General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

If (unlike Robbe-Grillet) you are also beautiful and super-clever, you may be a mutant yourself? :animated-smileys-character-075:

About train timetable though, it was the SNCF ones, as shown on the picture. They had a "high reputation".

An example of these times :

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46982935725_71b6d02062_b.jpg

(a simplified version, I couldn't find "the real thing")

As to cram schools in Japan, it is the juku system, most pupils start it at primary school, and virtually all of them do it all along junior high and high schools, and sometimes one more year if they failed the entrance exams and sit in again.

It is considered so indispensable, that lately the government decided to fund juku for the poorer children, because they had no hope of any regular jobs if they didn't attend one, let alone entering a national (= elite) or public (they look like colleges) university.

Of course he couldn't attend any, and had much less time to study than his fellows, and was probably exhausted. Yet got the best marks and even passed the entrance exam of one of the two most selective private universities.

That's why I feign to pretend he's a mutant.

There was also that theory of clones. Maybe there was one Yuzu on ice and one Ru working only for school. But it couldn't have worked. He was both too active and too much in need of learning.

Think about how much time he must spend in airplanes. What else is there to do but study? I bet that's his big secret. 

24 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Think about how much time he must spend in airplanes. What else is there to do but study? I bet that's his big secret. 

Don't know about you guys but how does one study in a plane? The lighting is terrible and even if not for that I just can't focus and get headaches... :jaw:

9 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Don't know about you guys but how does one study in a plane? The lighting is terrible and even if not for that I just can't focus and get headaches... :jaw:

I find airplanes very conducive to serious concentration, especially for reading and writing, but everyone's going to be different. However, flights from Canada to Japan are long (13 hours plus), and you have to pass the time somehow. :shrug:

2 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

I can't be productive in a plane either. I get terrible headaches and I'm just generally uncomfortable for the whole journey so I try to be asleep as much as I can. :S

Confirmation that the border between US and Canada will remain shut for another month: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border-covid-extension-july-1.5613854  Note: obviously the US Is of most concern to Canadians because of the long border we share; however, as of last week when I checked, we aren't open to any country for non-essential travel.  I suspected it might take an exemption for a skater like Yuzu to be able to return, probably using a special study-type visa for athletes training (but not working) here.  International students, for example, will apparently be allowed in with certain restrictions, but I'm not sure how many would come, given that a fair number of classes will be online and the potential difficulties if Canada or their home had to go back on lockdown while they were here.  Certainly there's been talk over post-secondary institutions losing lots of money in the coming school year over the steep reduction of such students.  Regardless, since no foreign skaters who left for their homes afaik have returned yet to TCC, it makes me wonder if there has been no permission given to allow them to enter Canada.  Apparently a few NHL players got in to train under their work visas, but it's unclear whether one of the proposed NHL hub cities will be in Canada or not (obviously they''ve been pushing for one up here). 

Although it was mentioned in a similar news article that some border communities and tourism-related businesses are pushing for re-opening, I've seen almost no disagreement with this decision over the months.  It would be rank foolishness for us to open ourselves to foreign tourists (which would be mostly American) any time soon and to let our own people travel abroad and bring back COVID-19 as they did before.  It could easily undo all our hard work.  While I've no personal objection to a few elite athletes like Yuzu entering Canada as long as they quarantine like everyone else and follow other public health rules and guidelines, I don't know how many people are trying to enter using visas and whether that has strained the system (obviously I'm talking about more than just figure skaters here -- I mean basically any who use study-type visas) to the point where they just aren't processing many.

In short, if they are handing out exemptions, I will be happy to see Yuzu and others skate here again if they choose to come, but only if they feel it's safe and as I said before follow public health rules to the T (not that I worry about Yuzu and his Mom!).  COVID-19 although gradually declining in Ontario, is not gone and we have a long summer and fall ahead when many people are becoming more active.  We've already seen growth in younger Ontarians testing positive recently.  In fact Toronto and a couple other regions won't be moving into Stage 2 this Friday as planned.  With all that I can't blame any athlete who prefers to stay home, despite the challenges in long-distance coaching. 

I guess we'll be keeping an eye and out for signs of anyone returning to the roost or for new interviews with TCC coaches...

5 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

Same. And sometimes, I feel like I want to be him. It would be wonderful to have that level of belief in myself, and be able to swoop and fly across the ice like that.

Never had that thought, it would be nice to have that level of belief (and that drive for hardwork might be useful), but can't imagine to put so much pressure on myself at the same time.

4 часа назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

I find airplanes very conducive to serious concentration, especially for reading and writing, but everyone's going to be different. However, flights from Canada to Japan are long (13 hours plus), and you have to pass the time somehow. :shrug:

I usually take videos (films, TV series for a long flight) to pass the time, not comfortable environment for studying. I think Yuzu said he mostly tries to sleep. I sadly can't sleep on the planes (apart from very rare occasions when there're less people and you can lay down on a nearby seat).

14 hours ago, Melodie said:

I read somewhere that the socks he uses to store the medals are of super high quality (and price, but of course). Also, it is apparently common for Olympians to keep their medals in socks (or so Google said :grin:). 

I think Dobby, the house elf, would be delighted to see Yuzu keeping his greatest treasures in socks.

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

I usually take videos (films, TV series for a long flight) to pass the time, not comfortable environment for studying.

The last plane trip I took, I spent the whole time frantically folding origami cranes for giveaways to fanyus at SCI, so I guess you could say I find planes fairly comfortable. I also usually have no trouble sleeping, reading, or otherwise being productive, so I don't really find it difficult to imagine Yuzu studying or writing papers on a plane.  But no one can say for sure. 

38 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The last plane trip I took, I spent the whole time frantically folding origami cranes for giveaways to fanyus at SCI, so I guess you could say I find planes fairly comfortable. I also usually have no trouble sleeping, reading, or otherwise being productive, so I don't really find it difficult to imagine Yuzu studying or writing papers on a plane.  But no one can say for sure. 

I had only one occasion for studying on a plane, I had only that time to do it and my seat neighbours happened to be my beloved friends and neighbours who were just coming back from their first holidays abroad and very eager to share their experience.

When the teacher gave me back the test sheet a few days later, he expressed surprise. Not very pleased. And I was quite ashamed. But half laughing.

All in all, I suppose Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't sit hundreds hours in a plane yearly. Rather a good many dozens. It wouldn't be enough to study. Plus, as he has to manage jet-lag, he has to sleep part of the flight. If his neighbours are willing of course.

5 hours ago, Lunna said:

Never had that thought, it would be nice to have that level of belief (and that drive for hardwork might be useful), but can't imagine to put so much pressure on myself at the same time.

I think as Yuzu said himself, he thrives under pressure. He must be undergoing SO much pressure every single day - the hope of the entire nation, the knowledge that all eyes of the media are on him and expecting him to do well, fans from all over the world that traveled far just to watch him, the fact that he can't afford mistakes as he is already underscored even when he skates flawlessly, his own perfectionism... sooo many factors just related to his skating. And outside of skating he has the added pressure of his university studies, the pressure for him to appear perfect in front of the media+all the fan cameras on him every moment... I really don't know how he does all that! I just hope that he knows we all love him so much, whether he skates clean or not... and that this knowledge will give him some comfort.

Talking about Yuzu on planes... won't it be awkward if he happens to be seated near or even next to a fan, or someone who knows him?