General Yuzuru Chat

49 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Truthfully, consistent jumping is the only aspect, where Nathan is slightly in front at the moment. In all other 138907435 aspects of figure skating Yuzu is superior and not only by a little. It annoys me that media makes it sound like consistency alone justifies such stellar scores and beats well-rounded skating with such a ridiculously huge margin.

It's a nice interview by Kovtun, though. He already got me with his insta post after Saitama last year.

I bet Yuzuru Hanyu would be perfectly consistent on Nathan Chen's jumps — I mean, with crossover entry, or a little entry at best and a good time before the jump, and little or no transition. Should Brian Orser convince him it is good training, I'm sure he could do any of Nathan Chen's programs anytime, without a fall.

While I have always known Nathan Chen could never do any of Yuzuru Hanyu's programs, even with triples instead of quads, even allowing any number of falls; and as somebody here said a few weeks ago, nobody could skate the first 30 seconds of Origin, I would go farther : I wonder if Nathan Chen could skate the first 30 seconds of any of Yuzuru Hanyu's recent programs, even Ballade where the 14 first seconds are still and there is no jump (but probably other skaters could, less beautifully of course).

So, we are in a situation of the mere fact of landing more or less (remember than a two-hand-landing by Nathan Chen can get him positive GOEs) easier quads, is scored higher than landing not always (but most of the time) perfectly harder quads.

Oh, and as to the consistency which may be rewarded by judges due to their belated equipment, it is the quality of jumps. He really has a perfect consistency there : either his jumps don't pass perfectly because there is a little fault (though often they remain more beautiful than "correct" jumps by some other skaters) and it is perfectly visible, or they pass, and then, judges can be satisfied that they are perfect, can't they?

3 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

If google translate is not wrong, it seems there will be a new Yuzu photo collection released on June 17 :)

I know there is one being released June 19 titled:  YUZU'LL BE BACK II 羽生結弦写真集2019~2020 (Dancin'on The Edge3) (Japanese) Tankobon Hardcover – June 19, 2020.  I pre-ordered it from Amazon.jp - is this another one?

1 hour ago, barbara said:

I know there is one being released June 19 titled:  YUZU'LL BE BACK II 羽生結弦写真集2019~2020 (Dancin'on The Edge3) (Japanese) Tankobon Hardcover – June 19, 2020.  I pre-ordered it from Amazon.jp - is this another one?

Yes, it's another one from Hochi Shimbun, and it'll be released on 17 June.  So there'll be three photobooks released in June, the Ice Jewels season photobook which came out yesterday, the Hochi photobook and Dancin'on The Edge3 on June 19.

1 hour ago, IULIANA said:

Guys, consistency counts ONLY for the chosen ones, you know, from chosen feds, with chosen support, etc. 

You only get consistency from doing the same thing over and over and over again, robotically almost. Which means that skaters who are 'consistent' are not growing and evolving and taking risks. Yuzu is always innovating, always trying to go one better, to do more. Therefore, saying he's not consistent is irrelevant; the concept is simply not applicable to what he does. Unlike Nathan, Yuzu is skating a different program layout nearly every time. We should be celebrating his ability to continually produce good performances in spite of that. He should be getting bonus points for his creativity and innovation. The judges are smoking the good stuff if they can't see that.

48 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Yes, it's another one from Hochi Shimbun, and it'll be released on 17 June.  So there'll be three photobooks released in June, the Ice Jewels season photobook which came out yesterday, the Hochi photobook and Dancin'on The Edge3 on June 19.

Which one has the Yuzu and Javi photo again? Because that image is absolute pure goodness....

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Which one has the Yuzu and Javi photo again? Because that image is absolute pure goodness....

Good question - I'd like to know, too, but I have a feeling it's the Ice Jewels since that one is out and available, at least to the people in Japan.  Does it depend on who took the photo?  Last years Ice Jewels is "by" someone, who may be the photographer but doesn't seem to credit the photos (though that might be because I can't read Japanese).  The only other two photo books I have, Yuzu and Yuzu II, are from a single photographer.

50 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You only get consistency from doing the same thing over and over and over again, robotically almost. Which means that skaters who are 'consistent' are not growing and evolving and taking risks. Yuzu is always innovating, always trying to go one better, to do more. Therefore, saying he's not consistent is irrelevant; the concept is simply not applicable to what he does. Unlike Nathan, Yuzu is skating a different program layout nearly every time. We should be celebrating his ability to continually produce good performances in spite of that. He should be getting bonus points for his creativity and innovation. The judges are smoking the good stuff if they can't see that.

To make clear: consistency is a very broad term. It can mean:

1. constantly performing at the limits of your own ability

2. regularly medalling at international events

3. having a solid placement in the rankings for a long period of time (no big ups and downs)

4. skating clean programs again and again

5. doing the same stuff on repeat with no change

6. continuous improvement or stagnation (maybe even regression)

Taking that into consideration, Nathan's biggest weapon is skating clean in the big events (GPF, Worlds). Rotating your jumps and staying on your feet. That protects you from the PCS cap and with the right passport the judges do the rest for you.

Reminder: Nathan doesn't skate clean in every competition either. Especially at the beginning of the season he has some wobbles as well, but as long as Yuzu isn't there, it doesn't matter, because the rest of the field is too far away in BV to be dangerous. Nathan only has to be foot perfect against Yuzu and he somehow managed to do that in Saitama and Torino. I guess that his key to success is practicing his current jump arsenal on repeat and prepare himself mentally for the clash with Yuzu. That's it.

I love how everyone in the media ignores the fact that the base value of Yuzu's planned content in Torino was higher than Nathan's. It's another story that he couldn't execute everything as planned, but Yuzuru Hanyu is not trailing Nathan Chen in the quad race anymore. It's the opposite. With the new BV changes of the 4Lz and the 4Lo and a potential 4A in the bag Yuzu's technical advantage will even grow. It's bold to assume that Nathan is unbeatable. Yuzu needs one clean competition and things have turned upside down again.

26 минут назад, Henni147 сказал:

Yuzu needs one clean competition and things have turned upside down again.

The problem is that too much depends on GOEs now and pity that Yuzu must be foot perfect to get deserved GOEs and even then it can be lower

44 minutes ago, Lunna said:

The problem is that too much depends on GOEs now and pity that Yuzu must be foot perfect to get deserved GOEs and even then it can be lower

If Yuzu skates foot perfect with two brand new programs, 4A and a higher base value than Nathan, there is absolutely nothing left to justify Nathan's victory.

Sure, Yuzu needs a miracle to make that happen, but I mean... miracles are the specialty of Yuzuru Hanyu.

2 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

The Yuzu and Javi picture is from the Ice Jewels photobook. The Ice Jewels one always contains pictures taken by Nobuaki Tanaka.

Well, boo.  Now I'm going to have to order that one, too.  I suppose I can use some of the money I saved when Worlds were cancelled.  A consolation prize.

5 минут назад, Henni147 сказал:

If Yuzu skates foot perfect with two brand new programs, 4A and a higher base value than Nathan, there is absolutely nothing left to justify Nathan's victory.

I'm already not so sure, but then we can see if at least 1% dignity is left in judges.

Though I'm more sad that Yuzu gets hard punishment even for not many mistakes and not 100% rewarded for his great elements, so he needs to be foot perfect and 4A on top of it.

3 minutes ago, barbara said:

Well, boo.  Now I'm going to have to order that one, too.  I suppose I can use some of the money I saved when Worlds were cancelled.  A consolation prize.

All three photobooks look promising. I have always liked the Ice Jewels one but the reviews of the previous Dancin'on the edge photobook were also good.

I haven't ordered anything for a long while, so I'll think about which ones to buy a bit later.