General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Also, lae on twitter has translated this!

This is a brilliant video - Yuzu seen through the eyes of a ballet dancer who obviously adores him.  Especially interesting re how Yuzu commands the ice and the relevance if how he holds his head and shoulders. 

49 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

OK, guys, updates on the broadcast of Fantasy on Ice 2014-2019 :cheers:

https://www.fantasy-on-ice.com/broadcast.html

But it seems we have to wait till August 22 and 23 for FaOI Makuhari 2019 on TV Asahi 2 (CS channel) :0007:

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ch/figure/

@sweetwater kindly listed all the upcoming broadcast dates of FaOI in English here:

2 hours ago, Louitunes said:

This is a brilliant video - Yuzu seen through the eyes of a ballet dancer who obviously adores him.  Especially interesting re how Yuzu commands the ice and the relevance if how he holds his head and shoulders. 

It reminded me a lot of Nobu (I think he was with Shizuka A? don't quite remember) talking through Yuzu's H&L step sequence about the arm position and how it made it exceptionally difficult to balance but he made it look so gorgeous and easy (and then he stacked it while trying to do it himself lol)

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

We are getting a lot of this these days! Another dancer reacting to Yuzu haha, although I can’t read Japanese so I don’t know what genre of dance she does

Thank you for sharing! She is a competitive ballroom dancer who has been enjoying watching figure skating for a long time. In this video, she is talking about Yuzu focusing on how he maintains, creates, controls balance. She thinks that when it comes to physical activities, balance is everything, and calls Yuzu "balance no oni." (=a demon at controlling balance) The way she talks about Yuzu's movements is analytical and interesting, so I roughly translated the part she discusses PyeongChang SP and the summary after that. Hope my translation is comprehensible...

(from 02:28)
So, let's take a look at his SP at PyeongChang this time. First of all, this costume looks very good on him. He is very handsome and has a very good figure. Just perfect. 

(Beginning of the program)
Now, I am going to discuss this moment.
First, he rolls his head, and the movement followed by the right half of his body. Then he draws his left shoulder and his left pelvis closer and shifts his weight on his left body. Then he switches direction from forward to backward. I think he is making use of the weight of his arms well. Also, he doesn't change the center of gravity.

(Where he glides backward bringing both arms up)
Then he brings his arms up here and slightly changes direction. Here, it looks that his left shoulder and right pelvis get aligned and transfer enough weight to the floor (ice)

(Where he turns into the spin after SE-4S-SE)
Now, his blade switching direction from forward to backward. First, he is turning while facing the same direction. Then his head follows the rest of his body along with the flow. This part is also super cool.

(Where he goes out of the spin)
Please take a look at how he uses his right hand from here... Here. Do you see he is swinging his right arm around from his elbow? This is where he is creating a balance. 

(Back-outside counter into 3A)
Now he goes into a jump facing forward. It's a triple Axel. Here, he goes into it from going backward. This is very difficult, but he maintains the center of gravity while changing direction, and he has to take off right after that... This should be difficult.

(After 3A)
Hanyu senshu moves his hands very elegantly, especially when he folds his arm as he does here. This is one of the things that make him cooler than other men's singles skaters.

(4T-3T Rippon)
In the next element, he brings his arms up while doing the second jump. This is super difficult, right? What makes this difficult is that you have to bring your arms up without losing momentum to rotate, and you have to bring your arms symmetrically, to maintain your balance. That's why this is difficult but he does it very beautifully. So cool, don't you think?

(Stsq)
Then he goes into the Stsq. I want you to pay attention to how he maintains the alignment between his chest and his knees while moving very fast. After all, even when he is moving this fast, he maintains such coordination.

(Before he goes into the final spin)
And the next thing surprised me was... now, he is rotating counter-clockwise... and this moment, he starts rotating clockwise. I thought he would push with his left foot and rotate on his right foot, but he continues rotating with his left foot. What is difficult about this is that you need so much energy (t/n: to maintain your balance, I guess) when you change the rotating direction, but he can do it naturally by neutralizing the momentum within him. This is a superhuman feat.

(After showing the PyeongChang SP)
What I found incredible about Hanyu senshu is how he control his balance. After all, you need to be able to move all your joints separately to maintain balance. Dolls and scarecrows easily topple when they get slightly off-balance. If they were humans, it is like all of their joints are fixated. If they can move their joints, they can maintain balance even when they stumbled. Dancers like us are focusing on how we can use our joints softly, and I think Hanyu senshu is probably doing the same. I guess he is paying attention especially to hip joints, ankles, and shoulder blades. The way he expresses the sound is so cool. To talk about his physique, he isn't unnecessarily buffed, has a very good figure, looks handsome, and can captivate the audience with his facial expression as well. So I really am his fan.

Next time, I would like to discuss Mao Asada, so if you enjoyed this video, please click on the thumbs-up button. See you in the next video!

4 hours ago, memae said:

It reminded me a lot of Nobu (I think he was with Shizuka A? don't quite remember) talking through Yuzu's H&L step sequence about the arm position and how it made it exceptionally difficult to balance but he made it look so gorgeous and easy (and then he stacked it while trying to do it himself lol)

For the record, it was Shizuka who did H&L Stsq first without much upper body movement and then with upper body movements full of up-and-down to show how it affects the difficulty and the GOE. Nobu tried to prove the same point doing a loop turn with and without upper body movement and that's when he tripped. He also demonstrated how the angle of the upper body would affect the success rate of the loop jump. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

Thank you for sharing! She is a competitive ballroom dancer who has been enjoying watching figure skating for a long time. In this video, she is talking about Yuzu focusing on how he maintains, creates, controls balance. She thinks that when it comes to physical activities, balance is everything, and calls Yuzu "balance no oni." (=a demon at controlling balance) The way she talks about Yuzu's movements is analytical and interesting, so I roughly translated the part she discusses PyeongChang SP and the summary after that. Hope my translation is comprehensible...

For the record, it was Shizuka who did H&L Stsq first without much upper body movement and then with upper body movements full of up-and-down to show how it affects the difficulty and the GOE. Nobu tried to prove the same point doing a loop turn with and without upper body movement and that's when he tripped. He also demonstrated how the angle of the upper body would affect the success rate of the loop jump. 

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for the time and effort translating!! 🙆🏻‍♀️

3 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Hide contents

thank you so much ,it's very interesting.everything about the balance sounds so right ,it's what dancers are told but doing it at the speed of a figure skater really,it's incredible.

Also another one fell for Yuzuru's elegant/expressive hands!

3 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Hide contents

But... Shizuka Arakawa and Nobunari Oda have been filmed in Avignon, France!

44 minutes ago, TallyT said:

I love the way dancers, artists, musicians - those who have the gifts and experience to know - appreciate Yuzu for the marvel he is.

And also point out facets of his excellence the rest of us weren't aware of yet. It's like getting to know Yuzu all over again! :love:

5 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Hide contents

Thank you so much @sweetwater for your translation 🙏

I didn't saw this H&L analysis  by Shizuka, Nobu & Shuzo previously:softYuzu:  So touching to watch Shizuka skate to H&L  <3