General Yuzuru Chat

39 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I could actually use one, to be honest. Right now I have a cloth mask that ends up crumpled in the bottom of my purse. Something to contain it would be very handy.

I'm afraid my cloth mask is a bit bulky to be put into the mask file.... But hey, it's Yuzu file after all 😏, and I could definitely find a use for it!

Assuming I could even get my hand on it in the first place 😅😫😢😭😭

30 minutes ago, barbara said:

And is there a way for a US citizen to become a Canadian citizen when they marry?

You mean the equivalent of a green card marriage? I think so but the people who pursue that avenue are not usually US citizens but from other places. And it's a two-year process.

A

33 minutes ago, barbara said:

Is there an emoji that would represent me pulling my hair out? 

This one? :smiley_hairpull:

In the case I mentioned, I believe the wife opted to stay in the US rather than come home, I can't recall. If it was me I'd be kissing the husband goodbye and telling him not to worry, I'd be fine, and then I'd come on home. But that's me. 

3 hours ago, Fay said:

He might be great friends with insects, but not so keen on pigeons.

A little run after is not "not being so keen". He know better than anyone, that everybody need exercise, and urban pigeons may become too sedentary. ;-)

2 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Yes, we do have our share of dangerous insects.  The most well-know among them is the Suzume-bachi (sparrow-hornets) - the infamous killer hornets.  We also have mukade (giant centipede) which can be poisonous...   They all have the right to live, and we can co-habit by maintaining social distance!

To stay on topic: we also have the sweet honey bees (mitsu-bachi), beloved by Yuzu.  They are welcome everywhere.  

This one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

Brrr! And a honey-bee and mantis killer, by the way.

Well, I suppose it is this subspecies :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_giant_hornet?oldid=568892157

39 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You mean the equivalent of a green card marriage? I think so but the people who pursue that avenue are not usually US citizens but from other places. And it's a two-year process.

A

This one? :smiley_hairpull:

In the case I mentioned, I believe the wife opted to stay in the US rather than come home, I can't recall. If it was me I'd be kissing the husband goodbye and telling him not to worry, I'd be fine, and then I'd come on home. But that's me. 

I would have, too.  That way, maybe he could come later, but the baby would be a Canadian.  (And that emoji has already pulled her hair out....)

1 minute ago, barbara said:

I would have, too.  That way, maybe he could come later, but the baby would be a Canadian.  (And that emoji has already pulled her hair out....)

There's the theory, then there's the experience (but giving birth in an unplanned place in the USA may be even more scary).

Maybe because I'm coming from a region where fathers are considered giving birth along with mothers ("couvade")? (In Japan, the Ainus are reported to have it too.)

6 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Today we celebrate the Insects (Mushi) in Japan.  It's a word play on the number six (Muttsu) for June and four (shi) for day 4.   I was fortunate to attend a Japanese primary school (in Tokyo) for my first grade and part of second grade.  In looking back, I now appreciate much of what I learned in those two years, one of which was to learn to love and appreciate insects - something that was definitely not taught at American schools that I attended later while overseas.   One of the mandatory science curriculum for the first graders is to capture and take care of grasshoppers, for which we were all given a special clear plastic container to house the bugs.  We would all go out into the nearby field or park to look for a grasshopper, capture one and keep it for a day or two, feeding cucumber pieces and giving them droplets of water to drink.  We released them later after writing our "observational report".  It made us observe these creatures carefully and not be afraid to touch them and pet them.  This was a school in the middle of Tokyo - but we were fortunate to have parks and temple grounds where we could find grasshoppers ("batta").  Over the summer vacation, many of us went insect hunting with nets. The big horned beetles mentioned by Yuzu were very popular among boys (who competed for the most formidable looking ones).  Near the end of that summer, I remember catching a "suzu-mushi" - a bell-cricket  - which makes beautiful melodious chiming calls that poignantly remind us that the summer is coming to an end...  

A description of suzu-mushi:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloimorpha_japonicus

So perhaps it is not so unusual that Yuzu displays his love of insects, as this is something we all learn in schools in Japan.  But his care and concern for bugs on ice is very unusual and shows his mindfulness and ability to notice the smallest things and to show compassion and respect for the weak.  Reminds me of the Jain priests who sweep the ground before them to avoid inadvertently stepping on and hurting insects and other life forms.... 

The tradition of keeping bell crickets in baskets goes back a long way. Here is a photo of the suzumushi in a traditional bamboo cage, being presented to the divine spirits in a Shinto ritual at the start of the fall season.  For the girls of the Showa era (my generation) it was the cool thing to have suzumushi as a pet.  But alas, for the boys of Yuzu's generation, it seems they were into "Mushiking" - a video game of cartoon beetles as mentioned by @sweetwater, not the actual combat of the real Kabuto-mushi.  

hagimaturisinji091-thumb.jpg

Source: https://www.leafkyoto.net/blog/kyonikki/2009/09/post_445.html

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

There's the theory, then there's the experience (but giving birth in an unplanned place in the USA may be even more scary).

Maybe because I'm coming from a region where fathers are considered giving birth along with mothers ("couvade")? (In Japan, the Ainus are reported to have it too.)

We're getting way off topic here, but in my opinion the most important thing  for a mother giving birth is that she feel comfortable, happy, and secure...I personally wouldn't need my husband (if i had one) around for that, but I would need to be physically in a location that felt right to me. But as I said, it's an individual choice. 

2 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

This edit gives me life :rofl2:

Now I won't be able to think about all the medals he got without thinking how each Pooh proudly wears one :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

Disney should really make this a thing:dancingpooh: I would totally buy all of them :tumblr_inline_n0o1fjLfy91qid2nw:

32 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

This book is once again available for pre-order on Amazon.

The publisher assured that they would continue doing their best to make it available for fans trying to buy it from outside of Japan!

6 hours ago, Umebachi said:

The tradition of keeping bell crickets in baskets goes back a long way. Here is a photo of the suzumushi in a traditional bamboo cage, being presented to the divine spirits in a Shinto ritual at the start of the fall season.  For the girls of the Showa era (my generation) it was the cool thing to have suzumushi as a pet.  But alas, for the boys of Yuzu's generation, it seems they were into "Mushiking" - a video game of cartoon beetles as mentioned by @sweetwater, not the actual combat of the real Kabuto-mushi.  

hagimaturisinji091-thumb.jpg

Source: https://www.leafkyoto.net/blog/kyonikki/2009/09/post_445.html

We had a cricket cage when I was a child - my father traveled frequently to Japan on business and it was a gift to him.  And to have a cricket in your hearth has been a sign of good luck in Scottish and English culture (myths, really) for hundreds of years.  I even have a very old cricket fashioned from metal, that was my grandmother's, that sits in my hearth still (collecting dust..)

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

We're getting way off topic here, but in my opinion the most important thing  for a mother giving birth is that she feel comfortable, happy, and secure...I personally wouldn't need my husband (if i had one) around for that, but I would need to be physically in a location that felt right to me. But as I said, it's an individual choice. 

Wow - this started out with a mention of how strict entry into Canada is. I was kind of joking when  I suggested the mom have the baby in Canada with or without the dad so the baby could be a Canadian. Parents do what they feel comfortable with.  Dad's were very present and welcome in delivery rooms 42 years ago and, I think, more so today. But, it's a choice.  

I just kind of hope that the pregnant Canadian was able, somehow, to petition to get entry for her husband.