General Yuzuru Chat

32 minutes ago, Fay said:

From Tolkien we strayed into soups. Excellent. :D 

The drought is deep and long. Next thing you know we'll be talking about the various brands of crystal beads that Satomi puts on Yuzu's costumes, or something...

2 hours ago, Ladysci said:

Salted cherry blossoms are a great taste accent for sweets, kind of like the idea of salt in caramel. It looks pretty and spring-like. For example, in sweet bean paste buns (like a pan) and once I had it as an accent in flan with kuromitsu ( brown sugar syrup), yummy! 

They sound wonderful but I've never seen them for sale. It's not something that would be easy to find in North American shops, I suspect. 

On 6/14/2020 at 7:27 AM, TallyT said:

I'm wildly impressed by people who translate really densely imaginary language. Mind you, my greatest awe is for the people who have translated one single poem.

Jabberwocky.

If that can be done.... anything can.

In linguistics we often use translated forms of Jabberwocky to look at different systems of language, particularly morphology and syntax. Basically, you can make sense of the poem without really knowing what any of the words mean so it presents quite a few useful examples and ideas to toy with. The made up words also help with identifying the different ages kids develop parts of 'adult grammar' across different  languages. Like, if a child can make a plural or singular version out of the made up nouns at a particular age but the kids who are just a bit younger can't do it consistently, then we can see that there's likely a corresponding development stage. The word play in English can't be directly translated either - not only because the words are made up but because the grammar and the sounds are used in a way that is meaningful (like he almost uses onomatopoeia but not quite to get ideas/feelings across - like borogroves sound big or slow or something because of the voiced stops (b, g) and the big round vowels)  so all of that has to be conveyed in a different way in different languages depending on how that kind of meaning is constructed through grammar and phonology. 

I might need a new thesis topic because I can't travel to do field research due to the virus. Maybe I could look at how well ESL speakers can navigate Jabberwocky. I imagine someone with Yuzu's level of English could understand kind of what's going on and identify the types of words (nouns, adjectives, etc) but maybe would miss a bit of that extra level stuff (like what I was saying about the borogroves). But at what point would a non-native speaker begin to pick up on that kind of thing? I feel like that would be somewhere around the difference of Yuzu's and Javi's English.

16 minutes ago, memae said:

In linguistics we often use translated forms of Jabberwocky to look at different systems of language, particularly morphology and syntax. Basically, you can make sense of the poem without really knowing what any of the words mean so it presents quite a few useful examples and ideas to toy with. The made up words also help with identifying the different ages kids develop parts of 'adult grammar' across different  languages. Like, if a child can make a plural or singular version out of the made up nouns at a particular age but the kids who are just a bit younger can't do it consistently, then we can see that there's likely a corresponding development stage. The word play in English can't be directly translated either - not only because the words are made up but because the grammar and the sounds are used in a way that is meaningful (like he almost uses onomatopoeia but not quite to get ideas/feelings across - like borogroves sound big or slow or something because of the voiced stops (b, g) and the big round vowels)  so all of that has to be conveyed in a different way in different languages depending on how that kind of meaning is constructed through grammar and phonology. 

I might need a new thesis topic because I can't travel to do field research due to the virus. Maybe I could look at how well ESL speakers can navigate Jabberwocky. I imagine someone with Yuzu's level of English could understand kind of what's going on and identify the types of words (nouns, adjectives, etc) but maybe would miss a bit of that extra level stuff (like what I was saying about the borogroves). But at what point would a non-native speaker begin to pick up on that kind of thing? I feel like that would be somewhere around the difference of Yuzu's and Javi's English.

Wow.

3 hours ago, Ladysci said:

Salted cherry blossoms are a great taste accent for sweets, kind of like the idea of salt in caramel. It looks pretty and spring-like. For example, in sweet bean paste buns (like a pan) and once I had it as an accent in flan with kuromitsu ( brown sugar syrup), yummy! 

I'm still lost here.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

I'm still lost here.

I found a few  pickling recipes from Googling. It seems like you salt them first to cure them, then you either submerge them in ume plum vinegar and soak them before drying them out and storing them in salt or you can store them in the vinegar - the best way to preserve the colour is to store them dry in the salt (after pickling them in the vinegar for a couple of days). So I guess they have a floral but salty and tart flavour. 

17 時間前, Faithyuさんが言いました:

Some time ago I also searched for it (both Sochi+PC press conference)......without success.

I think it is quite strange that especially from the olympic games the press conferences of the medalists are missing, after all, it is THE sports event:think:.

It should be the easist thing to find out there..........Does anyone know why this isn't the case?

Sochi

PC

Those are the press conferences held in Japan for the foreign media after the Olympic. May not be what you were looking for though....

7 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

Isn't zunda sweet though? I suppose you could make a dessert soup. 

The thing I tried was not sweet at all, but I liked zunda when it was in cookies, milkshakes etc.

2 часа назад, Glory сказал:

As I was watching the 2015 GPF gala I started wondering who chooses which skaters will participate? I know the top 3 or 4 will but do the others just get chosen because they have a unique EX? 

I think it depends on the organizers. Years ago it was smth like 1-5 places, now I think it's more flexible like usually 1-4 places, plus smb. with fun EX like Keegan or Elladj Balde, might be some local skater even with not high place, at CoR there're usually someone local from novice or juniors. At GPF they have also have 1st place from juniors and they had synhro skating final also that year together with others.

1 hour ago, Lunna said:

I think it depends on the organizers. Years ago it was smth like 1-5 places, now I think it's more flexible like usually 1-4 places, plus smb. with fun EX like Keegan or Elladj Balde, might be some local skater even with not high place, at CoR there're usually someone local from novice or juniors. At GPF they have also have 1st place from juniors and they had synhro skating final also that year together with others.

I was so glad Donovan Carrillo was invited to skate at last 4CC gala, though he finished 15th. Indeed I found his gala program better than his SP and FS. I hope he can take a good summer camp.

At 2015 GPF I think there were local skaters who were not competitors? And sometimes there are local synchro skaters.

2 hours ago, memae said:

I found a few  pickling recipes from Googling. It seems like you salt them first to cure them, then you either submerge them in ume plum vinegar and soak them before drying them out and storing them in salt or you can store them in the vinegar - the best way to preserve the colour is to store them dry in the salt (after pickling them in the vinegar for a couple of days). So I guess they have a floral but salty and tart flavour. 

Let's not forget though, that he doesn't like pickles. :juggling:

Of course Pooh-san may.