General Yuzuru Chat

15 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I think you meant to say a Robertson or square screw. The Robertson screwdriver and screw were invented by a Canadian and is probably the best screwdriver/screw combination around because there is no risk of the square screw head being stripped.

The Philips screwdriver and screw were invented by an American in Oregon.

So now I know what kind of screw was used in the original construction of the outdoor shower I am rebuilding. I had never heard of this kind of screw and do not have a Robertson screwdriver - but, fortunately, do have a little square screw tip to attach to a handheld device.  Still, getting those long set-in screws manually, was not any easy task.  I'd say I'd pick up one of these next time I'm in Canada, but since I've never seen the screws before, I hope I won't need it.  (But I would like to go to Canada,  Soon.  Now.)

3 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Javi was in diapers at Sochi? His butt looked so streamlined, I would never have guessed :D  

Truthfully, I thought exactly the same thing :embSwan:

Off-season 2030. Anonymous call in Spain.

"Habiiiii....? Can we comp-"

"Sure, but how can we compete with different flags?"

"We hack into their computer system and change the flags."

"You are crazy."

"Is this a Yes?" :animated-smileys-animals-047:

2 hours ago, barbara said:

So now I know what kind of screw was used in the original construction of the outdoor shower I am rebuilding. I had never heard of this kind of screw and do not have a Robertson screwdriver - but, fortunately, do have a little square screw tip to attach to a handheld device.  Still, getting those long set-in screws manually, was not any easy task.  I'd say I'd pick up one of these next time I'm in Canada, but since I've never seen the screws before, I hope I won't need it.  (But I would like to go to Canada,  Soon.  Now.)

The story of the Robertson, and why they're not common in the US. From Wikipedia:

A Robertson, also known as a square[35] or Scrulox[36] screw drive is specified as ANSI Type III Square Center and has a square-shaped socket in the screw head and a square protrusion on the tool. Both the tool and the socket have a slight taper. Originally to make the manufacture of the screws practical using cold forming of the heads,[15]:79–81 this taper provides two other advantages which have served to popularize the drive: it makes inserting the tool easier, and tends to help keep the screw on the tool tip without the user needing to hold it there.[citation needed] Robertson screws are commonplace in Canada, though they have been used elsewhere[15]:85–86 and have become much more common in other countries. As patents expired and awareness of their advantages spread, Robertson fasteners have become popular in woodworking and in general construction. Combination Robertson/Phillips drives are often used in the electrical trade, particularly in device and breaker terminals, as well as clamp connectors.

Robertson screwdrivers are easy to use one-handed, because the tapered socket tends to retain the screw, even if it is shaken.[15]:85–86 They also allow for the use of angled screw drivers and trim head screws. The socket-headed Robertson screws are self-centering, reduce cam out, stop a power tool when set, and can be removed if painted over or old and rusty.[15]:85–86 In industry, they speed up production and reduce product damage.[15]:85–86

The internal-wrenching square socket drive for screws (as well as the corresponding triangular socket drive) was conceived several decades before the Canadian P. L. Robertson invented the Robertson screw and screwdriver in 1906 and received the Canadian patent in 1907 (CA103387, U.S. Patent CA103,387A) and US patent 1911 (U.S. Patent 1,003,657) for a manufacturing machine. An earlier patent covering both square-socket- and triangle-socket-drive wood screws, U.S. Patent 161,390, was issued to one Allan Cummings of New York City on March 30, 1875. However, as with other clever drive types conceived and patented in the 1860s through 1890s, it was not manufactured widely (if at all) during its patent lifespan due to the difficulty and expense of doing so at the time.[15]:79–81 Robertson's breakthrough in 1908 was to design the socket's taper and proportions in such a combination that the heads could be easily and successfully cold formed,[15]:79–81 which is what made such screws a valuable commercial proposition. Today, cold forming (by stamping in a die) is still the common method used for most screws sold, although rotary broaching is also common now. Linear broaching to cut corners into a drilled hole (similar to the action of a mortising machine for woodworking) has also been used (less commonly) over the decades.

Robertson had licensed the screw design to a maker in England, but the party that he was dealing with intentionally drove the licensee company into bankruptcy and purchased the rights at a reduced price from the trustee, thus circumventing the original agreement.[citation needed] Robertson spent a small fortune buying back the rights, and subsequently refused to allow anyone else to make the screws under license. When Henry Ford tried out the Robertson screws, he found that they saved considerable time in Model T production, but when Robertson refused to license the screw design, Ford realized that the supply of screws would not be guaranteed and chose to limit their use in production to Ford's Canadian division.[37][38][39] Robertson's refusal to license his screws prevented their widespread adoption in the United States, where the more widely-licensed Phillips head gained wider acceptance. The restriction of licensing of Robertson's internal-wrenching square may have sped the development of the internal-wrenching hexagon, although documentation of this is limited.

A new variation of the Robertson drive is the Nüvo Drive System, in which the screws are compatible with Robertson drive tools, but the screws have rounded lobes that, when used with Nüvo drivers, "dramatically reduce wobbling and stripping out, enabling single-handed operation".[40]

• 308px-Robertson_screwdrivers.jpg

Let me know if you want me to send you one
57 minutes ago, azelais said:

So apparently this is the ninth image to pop up if you google image search "Yuzuru Hanyu"...

G.O.A.T of the Rink? - Shotaro Honda Moore - Medium

:laughing: It's from this article about Yuzu being the figure skating GOAT

I have an irrational mild fear of goats. (I think it’s the eyes.) That is a cursed image. Gonna go find that Pooh plushie I bought for Worlds to hug now.  :smiley-scared003:

As Yuzu once said, I have a trauma.

2 minutes ago, river said:

I have an irrational mild fear of goats. (I think it’s the eyes.) That is a cursed image. Gonna go find that Pooh plushie I bought for Worlds to hug now. :smiley-scared003:

Does this mean that I have to take back the goat plushy with the realistic staring eyes that I bought for you?