General Yuzuru Chat

In case anyone here is considering to take part in this:
Patinage Magazine has started crowdfunding earlier this month to survive its economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 situation. As rewards for donations, they offer original items such as diaries using the images of a skater or sets of skaters' photos as well as digitized Patinage Magazines. However, last weekend, the agent of Shoma and Daisuke Takahashi, whose images are used for the rewards announced that PM hadn't gotten permission to use the images either from them or from JSF. (JSF is managing the image rights of their skaters except the ones used for news reporting purpose) PM is also using images of Yuzu and other Japanese ladies, and given that they had not contacted JSF first, it is highly likely that the items using images of them have the same issue. So if you are considering donating because of the rewards, check on the news section of their crowdfunding page first to see how the situation has progressed and make sure you will get the reward.

8 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Patinage Magazine has started crowdfunding earlier this month to survive its economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 situation. As rewards for donations, they offer original items such as diaries using the images of a skater or sets of skaters' photos as well as digitized Patinage Magazines. However, last weekend, the agent of Shoma and Daisuke Takahashi, whose images are used for the rewards announced that PM hadn't gotten permission to use the images either from them or from JSF. (JSF is managing the image rights of their skaters except the ones used for news reporting purpose) PM is also using images of Yuzu and other Japanese ladies, and given that they had not contacted JSF first, it is highly likely that the items using images of them have the same issue. So if you are considering donating because of the rewards, check on the news section of their crowdfunding page first to see how the situation has progressed and make sure you will get the reward.

As it is a French magazine, do you think it may be useful to translate your post in French in the French thread of the International section? I could do it.

2 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

As it is a French magazine, do you think it may be useful to translate your post in French in the French thread of the International section? I could do it.

Thank you. I would appreciate it.:thanks:

3 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Taiwanese version of Aoi Honoo. I guess this is a collectors edition? Looks cool!

https://www.kadokawa.com.tw/event_detail539.htm

Wow, that's really pretty. Maybe one day it'll be translated into English. :14066882:

38 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

This is so sad, the COVID situation has taken out some of my favorite small businesses from around the world. They're really struggling, and many of them won't return. It is a little sad that PM magazine can't use their own images of skaters (I didn't know you needed permission from the subject to publish images you own, otherwise why would tabloids have unflattering images of anyone?), but I'm sure they don't want to get on the bad side of any skaters. 

19 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Just asking for a friend, but my friend wonders if she´s the only one who´s very very curious about Yuzuru´s new programs for the 20-21 season. 

Ps: that friend might be me 

You're asking far too early, you know that, right? It's a top secret anyway. 

2 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

We could do it as a fan project...

It has already been done by a fanyu, who proposes her translation if you send her a proof you have bought the book (I suppose it can be the Taiwanese version).

Sorry, I don't have the link, I think it was given here? Months ago.

What would be even nicer, is the "real, paper book" (or two...) in an English translation.

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Wow, that's really pretty. Maybe one day it'll be translated into English. :14066882:

This is so sad, the COVID situation has taken out some of my favorite small businesses from around the world. They're really struggling, and many of them won't return. It is a little sad that PM magazine can't use their own images of skaters (I didn't know you needed permission from the subject to publish images you own, otherwise why would tabloids have unflattering images of anyone?), but I'm sure they don't want to get on the bad side of any skaters. 

Ichiroya.com for instance, from Osaka, who used to retail old kimonos and bolts etc, and to send them abroad, ceased their trade last week. :disappointed:

They are still managing the current orders, but don't take new ones.

Edit : Monchan posted this about English translation of Aoi Honoo (p.5627) :

On 4/16/2020 at 4:37 AM, monchan said:

U need to buy the books to get access of full Eng trans by fans (aoi honoo 1 & 2).

Or u can read partial trans of some chaps here.

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I'm thinking about getting the Taiwanese version and I could try to translate it to English from there, but there's a high possibility some meanings would be lost between 2 translations

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

After all, tabloids are newspapers of a sort...:banginghead: I wish they get deprived of freedom of the press according to the percentage of fabrication and speculation in their articles...

As to Patinage Magazine, they were probably thinking the same as you do, and the interpretation of image rights and rights of publicity must vary from country to country, so I don't think they had bad intentions. However, I understand the response from Shoma and Dai's agent. From their point of view, PM is targeting their fans to raise money without their consent, and still continuing the crowdfunding after reaching their goal. When I searched on twitter by the magazine's name to know what was going on, most of the recent tweets were of their Japanese fans, so I guess they contributed a lot to the achievement, probably not just to get the reward but to show how much their favs are loved, and I think they deserve to know how these rewards were produced and how their favs think about them.

This COVID situation really sucks. I am also seeing my favorite shops and live music clubs I used to go closing... Hope PM will work this out to survive this.

ETA: By the way, when I find something to add to the what-happened-this-day list, how should I let you know? Should I just post in this thread or DM you or edit the list?

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Ichiroya.com for instance, from Osaka, who used to retail old kimonos and bolts etc, and to send them abroad, ceased their trade last week. :disappointed:

They are still managing the current orders, but don't take new ones.

Nooooooo - I’ve bought several lovely things from them :sad-smiley-046: