General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I found the energy chart, 12% sugar, it must just be awful... to my palate at least. Be it honey or anything else.

It actually doesn't taste that sweet, especially when served on grilled smoked sausage. The honey just takes the edge off the sharpness of the mustard and makes for a warm taste instead of a hot one. 

6 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Oh yes. He did, in 2014. Students there wrote messages of support for Yuzu before Sochi, and Yuzu paid a surprise visit to say thanks.

I never paid attention because I didn't know this was his dad's school, but the man in the black suit who leads Yuzu into the gym actually looks rather like Mr. Hanyu. :D From the pictures and footage of him that exist, his height, build, and profile are similar. The camera carefully tries to avoid a clear view of this man's face, too. Maybe proud dad wanted to be the one to go 'ta-daaaa!' :D 

7 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Oh yes. He did, in 2014. Students there wrote messages of support for Yuzu before Sochi, and Yuzu paid a surprise visit to say thanks.

I could be wrong about this (and I suppose if I could read Japanese, there would be more clarity) but I thought this was a visit to a school that had been badly damaged during the earthquake and, in addition to the messages for Sochi they sent him, the re-building of the school was why he visited.  Something to cheer the students who had been through so much, But I might be wrong...

13 時間前, sweetwaterさんが言いました:

Thank you @sweetwater :tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

Yes, this is the video in my blur memory.

Just one correction in my previous post.  I checked again and noticed there was no comment whether the school his father is working is in Sendai, or other cities at present.  It surely is in Miyagi Prefecture as usually the teachers in public schools are hired by prefecture.

Sorry for unsure information.

EDIT:  The school in the video is in Ishinomaki City in Miyagi Prefecture.

Google translation  of an article

引用

(His father) is a strict educator who serves as the principal of Junior High School in Sendai. He acknowledged Hanyu's talent and hard work, but never spoiled him.”   There was a word that such a father had told Hanyu many times.   "No matter how hard it takes to practice the figure (skating), keep on studying (other things). In the future, I want you to become a first-class member of society before being a first-class player."

source

5 hours ago, barbara said:

I could be wrong about this (and I suppose if I could read Japanese, there would be more clarity) but I thought this was a visit to a school that had been badly damaged during the earthquake and, in addition to the messages for Sochi they sent him, the re-building of the school was why he visited.  Something to cheer the students who had been through so much, But I might be wrong...

I believe that you are right @barbara.. There is nothing mentioned in the video about his father being associated with the school. He was making a surprise visit to this school to thank them for their support during the Sochi Olympics.

I do not think that Yuzu and his father would arrange a visit to his father’s school. If anything, I would think that Yuzu would do everything to avoid involving his family in any of his televised events.

6 hours ago, barbara said:

You're right Barbara. Here is a longer video with English Sub:

8 minutes ago, IceWings said:

You're right Barbara. Here is a longer video with English Sub:

Yeah! I love being right (most of the time). I have watched a number of videos with Yuzu visiting badly damaged areas near his home and remember this visit - and the tweet translated to "Ishinomaki City Minato Junior High School". That school was demolished in the tsunami and many students died.  So sad.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

I believe that you are right @barbara.. There is nothing mentioned in the video about his father being associated with the school. He was making a surprise visit to this school to thank them for their support during the Sochi Olympics.

I do not think that Yuzu and his father would arrange a visit to his father’s school. If anything, I would think that Yuzu would do everything to avoid involving his family in any of his televised events.

:happy:

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

:happy:

14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh no! I'm firmly in the mustard and pickles camp and I can't stand cheese on a burger! Does this mean we can't be friends anymore :snbleh::lol:

The whole Hanyu family must be pretty great people to be willing to support Yuzu in his wild medal chase for so long. They've sacrificed a LOT. Not every family would do so much. 

That being said, I always think of that one interview with Yuzu's mom that I saw. I think was the interview with the Zigunerweissen costume design? Anyway, she said something like "I just wanted my son to keep busy, and Whoops! I had an Olympic athlete." i.e. even she was surprised...Kids! What are ya gonna do? Shouganai. :) 

I can get past the mustard/pickle thing.  We can just order separately.

And his family supporting him? Yes, lots of sacrifice, but as a mom of a son who is accomplished in his own field, I think they feel as I do - It's been my privilege and joy to support my son pursuing his dream.  If you're lucky enough to have someone with a gift and the drive to pursue it, the sacrifice is not a burden. The Hanyus have done so much for their son but I'm sure it has been without reservation and without regret.  

1 時間前, Geo1さんが言いました:

I confirmed again that his father was the vice-principal of the junior high school in the video until March 2014 (Japanese school term starts in April and ends in March).

So, it means this visit was made after his transfer and actually he did not appear in the video.  I think the support messages were sent while his father was in the post. 

7 hours ago, barbara said:

Yes, this school hit by the tsunami on 311. After all the students went home (though there was/were a student/students died in tsunami after they went home,) the tsunami flooded its first floor. Roughly one thousand people lived around the school took shelter in the school building, and it served as a shelter for survivors for the next six months. The students moved to another school and then to a temporary school building and came back to this school building in the spring of 2014. (Source) I think they came back after their school got restored, and it was the summer of the same year when Yuzu visited there, so I am not sure this visit has anything to do with rebuilding itself, but he must have wanted to cheer for them as well as to thank them.

@Geo1, I don't want to talk about this in detail since it would infringe on their privacy at some point, but it is true his father was working for this school. It is confirmed in other sources. 

As you can see from the video shared by Icewings, this visit didn't happen because his father was there. The footage was filmed for 24h TV and that year, they chose to visit Ishinomaki since it was in one of the areas close to the ocean and severely damaged. The school was one of the spots they visited, and it was connected to him with the support messages for him from its students.

ETA:

@IceWings Thank you for the video! All the other full videos I've bookmarked has been deleted or taken down so I was looking for snippets on twitter and trying to translate it. The video also clarified something that wasn't clear in a text I refered.