General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Google is my best friend and I just usually search for example "2015 GPF isuresults" and I can find all the protocols with just two clicks

That's what I did for the ones i got, but i didn't want to have to do it for every single competition I was looking up...what I wanted was a page with the  list of competitions that had only a single link for each competition going directly to the detailed protocol .pdfs with no clicks in between...guess it doesn't exist!

10 minutes ago, happy_fish said:

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, I haven't been keeping up with this thread --

Does anybody know when we should expect to hear about whether Autumn Classic International is going to go forward? I just checked my records and last year I bought the tickets on June 13, which is coming up soon. I think I saw something about 3 months notice, but not sure if that was only for the GP series. 

Thanks!

Consensus opinion  here is that ACI likely won't take place with any audience in attendance...s o I personally haven't even bothered to look for tickets at all. 

Maybe some of the competitions could try what the NRL here did (they have just started crowdless competitions), and fans can pay a small amount for a life-size cutout of their photo to be put in a seat. Sure there were pranks (some folk bought 'seast' for their pets, and there were a couple of not so nice ones with pictures of criminals - and Dominic Cummings - but for the most part it was popular and they appear to be going to keep it.

8 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Sad that Rakuten wasn't so convenient for fans outside of Japan. If it were not for COVID-19, Amazon would have had a large stock of the photo book. I heard that they are temporarily focusing on delivering daily necessities and have less stock of books than usual.

When a book gets translated into another language, I think it is usually the foreign publisher who takes the initiative. Each country has its unique distribution system and the publisher should know their market well. When a Japanese company translates a foreign book, a translater proposes a plan to a publisher or a publisher asks a translator to read the book and make a resume to see its marketability. If the publisher thinks it is marketable, they acquire translation rights and start working on it. I am interested in how publishers in Vietnam, China, and Taiwan decided to publish Aoi Honoo in their languages. I found this a few days ago. It says the OP found Aoi Honoo in a bookstore in Vietnam.

Thank you!  That's very interesting that most of the translations are occurring in E Asia region... 

13 hours ago, Henni147 said:

My favorite is still Boyangman's planned content from 4CC this year with backloaded 4A+1Eu+3S :embSwan:

The boy knows what's the real deal.

You know it! Just look at those flashy golden blades! (As an actual magpie, I snapped to attention at every glint of them at GPF lol). 

16 hours ago, barbara said:

There are so many levels of asthma and I do not know where Yuzu sits on the scale of mild to severe, but  '"A recent commentary published in Lancet by a group of European researchers called it “striking” that asthma appeared “to be underrepresented in the comorbidities reported for patients with Covid-19” '  and, just released two days ago   "Interestingly, research so far does not suggest any link between having asthma and getting a more severe COVID-19 illness, or between asthma and coronavirus deaths.   Whether this is because the SARS-CoV-2 virus doesn’t affect people with asthma in the same way as other respiratory viruses, or because there simply isn’t enough data yet, remains to be seen. "  Of course, Canada can designate asthma as an exclusionary condition for participation in sport, though that clearly is for the protection of the athlete and not a worry about transmission of the virus.

Yuzuru and his mother would not return to Toronto is they felt he was at increased risk of getting ill, but there is not evidence at this time saying he would be at greater risk. He wouldn't want to have "special treatment" as far as restrictions are concerned.

But I think this is presently moot.  He's not going to leave a rink where he can practice to come back and be quarantined for 14 days.  Until this 14-day restriction is lifted, I doubt he will return.

I hope all restrictions, including the quarantine requirement, will be relaxed some in the next month or two. Jun and Jason and Evgenia and other skaters are also not going to be able to train at TCC for the foreseeable future.  

Keep our faith in science.

Note: unless they have particular health conditions/are on immune-suppressing drugs I don't know about, Jun, Jason, Evgenia, and any other elite foreign skaters may be allowed to come and skate in Ontario, provided they are permitted to enter Canada. As I've said before, they are already letting in foreign NHL hockey players into the GTA as special exceptions, provided they first quarantine for 14 days.  So it may be SkOn is applying for certain elite skaters to come back as well, based on that.  We'll see what happens!

Re: asthma and COVID-19

That's interesting!  Since it's still relatively early days in research terms, however, and there is still plenty we don't know with a very high degree of certainty about COVID-19.  The science on some studies has been less than stellar (for a recent example the Lancet scandal that broke in the past day or so), which means however striking the information seems to you and me, do SkOn and do public health agencies here consider it certain enough to risk bringing a high-risk individual in, when already they are stretching the rules to have any elite foreign athletes return here?  Therefore when the rules explicitly state "lung disease" I wouldn't be surprised if SkOn might be going for a broad stroke to protect those athletes, for there may be liability issues they have to consider.  That whole list was about protecting individuals who at are perceived to be at higher-risk, not punishing them.  SkOn may want to avoid the bad optics of letting a high-risk individual go to a rink and have them fall ill, especially if that someone is as famous as Yuzu, though I don't think those rules were aimed at any single individual, but based on public health's guidance. 

I strongly suspect Yuzu has the patience and discipline to handle a required 14-day quarantine.  That's relatively little compared to the recovery time for some of his injuries.  If he wants the highest level of feedback from Ghislain (or any of his coaches) over a long period and not for a week or two at a time supplemented by videos, then it would be ideal for both to be at the same rink, if it is allowed.  It would only be foolish to go through self-isolation if he wouldn't be permitted to skate here and I doubt his team would forget to get a guarantee about that before departing Japan.

More importantly, I honestly can't see Canada being so foolish as to toss the 14-day quarantine any time soon (and by soon I mean this summer at the very least), given that Ontario has been having challenges in testing and really reducing cases down to the level that public health has felt comfortable moving quickly in re-opening.  Why would we want to muck up any of our hard-won positive results by ending the need to self-isolate too soon?  Especially before having months of data about how domestic travel alone is affecting case numbers?  I'm not sure it's something anyone should wish for under the circumstances. Limiting international travel strictly and making self-isolation a requirement has clearly helped us; differences among the provinces' situations are linked to when travel was restricted (the theory that the date of Québec's spring break lead to it becoming the biggest epicentre here).  In fact, I would be deeply disappointed if they did away with mandatory self-isolation for anyone but for certain essential workers, considering that international travel certainly already lead to the disease getting into the community.  Maybe a certain few countries might be considered safe enough someday to be exceptions (NZ? Australia? Taiwan?), but those would be places where the disease had demonstrably been stamped out over a long period.  But even then it might be felt that the risks of traveling among others in a plane would mean even nationals from say NZ are not a safe enough bet to come in w/o self-isolating first.  

Again, it's terrible to have to think this way, when normally it's fantastic to have people from all over visiting and working here.  Canada normally should be a country that welcomes visitors from around the globe here enthusiastically.  But under these particular extraordinary circumstances, non-Canadians need to respect that Canada will temporarily want to avoid having visitors here unless they are willing to self-isolate for enough time to be absolutely sure they didn't bring the disease here.  We managed to avoid the worst level of outbreak of COVID-19 so far, why risk that unnecessarily? 

8 minutes ago, Ririka said:

Some pics of Yuzu finding bugs on the rinks! How adorable hehehehe

Ever since I saw these pics, whenever I see a bug I keep second guessing if I should squash it like usual or let it be... And if I do squash it because it's annoying, I would feel a pang of guilt thinking Yuzu would have saved it somehow :oops:

11 minutes ago, Ririka said:

Some pics of Yuzu finding bugs on the rinks! How adorable hehehehe

he is very kind

Just now, amylance1215 said:

Ever since I saw these pics, whenever I see a bug I keep second guessing if I should squash it like usual or let it be... And if I do squash it because it's annoying, I would feel a pang of guilt thinking Yuzu would have saved it somehow :oops:

in this way, yuzu will probably save bugs worldwide 

he's a brilliant soul