General Yuzuru Chat

All the speculation about when Yuzu might return to Toronto seems to be leaving out one major factor, and that is, whether there will be a 2020/21 season.  Already the three initial competitions in the JPG have been canceled.  Of course that is easier for the junior level since the competitions are less attended so the economic considerations are considerably less.  Skate Canada has said publicly that it will not firmly commit itself to a go or a cancellation until August.  That is easy to comprehend since economic elements of the senior GP are much more consequential. 

We also have to take into account what international travel restrictions might be in play as we approach the beginnings of the 20/21 season (if it is to happen).  I would also advise that it's unwise to draw comparisons with the NHL as it starts dealing with any return to normalcy.  The thing is that its audiences will be overwhelmingly Canadian and American.  There is very much less international travel involved for its spectators and athletes.  That can't be said for athletics on a wide international level.  International borders must be open almost everywhere in order for athletes and spectators to get to the particular competitions.  Another factor that needs to be considered is what might happen should there be a resurgence of the virus as we approach next winter.  That might mean that all the barriers will be reestablished.  The ISU has to look not only at the open borders and lack of lockdowns as we move into whatever potential season might emerge as to the possibility that we will all go through the whole thing again come year's end. 

The one element that can change the whole prospect would be the development of a vaccine and/or a treatment to deal with those who already have the virus.  With talk of such a vaccine being available close to the end of this year and also positive results for a treatment of the virus, that throws all that stuff in the air.  Several governments have already committed considerable sums of money to support mass immunizations once a vaccine is available.

As to Yuzu and his asthma I think we must take into account what measures have been developed over the years to deal with his asthma.  I do know that images of him on hands and knees after a program gasping for breath are far more numerous in events in those years when he was first involved in senior level competition than they are now.  Moreover there is no major evidence that asthma increases the vulnerability to the virus.  Most of the evidence sees asthma as basically a neutral element when looking at an individual's overall vulnerability.  That's why I think we might be putting too much emphasis on Yuzu's asthmatic situation, particularly when it's quite obvious that whatever elements have been put in place over the years to considerably lessen the incidence of Yuzu's on-ice near collapses have been effective.

All in all I think those who fear Yuzu's asthma might prevent his entry into Canada are overreacting.  It's travel restrictions on the international level that are the major factor in the ISU's decision to move forward into the season.  Even then those elements will evaporate if an effective vaccine becomes available or an antiviral medication is developed.  If one or the other becomes a reality then I think it's all systems go.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

I think most of the time when FS people talk about 'consistency', they're referencing the ability to skate a clean program and in particular to land every jump 'cleanly' . Both things which one can get by sticking to a heavily-repeated program layout. I think the fact that Yuzu changes his layout according to conditions and is still able to land almost everything exceedingly well speaks to a different skill, that of knowing all your individual elements inside and out and being able to shift on the fly no matter what's happening. 

As an analogy, Nathan is like the guy who learned to prepare a bunch of recipes perfectly and so he has a reputation as a good cook, and Yuzu is the guy who knows every cooking techniques there is, has an intimate understanding of the science of taste and flavour, and fearlessly draws on this knowledge to whip up amazing and delicious new dishes that no one has ever tasted before. 

Brilliant analogy! :clapping-smiley:

29 минут назад, micaelis сказал:

All the speculation about when Yuzu might return to Toronto seems to be leaving out one major factor, and that is, whether there will be a 2020/21 season.

I think we all don't know what will happen with the season, still I believe most athletes will prefer to keep training even in these times (Yuzu might have a lot more time to conquer that 4A now). Also I believe it's better to train with your coaches by your side and not on skype.

Whenever Yuzu is right now I'm sure he tries his best to keep form and doing what he can at the time.

22 分, micaelisさんが言いました:

All the speculation about when Yuzu might return to Toronto seems to be leaving out one major factor, and that is, whether there will be a 2020/21 season.  Already the three initial competitions in the JPG have been canceled.  Of course that is easier for the junior level since the competitions are less attended so the economic considerations are considerably less.  Skate Canada has said publicly that it will not firmly commit itself to a go or a cancellation until August.  That is easy to comprehend since economic elements of the senior GP are much more consequential. 

We also have to take into account what international travel restrictions might be in play as we approach the beginnings of the 20/21 season (if it is to happen).  I would also advise that it's unwise to draw comparisons with the NHL as it starts dealing with any return to normalcy.  The thing is that its audiences will be overwhelmingly Canadian and American.  There is very much less international travel involved for its spectators and athletes.  That can't be said for athletics on a wide international level.  International borders must be open almost everywhere in order for athletes and spectators to get to the particular competitions.  Another factor that needs to be considered is what might happen should there be a resurgence of the virus as we approach next winter.  That might mean that all the barriers will be reestablished.  The ISU has to look not only at the open borders and lack of lockdowns as we move into whatever potential season might emerge as to the possibility that we will all go through the whole thing again come year's end. 

The one element that can change the whole prospect would be the development of a vaccine and/or a treatment to deal with those who already have the virus.  With talk of such a vaccine being available close to the end of this year and also positive results for a treatment of the virus, that throws all that stuff in the air.  Several governments have already committed considerable sums of money to support mass immunizations once a vaccine is available.

So, you think he is in Japan? I think he never left Toronto in the first place. He is too clever, so he might not have taken the risk of returning to Japan, thinking he might not be able to re-enter Toronto.

No evidence. Just a wild guess and a little hope.

2 minutes ago, Kazu said:

So, you think he is in Japan? I think he never left Toronto in the first place. He is too clever, so he might not have taken the risk of returning to Japan, thinking he might not be able to re-enter Toronto.

No evidence. Just a wild guess and a little hope.

I agree. Worlds were scheduled for March 16-22 in Montreal, and weren't officially cancelled until March 11, so I think it's extremely unlikely that he would have left Toronto before then (especially with Worlds so nearby this year). Even after cancellation, international travel to Japan would've been way riskier than just staying put in Canada, with no guarantee of when he'd be able to re-enter. Again, no evidence, but just my guess!

32 minutes ago, Fay said:

Do those Atlas beetles make honey?
Pooh-san

36 minutes ago, micaelis said:

There's a big caveat on the hope of a specific vaccine, from previous animal researches on other coronaviri (?) (MERS and SARS-CoV 1) : antibody production is satisfactory, but later contact with the virus may result in potentially fatal inflammatory reaction, which led to stop research.

Though it seems many less specific vaccines may work also for this coronavirus.

But this is getting a bit out of topic here, as there is a dedicated thread for this epidemic.

I read too, asthma was not a big risk factor. Also, vitamin C, vitamin D... and previous exposition to diseases producing "SARS-CoV 2-efficient antibodies" are protective (I've read a survey showing that 95% of children in childcare had some coronavirus antibody which would protect them against this one). I tend to think international athletes are more likely to have been exposed previously to another coronavirus than sedentary people.

But I repeat, though I know he is not at big risk of dying if he is contaminated, he must avoid any contamination because, in case he should not be already immunised (or have sufficient T-cells, but this can be measured after all), if he catches the virus, even without symptom he may get the specific lung lesions which would lower his lung capacity and may force him to r:censor:e.

He certainly knows it and we know him to be prudent, and may be so particularly with international flights, and airports.