General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, CaroSkate said:

My favorite spin in swan is the part when he slowly bent his leg in camel position during the last spin. It always gives me goosebumps.:redface:

I found out that it's called the Grafström Camel spin (or Grafström Camel in short). The three-time Olympic champion, Gillis Grafström, performed that special spin variation in the 1920's and later it was named after him. However, at some point it disappeared from competitive skating. I guess this is one of those "little markers" that Belinda Noonan mentioned after Yuzu's gala performance in Pyeongchang.

I tried to find all the historic markers in Notte Stellata (not every single step or spin position, but those moves and elements that visibly strike out in Yuzu's performance):

• 0:44 This is a circle, right? THE basic figure that started it all actually. The first precise description was in Robert Jones' instructional book about figure skating in 1772.
  • 1:12 An accelerating twizzle with 10 revolutions. I'm not an expert, but I think that this is quite a lot, even in ice dance. The term 'twizzle' appeared first in 1934, but it only had one revolution at that time. Twizzles with multiple revolutions became popular in the 1980's.
  • 1:34 Extended layback Ina Bauer. Bauer invented this move in the 1950's and Shizuka upgraded it to the deep layback variation about 50 years later.
  • 1:58 The travelling Camel spin entry. The funny thing is: this entry was invented by a roller skater named Rick Mullican in 1958.
  • 2:01 The Camel spin position. This spin was originally meant to be performed by ladies only. Also, there's still no consensus, who the actual inventor of this spin position is. It's either Cecilia Colledge from Great Britain or a mysterious Australian skater named Campbell. However, Colledge was the first to perform it in competition in 1935.
  • 2:19 The Biellmann layback spin. It's interesting that this spin is named after Denise Biellmann, although she hasn't invented it. The first who performed it in competition was Tamara Moskvina in 1960. There are sources that mention Cecilia Colledge doing a one-handed Biellmann in 1934 already.
  • 2:42 Inside edge Hydroblading with spread arms. Ronnie Robertson from the US has regularly performed the move since the 1950's, decades later Shae-Lynne Bourne and Victor Kraatz popularized it.
  • 2:48 Spread Eagle cascade. This move can be found in sources from the 19th century and earlier. It feels like, it's always been there.
  • 3:08 Sit twizzle. Truthfully, I couldn't find its origin really, but it must be a relatively new twizzle variation (considering that twizzles in general are the chickens of figure skating elements)...
  • 3:24 Delayed single Axel. It's the oldest figure skating jump landed successfully in competition in 1882 by Axel Paulsen from Norway.
  • 3:31 Triple Axel with twizzle entry and exit. The first 3A in competition was landed by Vem Taylor in 1978. However, the twizzle-sandwich variation is a specific Yuzu thing. (I think, it's fair to name it the Hanyu-Axel or... the other Hanyu-Axel, since THE Hanyu-Axel is surely the back counter-highkick variation, aye?)
  • 3:51 A backward pancake sit spiral. I guess, this is another Yuzu fusion-invention of three different moves in one.
  • 3:58 The flying Camel spin entry or Button Camel. Named after Dick Button, who invented this entry in the 1940's.
  • 4:02 The Grafström Camel variation mentioned above.

So Yuzu merged skating history of different centuries (18th to 21st), disciplines (men, ladies, ice dance) and types (roller and ice skating) in one performance.

He revived some lost elements like the delayed single Axel or the Grafström Camel, he varied old moves and created new ones. So pretty much everything you can do to honor past, present and future.

Sometimes commentators/pundits make such a fuss about naming elements after luminaries of sport.  Well ISU threw Lutz out of the window this week, so that rather emphasises how much they care about the history of the sport.

Thank you for this analysis.  I really enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I found out that it's called the Grafström Camel spin (or Grafström Camel in short). The three-time Olympic champion, Gillis Grafström, performed that special spin variation in the 1920's and later it was named after him. However, at some point it disappeared from competitive skating. I guess this is one of those "little markers" that Belinda Noonan mentioned after Yuzu's gala performance in Pyeongchang.

I tried to find all the historic markers in Notte Stellata (not every single step or spin position, but those moves and elements that visibly strike out in Yuzu's performance):

• 0:44 This is a circle, right? THE basic figure that started it all actually. The first precise description was in Robert Jones' instructional book about figure skating in 1772.
  • 1:12 An accelerating twizzle with 10 revolutions. I'm not an expert, but I think that this is quite a lot, even in ice dance. The term 'twizzle' appeared first in 1934, but it only had one revolution at that time. Twizzles with multiple revolutions became popular in the 1980's.
  • 1:34 Extended layback Ina Bauer. Bauer invented this move in the 1950's and Shizuka upgraded it to the deep layback variation about 50 years later.
  • 1:58 The travelling Camel spin entry. The funny thing is: this entry was invented by a roller skater named Rick Mullican in 1958.
  • 2:01 The Camel spin position. This spin was originally meant to be performed by ladies only. Also, there's still no consensus, who the actual inventor of this spin position is. It's either Cecilia Colledge from Great Britain or a mysterious Australian skater named Campbell. However, Colledge was the first to perform it in competition in 1935.
  • 2:19 The Biellmann layback spin. It's interesting that this spin is named after Denise Biellmann, although she hasn't invented it. The first who performed it in competition was Tamara Moskvina in 1960. There are sources that mention Cecilia Colledge doing a one-handed Biellmann in 1934 already.
  • 2:42 Inside edge Hydroblading with spread arms. Ronnie Robertson from the US has regularly performed the move since the 1950's, decades later Shae-Lynne Bourne and Victor Kraatz popularized it.
  • 2:48 Spread Eagle cascade. This move can be found in sources from the 19th century and earlier. It feels like, it's always been there.
  • 3:08 Sit twizzle. Truthfully, I couldn't find its origin really, but it must be a realtively new twizzle variation (considering that twizzles in general are the chickens of figure skating elements)...
  • 3:24 Delayed single Axel. It's the oldest figure skating jump landed successfully in competition in 1882 by Axel Paulsen from Norway.
  • 3:31 Triple Axel with twizzle entry and exit. The first 3A in competition was landed by Vem Taylor in 1978. However, the twizzle-sandwich variation is a specific Yuzu thing. (I think, it's fair to name it the Hanyu-Axel or... the other Hanyu-Axel, since THE Hanyu-Axel is surely the back counter-highkick variation, aye?)
  • 3:51 A backward pancake sit spiral. I guess, this is another Yuzu fusion-invention of three different moves in one.
  • 3:58 The flying Camel spin entry or Button Camel. Named after Dick Button, who invented this entry in the 1940's.

So Yuzu merged skating history of different centuries (18th to 21st), disciplines (men, ladies, ice dance) and types (roller and ice skating) in one performance.

He revived some lost elements like the delayed single Axel or the Grafström Camel, he varied old moves and created new ones. So pretty much everything you can do to honor past, present and future.

Thanks so much! I've wondered since the Olympics gala just what Belinda Noonan meant when she said he had shown that he had studied the history of figure skating...it's so interesting :reading:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

• 3:08 Sit twizzle. Truthfully, I couldn't find its origin really, but it must be a realtively new twizzle variation (considering that twizzles in general are the chickens of figure skating elements)...

Fascinating thank you so much for sharing ,some facts are completely new to me it so now I have the urge to know more....of course I also feel the need to rewatch NS ...the sacrifice 😉

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Thank you so much for this so interesting (and hard) work.

I see you added it in the Youtube comments, in answer to Vivian's question.

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Amazing! As Tracy Wilson said before he’s surely a “student of the sport”, he can probably do a test on the history of figure skating haha

Also speaking of elements named after skaters, I wish we had an element named after Yuzu, his name deserves to be carved into the history of the sport in this manner as well. Idk like maybe calling the back counter-3A the “Hanyu Axel” or something haha

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Amazing! As Tracy Wilson said before he’s surely a “student of the sport”, he can probably do a test on the history of figure skating haha

Also speaking of elements named after skaters, I wish we had an element named after Yuzu, his name deserves to be carved into the history of the sport in this manner as well. Idk like maybe calling the back counter-3A the “Hanyu Axel” or something haha

I thought we'd all agreed that getting a catastrophic injury in the fall and coming back to win a major competition in February or March with little on-ice training was henceforth to be known as 'pulling a Yuzu' or maybe, 'the Hanyu maneuver" ? He's done it twice now.   (yes I know he only got silver in 2019 - but a lesser man would have failed to podium so I count it a win).

Joking apart, I think the one that is going to end up named after him is the side lunge pistol pose from PW. Everything else he does already has names.

9 hours ago, Henni147 said:

thanks for your sharing it is very interesting!

maybe I can add some other points I found:

1. delayed single axel follow by twizzle into triple axel, I remember Kurt Browning commented that delay axel is how people used to learn axels. It is the starting point of triple axel. It represents a history of Axel (jump) evolution.

2. in the end, Yuzuru did one foot spin --> two-foot spin -->skate forward-->T-stop, that's how people start to learn figure skating. He rarely do two-foot spin but it is choreographed in Notte Stellata.

15 minutes ago, JanMary said:

thanks for your sharing it is very interesting!

maybe I can add some other points I found:

1. delayed single axel follow by twizzle into triple axel, I remember Kurt Browning commented that delay axel is how people used to learn axels. It is the starting point of triple axel. It represents a history of Axel (jump) evolution.

2. in the end, Yuzuru did one foot spin --> two-foot spin -->skate forward-->T-stop, that's how people start to learn figure skating. He rarely do two-foot spin but it is choreographed in Notte Stellata.

honestly his mind....and your knowledge too guys!

stopping from those spins also is pretty impressive in general and especially when Yuzuru does it,the control one needs to execute something like this.I don't skate so there's that but to me spins always look incredible.

9 hours ago, Fay said:

Is it OK that I want one?? duuum duuum da duuum :ummm: Its such a classy programme and music .... I'm not one for trinkets usually!! .... but somehow I like it, and the film makes it look like it is made with such love and care .... yes, I think I would be happy to open such a gift, I'll send my daughter the link and see if she takes the hint !!!:xD:

(oh wait, she won't, she's 17 and thinks only of herself lol!)

58 minutes ago, mercedes said:

It’s here 😉

Thank youuuu!!