skating would have looked very, very different from present-day figure skating.

And yes, it must be amazing for the Hanyu family to get to spend so much time together, I think since 2012 when Yuzu started training in Canada? 

if I'm not wrong Grafstrom 1st medal was during the summer games...winter games weren't a thing yet.Still pretty impressive of course.

4 hours ago, Veveco said:

Happy Hakama Day everyone (also known as the day Yuzu received the People's Honor Award and blessed us with one of his best looks :animated-smileys-character-075:)

ah lovely day indeed!

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

It does make sense he chose pink, I think it would have matched the vibe of the programme better :cheer: Pink would suit springtime much more than blue :nod2:

Side note: every time I use these Yuzu emoticons I wonder what he would think if he is actually reading this forum and comes across these... For all we know he could be reading this right now and we will never know...

I'm willing to bet he thinks of new and interesting faces he can make for us to use. In some ways, that lad is all about the fan service, and I'm sure he gets a good laugh out of some of the silly things we say here. 

8 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Boys name number 1 and 4 have 翔 which means fly high/soar. The kanji has feather 羽 in it. [...] 翔 has been very popular name for boys for years (1st & 2nd most popular name during Heisei era has 翔 kanji) 

Like Sho Sakurai (櫻井 翔, Sakurai Shō) one of the singers in the pop idol group Arashi. He is also a newscaster and interviewed Yuzu for the OG

:clapclap4:

I 've recently fallen down the Arashi rabbit hole, never to be seen again.

8 часов назад, Aydmen сказал:

Everyone, I love Yuzu and think he's amazing, but he's also 25. He should be able to start learning to live on his own by now xD

I think his mom not only keeps the household together but maybe also has some kind of a manager's work. And I'm sure Yuzu has a lot of requests, so it'll be too time consuming to do everything himself. Though maybe her psychological support is the most important.

42 minutes ago, Lunna said:

I think his mom not only keeps the household together but maybe also has some kind of a manager's work. And I'm sure Yuzu has a lot of requests, so it'll be too time consuming to do everything himself. Though maybe her psychological support is the most important.

Brian has mentioned in passing (in interviews)  that she is pretty helpful at TCC too, although he was speaking in generalities. 

1 hour ago, Lunna said:

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Brian has mentioned in passing (in interviews)  that she is pretty helpful at TCC too, although he was speaking in generalities. 

Yuzu has been vocal about how much his mother's help, and especially her looking after his nutritional requirements, has been so important to him.  I am certain he is perfectly capable to looking after himself - but he is not a regular 25 yr old (when my son was 25, he took care of all his needs, but ate a regular diet of tuna quesadillas that kept him full and alive but hardly optimum for health).  Yuzuru is a full time elite athlete and a student, living in a foreign country.  By looking after the everyday needs (and, I think you guys are right about helping with the managerial duties), his mother frees Yuzu up to concentrate on his training, his competitions and his academics.  And, he is not socially active so his home is his center.  It offers freedom and balance and psychological support. There is no way to over-estimate how crucial Mama Hanyu has been to Yuzu's success.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

Yuzu has been vocal about how much his mother's help, and especially her looking after his nutritional requirements, has been so important to him.  I am certain he is perfectly capable to looking after himself - but he is not a regular 25 yr old (when my son was 25, he took care of all his needs, but ate a regular diet of tuna quesadillas that kept him full and alive but hardly optimum for health).  Yuzuru is a full time elite athlete and a student, living in a foreign country.  By looking after the everyday needs (and, I think you guys are right about helping with the managerial duties), his mother frees Yuzu up to concentrate on his training, his competitions and his academics.  And, he is not socially active so his home is his center.  It offers freedom and balance and psychological support. There is no way to over-estimate how crucial Mama Hanyu has been to Yuzu's success.

I hate to admit, and yes I know he's a grown man, but I worry about his asthma. I'd heard reports that last season he was wearing not one, but two heart monitors, presumably to track his asthma.

He's an elite athlete, so he's in peak physical condition, but still I'm glad there's someone living with him to keep an eye on his health, especially with the ongoing covid crisis. Please protect the precious boy, mama Hanyu.

:snonegai: