General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, TallyT said:

I'm wildly impressed by people who translate really densely imaginary language. Mind you, my greatest awe is for the people who have translated one issingle poem.

Jabberwocky.

If that can be done.... anything can.

....:eek:... how would you even do that? I think half the words in that poem are probably untranslateable entirely. Brillig? Slithy toves? Come on! 

28 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

....:eek:... how would you even do that? I think half the words in that poem are probably untranslateable entirely. Brillig? Wythy toves? Come on! 

I know! But my copy ofThe Annotated Alice includes a discussion of several translations including a {gulp} German one, which I can't read but which is apparently highly thought of...

5 時間前, TallyTさんが言いました:

I'm wildly impressed by people who translate really densely imaginary language. Mind you, my greatest awe is for the people who have translated one single poem.

Jabberwocky.

If that can be done.... anything can.

I can never tell how far the Japanese translation here has reached its perfection :eek:

I don't understand well either anyway.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ジャバウォックの詩

You know, Japan is a country of translations, and we have so many materials from novels to scientific ones translated into Japanese from various languages including Chinese, Dutch, English, German, French, etc., along with introducing new ideas and creating new words in Japanese.  And it may be one of the reasons why Japanese are not so good at English in general, as we do not feel the necessity usually.  There are not so many countries where we can receive advanced education in our native language, and Japan is one of them, thanks to excellent translators in the past.  The same can be said for even Novel Prize laureates.  Dr. Toshihide Maskawa said at his Novel Lecture "I'm sorry, I can not speak English." :D    

I have learned so many English words and phrases in this forum.  Thank you, guys :smartass: 

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

Translation from the page. Omitted his competitive story because we all know it by now :P

Spoiler

Skaters live literally on the edge. And that is because after hurling onto the air or spinning like a top, blades of just about 4mm thick are their only grip against the ice.

Figure skating is a combination of agility, speed, strength, flexibility and balance. Judges review every element in a system that rewards the most complete athlete. The one who jumps, spins, glides, connects and interpets better.

[...A summary of his career]

Blessed with ideal physical traits, no one has pushed the limits of the sport as him. His extraordinary flexibility allows him to spin in a way that is almost impossible for the others and his absolute control and spatial coordination allows him to do quadruple jumps easily. After mastering the triple axel and quad toe&sal, he became the first skater to do a quad loop. As if that wasn't enough, he added the quad lutz. And after that, he began to do heart-stopping combos. Now he's planning the hardest so far, the quad axel. A jump so difficult that so far, it seems impossible.

3 hours ago, TallyT said:

I know! But my copy ofThe Annotated Alice includes a discussion of several translations including a {gulp} German one, which I can't read but which is apparently highly thought of...

Good gracious, the very thought makes me dizzy...

But on that note, have you ever seen the parody 'Jabber-whacky', which uses names of commercial products in the place of Lewis Carroll's invented words?  

http://www76.pair.com/keithlim/jabberwocky/parodies/jabberwhacky.html

Sorry to disturb with an unrelated question.  I started to rewatch all Yuzu’s old interviews, programs etc since Mar, and has now come to finishing the PC olympic chapter.  Just that it seems I cannot find the post- short or free program press conferences (with the 3 medalists) of both Sochi and PC olympics.  Wonder if those were ever broadcasted and available still?  But I could find like 1-2 Q&As /screenshot extracted, eg where Yuzu said in Sochi conf that he had the sense of helpless towards earthquake recovery, in a sadly almost crying face... or he gently helped fixing earphone of Shoma...   Thank you first!

6 minutes ago, PoohandYuzu said:

Sorry to disturb with an unrelated question.  I started to rewatch all Yuzu’s old interviews, programs etc since Mar, and has now come to finishing the PC olympic chapter.  Just that it seems I cannot find the post- short or free program press conferences (with the 3 medalists) of both Sochi and PC olympics.  Wonder if those were ever broadcasted and available still?  But I could find like 1-2 Q&As /screenshot extracted, eg where Yuzu said in Sochi conf that he had the sense of helpless towards earthquake recovery, in a sadly almost crying face... or he gently helped fixing earphone of Shoma...   Thank you first!

I don’t think the press conferences were made available in all its entirety, but I am not 100 percent sure. 

Sorry for being off-current topic, but looks like Ice rink Sendai has been re-opened for the public, although the time for the public session is still shorter than before.

According to the OP, they put a notice for visitors which asks them:
-to avoid coming from other prefectures
-to avoid coming when they aren't feeling well
-to wear masks
They also set a disinfectant at the entrance and an acrylic plate at the reception to protect both their staff and visitors from droplets.
And, they have introduced a thermographic camera bought with the donation from Yuzu! :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

According to the OP, there was a plate hung from the camera that said, "this thermographic camera was introduced by the donation from Yuzuru Hanyu senshu."

ETA:

BTW, I was enjoying the sparkly stars sparkling beyond everyone's posts...

BTW2, didn't Tolkien set strict rules on translating LOTR? I heard that was why the Japanese translation wasn't easy to understand. I read it after I grew up and for work and found it very hard to get in the story, but I think it might have been easier if I read it in my childhood because when you are a child, you can read books imagining everything even if you don't understand every single word.

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Good gracious, the very thought makes me dizzy...

But on that note, have you ever seen the parody 'Jabber-whacky', which uses names of commercial products in the place of Lewis Carroll's invented words?  

http://www76.pair.com/keithlim/jabberwocky/parodies/jabberwhacky.html

As I could not get it directly, here are the poem and the copyright mentions :

Jabber-Whacky

Or

On Dreaming, After Falling Asleep Watching TV

Isabelle Di Caprio

'Twas Brillo, and the G.E. Stoves,
Did Procter-Gamble in the Glade;
All Pillsbury were the Taystee loaves
And in a Minute Maid.

"Beware the Station-Break, my son,
The voice that lulls, the ads that vex!
Beware the Doctors Claim, and shun
That horror called Brand-X!"

He took his Q-Tip'd swab in hand;
Long time the Tension Headache fought--
So Dristan he by a Mercury,
And Bayer-break'd in thought.

And as in Bufferin Gulf he stood
The Station-Break, with Rise of Tame,
Came Wisking through the Pride-hazed wood,
And Creme-Rinsed as it came!

Buy one! Buy two! We're almost through!
The Q-Tip'd Dash went Spic and Span!
He Tide Air-Wick, and with Bisquick
Went Aero-Waxing Ban.

"And hast thou Dreft the Station-Break?
Ajax the Breck, Excedrin boy!
Oh, Fab wash day, Cashmere Bouquet!"
He Handi-Wrapped in Joy.

'Twas Brillo, and the G.E. Stoves
Did Procter-Gamble in the Glade;
All Pillsbury were the Taystee loaves,
And in a Minute Maid.

Published in the MAD Magazine paperback Good and MAD.

© Copyright 1963, 1969 by E.C. Publications, Inc.

The parody refers to a lot of products and brands advertised heavily at the time. Some of them aren't around anymore.

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

BTW2, didn't Tolkien set strict rules on translating LOTR? I heard that was why the Japanese translation wasn't easy to understand. I read it after I grew up and for work and found it very hard to get in the story,

I don't know for sure, but I do know that his estate and in particular his son, have kept very strict control over the book since Tolkien died, so it would not surprise me if they control translations too. But even in the original English, the writing style makes it a little bit difficult to get into fully. If, at the start of the book, you don't manage to catch on to Frodo's feelings and start seeing things from his point of view very quickly, you end up getting lost.