General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Thanks to the randomness of Google, I just came across this gem of an article from the 2017 Worlds. Poor Javi!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/sports/dazzling-free-skate-lifts-yuzuru-hanyu-to-world-title.html

I love the spirit of friendship both Javi and Yuzu display.  You know that Javi had to be disappointed for himself, but happy for Yuzu - and Yuzu coming off the ice and putting his medal on Javi demonstrates what the "mates" part of training mates is all about.  What a team.

3 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

@SitTwizzle  I rang the small animals practice annexed to our local university's Veterinary Science department and the advice was not to get a kitten until the lockdown is lifted.

in what country?  In the states (not that I am in anyway recommending this currently insane and dangerous place), there's a story almost everyday about an animal shelter having all of their animals adopted. Quarantine pals.  I do hope that people don't return or abandon their new pets when they are able to go back to a workplace, but it's always nice to see the last dog walk of out an animal control center...

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

Knowing Zuzu he will either submit old video from JOC or will write long essay and show his whole RT.:happy0007:

If he pulls a Rika and shows off his 4A practice, I'll need smelling salts. At the very least. 

18 minutes ago, barbara said:

in what country?  In the states (not that I am in anyway recommending this currently insane and dangerous place), there's a story almost everyday about an animal shelter having all of their animals adopted. Quarantine pals.  I do hope that people don't return or abandon their new pets when they are able to go back to a workplace, but it's always nice to see the last dog walk of out an animal control center...

The UK.  Vets are only taking emergency cases and no new registrations.

1 minute ago, CaroSkate said:

A random thought: After watching the home rinks of different skaters, I really think that TCC is by far the most beautiful rink. Wonder if there are other rinks in this wooden style.

And no boards to get in the way.  Also laid on sand rather than concrete according to BO which he seemed to think was an advantage- more shock absorbing perhaps?  Bit like a sprung dance floor?

4分鐘前, Sombreuil說:

And no boards to get in the way.  Also laid on sand rather than concrete according to BO which he seemed to think was an advantage- more shock absorbing perhaps?  Bit like a sprung dance floor?

And no hockey lines:2lbkos0:

1 minute ago, CaroSkate said:

A random thought: After watching the home rinks of different skaters, I really think that TCC is by far the most beautiful rink. Wonder if there are other rinks in this wooden style.

I don't think so. At least I've never seen one like it. Most rinks look more like concrete barns

Speaking of rinks... I don't know if this belongs to this thread, or Music Talk, or another.

New rinks, or refurbished rings, tend to be more energy and water efficient, so they can no more be those warehouses.

Yet they are still acoustically awful.

The reason why I wasn't interested in skating or gym when I was a child, was the terrible sound. By then I only perceived the bad quality of the stereo (or mono) systems, now solved.

But there are still these problems of reverberation, which were particularly acute for instance in Seoul at 4CC (maybe they were too busy with avoiding propagation of the virus to dwell on the quality of ice and sound, and they did well). I know it depends on factors such as how full are the seats, but nowadays it is so easy to have mobile, adjustable panels on walls or ceiling, why is it not done? And I am speaking of basic anti-reverberation device, not sophisticated equipment such as the Piano Festival of La Roque d'Anthéron had already, back in the 80es, I can tell you it was a wonder, it is no mystery why Krystian Zimerman was a frequent guest. I think even this could be achieved nowadays at a reasonable cost.

There's a video of Yuzuru Hanyu studying the acoustics of a rink before skating, I suppose it is important to him and a great endeavour to adapt, I don't know if it is to other skaters... or to audience.

I found only this on the subject, and it is about rather basic considerations.

http://www.chuck-wright.com/Skating/rinksound.html

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I don't think so. At least I've never seen one like it. Most rinks look more like concrete barns

The ice rink in my home town- a college town - has wooden beams in the "canopy" which was built in 1962.  Before that, the rink was open.  Really beautiful though until the rink was totally enclosed seven years later, it was like a wind tunnel and crazy cold.  It was built for the college hockey team but town residents have always been able to use it whenever there wasn't a practice or game for the team.  (I mostly skated on frozen ponds so this was the only "flat" ice I ever skated on.

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

The UK.  Vets are only taking emergency cases and no new registrations.

The vets here (in Arizona - it's different in every state) see animals by appt only and you have to call when you're in the parking lot and then someone comes out to retrieve your animal.  Only the animal gets to go into the office.  I adopted a new dog four weeks ago and she was able to get in a couple of days later - but I already have an established relationship with that vet.  I have no idea how they're dealing with emergencies currently, but I know they aren't doing elective things, like teeth cleaning.